Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

2021_toyota_camry_sedan_xle_fq_oem_1_1600.jpg

Standard equipment on the upper trim levels is: "Leather-trimmed seats with seatback pockets; 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support; 8-way power-adjustable front passenger seat". You can actually get Cloth and Softex on lower trims.
Right... surrre it is.

I don't like leather seats, real or vegan. Too hot, too shiny, too tacky, too slippery.
Give me a nice cloth seat instead. Alcantara, if possible.

I found the vegan leather seats in the Tesla to be very sweaty while completely lacking the nice feel of real leather. I'd also prefer cloth or half-leather, which is why the next car has full leather in it. I was forced as it's literally impossible to get cloth in the trim I wanted, however I have some nice fitted covers on the way to try.

2021_toyota_camry_sedan_xle_fq_oem_1_1600.jpg

Standard equipment on the upper trim levels is: "Leather-trimmed seats with seatback pockets; 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support; 8-way power-adjustable front passenger seat". You can actually get Cloth and Softex on lower trims.
"Leather trimmed" is a key word, I think. If it's anything like my Mazda, only the center panels of the seats that touch your back and ass/upper thighs are leather, and every other piece is "leatherette". If I remember right, in some BMW 3s series (and it may even be the case in my car, I don't know) only the front seats had leather, the back were all faux leather/polyurethane, aka PU (which isn't used that much because when you say it, it sounds like "pee-eww").

UltraFabrics has a line of polyurethane faux leathers that I've used in a commercial upholstery setting, and it holds up damn well, even compared to real leather, which actually stretches more than some faux leathers. They colors age quite differently, but as far ad durability does, I've got nothing against high-quality fauxs....but disclose it, damnit.

You are correct, the seating surfaces are leather with the rest made of a high-grade vinyl. I'm fine with it. You get leather on your bum and it's less maintenance intensive than actual complete leather seats.

But fine, let's not look at the camry. Here's a VW with full leather alongside some other vehicles with leather seating.

1635284922303.png
1635285045771.png

Hyundai Sonata Limited:

1635285451831.png

Subaru:
1635285786791.png

Just answering @93Flareside's question: "When was the last time a car had actual leather in it". October 26, 2021. Answer may change tomorrow :p

Yeah the coating, surfacing or finish of modern automotive leather can make it feel faker than it is.

. The colors age quite differently, but as far ad durability does, I've got nothing against high-quality fauxs....but disclose it, damnit.

This. A million times this. I get that ‘plastic’ and ‘pee-uwe’ aren’t good sounding names, but decide on a name and have everyone call it that

I pulled up the buildsheet for my VIN. It talks about Nappa leather but also "faux leather" (finnish: keinonahka) in the same VIN lookup.

A different subject to pleather, here's something else to ponder:

21321.jpg

Even if it's used for the max 75L it can treat, it still costs about 20% more per litre than the E5 super unleaded we get here. Maybe better than supermarket super unleaded but how about compared to BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power?

Below is a local news story about a wrong way driver on an Interstate highway. He was 91 years old. He died when he struck and killed another person.

I understand the need for people to be able to drive, but does their freedom to drive need to end when they are a danger to others? I know this is a long fought battle, but I truly believe yearly or bi-yearly testing needs to happen for folks over 75. Perhaps by a doctor rather than the DMV.

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 11-02-51 Neosho man, Sarcoxie woman killed in wrong way head-on colli...png

Below is a local news story about a wrong way driver on an Interstate highway. He was 91 years old. He died when he struck and killed another person.

I understand the need for people to be able to drive, but does their freedom to drive need to end when they are a danger to others? I know this is a long fought battle, but I truly believe yearly or bi-yearly testing needs to happen for folks over 75. Perhaps by a doctor rather than the DMV.

View attachment 3562851

Easy for me to say at my age, but I sure hope it gets better that there is more testing to help combat this. But with drivers testing being as easy and affordable as it is here when you first get your license, how can we be fair on the other end as well?

The problem is I expect a vast majority of over 75s will fail any test that gets close to something a new driver would take, simple as that. It's a really difficult situation because you not only take away freedoms of the elderly but inevitably put more load on public transport that already isn't adequate.

I agree that it should be done, the only way I can see to enforce anything it is to force elderly drivers (who can pass a really basic test) into new cars with driver aids. That will do one of three things: Minimise risk should they have an accident, price them out or make them give up driving out of disgust for these 'newfangled things'.

Last edited:

View attachment 3562851

I am for retesting every driver every time they renew their license. We need to weed out all the bad drivers.

We can also extend the length of the license to 5 years.

Terrible loss for the woody community.

Easy for me to say at my age, but I sure hope it gets better that there is more testing to help combat this. But with drivers testing being as easy and affordable as it is here when you first get your license, how can we be fair on the other end as well?

There is seemingly no good answer, so we just continue as is. I remember a number of years back there was a local elderly man that lost his license. He just continued to drive without one. Of course there's lots of people out there doing that too. Usually ones that lost it to a DWI/DUI.

I agree that licensing for the other end should be more difficult (and I failed twice!).

The problem is I expect a vast majority of over 75s will fail any test that gets close to something a new driver would take, simple as that. It's a really difficult situation because you not only take away freedoms of the elderly but inevitably put more load on public transport that already isn't adequate.

I agree that it should be done, the only way I can see to enforce anything it is to force elderly drivers (who can pass a really basic test) into new cars with driver aids. That will do one of three things: Minimise risk should they have an accident, price them out or make them give up driving out of disgust for these 'newfangled things'.

It becomes worse out here in middle America where there isn't really public transport to speak of. These people have always driven.

I am for retesting every driver every time they renew their license. We need to weed out all the bad drivers.

We can also extend the length of the license to 5 years.

I recently renewed my license (about a month ago). I was only given a short visual test before they took my mug shot. It did renew for 6 years though.

I recently renewed my license (about a month ago). I was only given a short visual test before they took my mug shot. It did renew for 6 years though.

I renewed online. Same photo, same everything, less than $80 and I got a new license mailed to me.

I last renewed my licence in 2017 and it lasts for 10 years here. There are no tests, it's all online. Just upload a photo and pay, like renewing a passport.

I got my driver’s licence at age 17 and do not have to renew it at all (unless I lose it or something). So unless at age one hundred and twenty twelve I run someone over, I’ll be legally allowed to drive.

Still has a picture of 17yo me aswell….it’s a paper licence (no rfid or qr code or other digital nonsense)

VIGNALE