Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

PBS's Brief but Spectacular series is quite often so good.

Let me sum this up. The Texas Legislature wrote a bad regulation, are now upset that the power companies and the gas companies are not ready for another big freeze because they are following the regulation. So will the state that hates regulations write more regulations to fix it?

This was brought up in the Covid thread and isnt the right place for it but I still want to discuss it.

Because the vaccines are so effective at preventing serious illness, COVID deaths are also showing a partisan pattern. COVID is still a national crisis, but the worst forms of it are increasingly concentrated in red America.

Dying to own the Libs.

Let me sum this up. The Texas Legislature wrote a bad regulation, are now upset that the power companies and the gas companies are not ready for another big freeze because they are following the regulation. So will the state that hates regulations write more regulations to fix it?
It's the only thing we actually wanted in this state, and I can truly say "we" as in the rare thing everyone here can actually agree on: fix our hooptie-ass electrical grid so we don't kill a bunch of folks again.

What did they not do? Fix out hooptie-ass electrical grid.

I'm so done with this garbage fire of a state.

Read the list of banned terms. It includes "intersection", so no drivers training.​

I've never seen a better summary of Texas' state politics than this sign:

They told us that globalization was better for everyone...

And it is, but that means on global-catastrophe events, everyone suffers.

Curiously enough, we have the local version of that article for selected items. If you want a Crunch bar or a Kellog's cereal, to use food examples, you can't have them locally, because manufacturers in Mexico that would ordinarily supply this region have elected to ship everything to the US to combat the shortage. This is also true for things like Weather-Tech products, T-Shirts, and, curiously enough, Nintendo Switch games.

And that's just the things I have personally researched locally and asked for an explanation of.

I really hope that stands, but I have zero faith left in the judiciary to adhere to precedent anymore after, well, everything else that's happened with this. The judge's written opinion is truly incredible, though. Absolutely rips this stupid move from Texas' idiot leadership to shreds.

They told us that globalization was better for everyone...
...yep. I can't find anywhere to take my stupid car for a basic bumper repair. Everywhere I'd potentially let touch a finicky bumper cover is backlogged waiting on parts. I've even started to ask friends in Houston (3ish? hours away) if they know anywhere trustworthy that'd take it on. It's ridiculous.

I guess there's an upside to picking up presents as I see them before holidays roll around, and of also not having a huge list of folks to shop for. :/

...yep. I can't find anywhere to take my stupid car for a basic bumper repair. Everywhere I'd potentially let touch a finicky bumper cover is backlogged waiting on parts. I've even started to ask friends in Houston (3ish? hours away) if they know anywhere trustworthy that'd take it on. It's ridiculous.

I guess there's an upside to picking up presents as I see them before holidays roll around, and of also not having a huge list of folks to shop for. :/
You mean a trade war with China didn't help?

File under Trump Fever -

Imagine ambushing, not politicians, but parents walking their child to school. I don't think it looks good but Lara Trump thinks different

How is it political that threatening elected officials earns you a check up from law enforcement?

This is the Republican party