The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Well, its destinations were in Asia and North America with Jo’burg thrown in during the winter months. Whatever demand still exists to those airports is easily satisfied with the remainder of their long haul fleet.

Nobody knows how the next couple of years are going to be, so perhaps the A380s may return unexpectedly. From my personal POV as a passenger, the A350 is every bit as nice, so the loss of the A380 is not actually that annoying.

60 anni delle Frecce Tricolori

Headphones. Loud. Now.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Low flying B25

Beautiful filmography (and the most beautiful modern fighter)

In other aviation news, Rolls Royce was selected to provide the new engines for the B52 fleet.

The RR F130 is based on their business jet engine, specifically the BR725 that powers the Gulfstream G650.

While I might not like the purpose of these machines, I admire the fact that it will now have a useful lifetime of possibly over 100 years.

Last edited:
I am going to throw this in here despite it seeming out of place.

Speaking of "just leaving things here" my darling spouse (yes, I did it again, I'm a fucking idiot!) left me this on the dining table this morning before she left for work. Not a bad way to start a 52nd birthday that's for sure.

1b8f67fb8070d744e5e017b59bceb4ec.jpg

Well this was new ? I spent about two hours halfway between the gate and runway at FRA today. One of the engines wouldn't start well, apparently one of the hydraulic valves that controls the air powered startup procedure didn't open fully. Some faffing around in the cockpit later, a new valve was mounted and off we went.

This was the patient:

PXL_20211022_061254524.jpg

At least I had a front row seat to watch the goings-on at a busy airport :wub:
(File too large)

Last edited:
Enjoy Gran Canaria!

That app you used for the speed readout looks nice, can I ask what it’s called?
? :driving:?
What app is that?

Superold, mildly nerdy, been using it since my first android device ?

Ignoring the delay, the flight itself was quite pleasant... Widebody amenities for dirt cheap, enjoyed best from 1A :blush:

Maybe we could rope in @lip to come along for the next one.

Reactions: lip
Maybe we could rope in @lip to come along for the next one.
+ I've been there twice so far. Awesome stuff. - There is a small chairlift about halfway up, the rest you have to hike. But the scenery is stunning, and the BRRRT action is very close.

+ It really is a unique experience, I don't think there is another airshow in the world were live ammo gets spouted infront of a crowd like this, and were you can see the flying gun and the target at the same time. Also the way the F18's dive down after going over the mountain tops is a sight to behold. - As good as they are, these youtube videos just can't transport the thrill.

+ Important tip: You have to catch a place at the front of the visitor space otherwise as soon as the show starts all the people with cameras (read: most of the crowd) naturally stand up, forcing everybody else to stand too for the whole day when the crowd is packed. - But if you're at the front, you can comfortably sit and enjoy. LOL

- The high alpine weather has rapid changes, so it can happen that the show sometimes gets cancelled by the last minute. And I don't mean postponed, I do mean cancelled.