Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Aren’t we used to ‘here’s the same phone as last year with a minuscule detail altered’ yet?

What confused and scares me is that how easily people are willing to pay over 1k€ just to have the latest whatever. Or am I just too poor/not nerdy enough?

500-700€ should still get you a top of the range phone IMO.

Also everything’s too large. Even my XR is too big to use with one hand, whats with the tablet sized phones? 5” was perfect!

Also everything’s too large. Even my XR is too big to use with one hand, whats with the tablet sized phones? 5” was perfect!
iPhone 12/13 mini says hello… They are really the only non-phablet smartphone flagships on the market.

Aren’t we used to ‘here’s the same phone as last year with a minuscule detail altered’ yet?

What confused and scares me is that how easily people are willing to pay over 1k€ just to have the latest whatever. Or am I just too poor/not nerdy enough?

I think we're aging up to the point of "what I have still works fine, why change it?" Which is fine, I like keep stuff into there's actually something broken on it that makes repairs unworthy.

I know people that buy new every year, get their phone with a trade in plan and pay extra to upgrade every year, or every other year.

I know people that buy new every year, get their phone with a trade in plan and pay extra to upgrade every year, or every other year.

Yes I’m old, but this makes no sense to me. You’re just constatly paying!
Size is another thing, I was in the ‘if it ain’t broke I won’t replace it’ camp.

I was given a an iPhone XR through work but actually prefer a smaller, Android based phone.

Then again, #firstworldproblems

Yes I’m old, but this makes no sense to me. You’re just constatly paying!
Size is another thing, I was in the ‘if it ain’t broke I won’t replace it’ camp.

I was given a an iPhone XR through work but actually prefer a smaller, Android based phone.

Then again, #firstworldproblems

I don't understand it either.

I don't understand it either.
Back when there much larger differences with the new whatever tech thing, upgrading every year made more sense but now? You can stand to keep the phone much longer which is really good.

TIL Discord has a text to speech function and those that leave discord on with desktop speakers seem to have been shocked by it. :D

1633378996886.png

Last edited:
On the left, Windows Update tells me I can't install Windows 11 and to check why not with the "integrity tool" (lol). On the right, said integrity tool tells me, that I should be able to install Windows 11. Thanks Microsoft, go home, you're drunk!

1633538211001.png

Also, I thought I'd get a Windows Hello compatible webcam for my PC... don't want to constantly put in my crappy password. Yeah, that didn't work either. Windows keep telling me it can't "start the camera". The camera refuses to update the firmware ("not connected" despite showing me a friggin picture on the screen!). Thanks for that crap - sending it back, can't be bothered to spend hours on such bullshit. It was supposed to make life easier damn it.

Do you want your windows 11 update to go smoothly?

Step 1: Wait six months.

I think I won’t even try the upgrade, but do a clean install once I get a new SSD some time soon. Current system that I run has been going since Win7 over 8, 8.1 and 10, and I’m surprised that it’s still as stable as it is.

Sooo recommendations request!
my wife has thrown her redmi note 5 around and spidered it up real good. It’s still useable, but only just. It’ll maybe get her to Christmas? Also it’s a 3yo Chinese Budget phone…

so, what to get? since I went apple 2y ago, I haven’t really paid attention to the android space, but a quick look for anything sub 6“ that doesnt seem super dodgy or expensive basically gets me the pixel 4a. Anything else?
also I’d get her an iPhone (11 maybe?), but she’s convinced that’s all too expensive… (SE is out because shit battery I guess).

12 Mini if she doesn't want an SE. Get her a D3O cover and she can use it for hackey sack practice without too much bother. If she is more economically minded, remind her Apple products recieve software updates for longer and their resale value is generally higher than comparable Android devices.

Between that and the SE starting at $399, I've had serious trouble recommending Android phones recently

Yeah, that could be an idea. I think I might have to force it on her :D Thanks!
Only thing that makes me worry about the 12 mini is the tiny-ass battery... but then again, the phone spends a lot of time actually idling (i.e. low screen on time) for her, which iOS generally (still?) handles well / better than android.

I wouldn't worry about the battery. Although I don't "constantly" use my 12 mini, as pointed out by some pedantic person, mine doesn't exactly live in my pocket all day. I am frequently looking up medication dosing, checking drug interactions, and similar things very frequently, and I usually only charge my phone every other day, and frequently every 3 days.

"Hmm, what's the oldest CPU which can run Windows 11?" It turns out it's likely the Pentium 4 "Cedar Mill" from 2006...

Sooo… why is my core i5 from a few years ago considered ‘obsolete’?

Go home Microsoft, you’re drunk!

If it was a full rewrite, maybe, but it isn't. I'm still five clicks away from a Windows NT interface.

Also, it's TPM 2.0. that's the reason it's obsolete.

Also, it's TPM 2.0. that's the reason it's obsolete.
Which is another crazy thing, as far as I understand it, because the feature just has to be there, it doesn't even necessarily get used (except for OEM machines), no? :-?