Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Well, a proper van has a full frame! /s

Are they not offering the 3.2 Powerstroke in the Transit anymore?

Don't forget, we also get a Nissan full size van. It's more American looking than the Transit/Promaster/Sprinter. I mean, it's sort of ugly, in the way it looks like a van trying to push a truck out the front.

View attachment 3562773

When was the last time a full size van had a full frame? GM vans have been uni-bodies for a very long time.

When was the last time a full size van had a full frame? GM vans have been uni-bodies for a very long time.
The Express van isn’t body on frame?

Are they not offering the 3.2 Powerstroke in the Transit anymore?

Not sure if it's the same 3.2 as we got here, but they dropped it in Europe, probably for emissions reasons because why else.

Even the Fiat (Ram Promaster) is body on frame and has been since the beginning of time afaik. You can buy any length you want, or even just half the van and build the rest yourself. All the greasy bits are in front of or under the driver, so you can bolt anything you like on the back. All you need to do is wire the lights and plumb the brakes.

So, I asked if I could rent or borrow a courtesy car. Anything with wheels and motive power would do. I got a Q5 55 TFSIe. :D

Weird spec. S-line badges, flat white exterior, tiny infotainment screen with no touch (wtf??!) that I can't figure out how to display a normal radio screen. It's always in a menu of some sort. Tiny wheels with lots of rubber, dispite the s-line. Black basic cloth seats with manual adjustment BUT massaging. No handsfree tailgate opening, BUT it has air suspension.

It also came with a depleted traction battery which means I've been running it on dino juice. The ICE kicks in after a car length or so, far from seamless in most cases. Braking is also weird and devoid of feel, but maybe that's par for the course with PHEVs?

Big thanks to the VW dealer.

According to the Wikipedia, it is body on frame. I stand corrected.

I know the Astro was uni-body with a front sub frame (borrowing heavily from the S10/G-Body design is memory serves me right). And they had fiberglass leaf springs in the rear (like a Corvette?).

Last edited:
Yeah, but...

85abba797fbac9757acd74a8b4db2b86.jpg

I know the Astro was uni-body with a front sub frame (borrowing heavily from the S10/G-Body design is memory serves me right). And they hand fiberglass leaf springs in the rear (like a Corvette?).

I had a 70s era Chevy van and a 92 Chevy that were both uni-bodies. I just assumed that they would have stayed the course.

I had a 70s era Chevy van and a 92 Chevy that were both uni-bodies. I just assumed that they would have stayed the course.

Looking into it, I may have assumed that all GM vans had full frames being that I have only been under a 1998 1-ton ambulance. Which would have been a cutaway model delivered to the ambulance body manufacturer.

Now I can't remember what that 1985ish Econoline I had that I pulled the 351W, C6 and 9" rear out of had...

I can't contribute much to this conversation, but I do know that an old Monster Truck video has a swimming Ford Aerostar. :D

Looking into it, I may have assumed that all GM vans had full frames being that I have only been under a 1998 1-ton ambulance. Which would have been a cutaway model delivered to the ambulance body manufacturer.

Now I can't remember what that 1985ish Econoline I had that I pulled the 351W, C6 and 9" rear out of had...

I use to work at a vehicle rental company and we rented those by the ton and I can't remember what they were either.

I've actually test driven all the full size vans lately, and yeah, they're all body-on-frame - even the GM's. The G-series vans were also body-on-frame, and those go back to '64. The *ASTRO*, however, was unibody. Almost all the smaller vans were.

The Ford Econolines were, notoriously, semi-compatible with F-series parts, in fact. Quigley 4x4 operated for the longest time essentially just mashing off-the-rack F-series bits under Econolines. Now they have to do a bit more engineering.

Incidentally, in the 1-ton class, if you're buying anything but a Transit you're doing it wrong. Which is to say EVERYBODY is doing it wrong, because I almost never see them. Everyone buys Expresses and Promasters except Amazon.

(We're thinking about spinning up a mobile arm to the dog grooming empire. At present I am obstinately considering fitting out our own vans because for the pricetags the upfitters want I could literally build *a building*, as opposed to a van that can only house one revenue employee)

I've actually test driven all the full size vans lately, and yeah, they're all body-on-frame - even the GM's. The G-series vans were also body-on-frame, and those go back to '64. The *ASTRO*, however, was unibody. Almost all the smaller vans were.

The Ford Econolines were, notoriously, semi-compatible with F-series parts, in fact. Quigley 4x4 operated for the longest time essentially just mashing off-the-rack F-series bits under Econolines. Now they have to do a bit more engineering.

Incidentally, in the 1-ton class, if you're buying anything but a Transit you're doing it wrong. Which is to say EVERYBODY is doing it wrong, because I almost never see them. Everyone buys Expresses and Promasters except Amazon.

(We're thinking about spinning up a mobile arm to the dog grooming empire. At present I am obstinately considering fitting out our own vans because for the pricetags the upfitters want I could literally build *a building*, as opposed to a van that can only house one revenue employee)

No sir, the G body GM vans were uni-bodies.

ChassisEdit

In line with the two previous generations, the third-generation G-series vans again used unibody construction, integrating the frame rails into the floorpan; the side panels were constructed of a single-piece stamping.[2] The model line was offered three wheelbase lengths: 110 inches, 125 inches, and 146 inches. From 1971 to 1989, the 146-inch wheelbase was used for cutaway chassis; for 1990, a single rear-wheel version was introduced for an extended-length van body.[3]

Sold the all season tyres I had for the Tesla, a guy collected them not long ago. Got a decent price considering how quick they sold. The local dealer has the car I reserved now after it was brought down from Sheffield today. They still need to give me a price for the Model 3.

Nothing is set in stone yet with this particular car but I'm sure that this model of car is right for me. If this one isn't right I know of another one coming up for sale soon with a similar spec. I like messing with y'all so I'm not giving it away, sometimes there is a clue but if you notice it then keep it to yourself. :p

Y you so sure? Could be a Yaris, Ypsilon... licks finger and turns page Yeti, YRV, Yukon. :LOL:

Bit more subtle. Like, really subtle.