Bicycles!

20211001_123124.jpg

My newest bike. Tires are a bit large (26x2.5), but it'll be super comfy on long rides.

Sold the Fuji…and replaced it with a Schwinn? (It’s the girlfriend’s bike.)

k9On0vk.jpg

View attachment 3562659

My newest bike. Tires are a bit large (26x2.5), but it'll be super comfy on long rides.
That's a really nice colour. :)

I just replaced the chain on the gravel bike since it has lengthened (I'm checking regularly with an appropriate chain tool to keep the lengthening chain from destroying the chainrings and sprockets), additionally I replaced the big chainring in the front and the rollers in the derailleur after about 9000 km in 16 1/2 months. I have two cassettes on two different wheel sets which sit at around 4100 and 4700 km respectively, I had to replace one sprocket on one cassette since apparently I use that sprocket way more than all the other sprockets.

photo_2021-10-17_09-30-13.jpg

Went and hung out under a freeway overpass with some like minded weirdos today.

photo_2021-10-17_09-28-58.jpg

These were my offerings. I sold one of the bikes and bunch of parts. Didn't sell all that I would have liked, but I took less home. Heck, I only bought a set of tires from the guy to the left in the photo. That's pretty restrained for me, considering there were Kleins, Schwinn Homegrowns and Surlys out there to buy.

So... I am going to buy a new road bike for next season (favourite right now is a Rose Pro SL Disc 105, but I'm open for other suggestions), and I'll need a new bike computer for that, too. On my current bikes, I use a fairly old Sigma Sport BC 1609, but I consider upgrading to something more modern.

Any recommendations? GPS/navigation would be awesome, but only if it doesn't need some Windows/MacOS application to feed it.

I have a (gen1) Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt and am quite happy with it. Accepts pre made routes from Strava and Komoot, connects to Wi-Fi on its own to sync and has good battery life. Does require an app (android/iOS) to set up. As far as I can see the v2 is slightly improved with regards to routing and screen. I got mine in a bundle with HR, cadence and speed sensors.

There’s definitely an equivalent Garmin unit - similar in features and price. I just don’t like the Garmin universe.

Also I think @Eye-Q is very happy with his unit, that had a v2 release recently as well.

I have a Hammerhead Karoo (1st gen) which doesn't need an app at all, you can feed it via the Hammerhad website, it connects via WiFi and downloads everything you might have planned online. In ride you can just zoom the map, tap wherever you want to ride and it calculates a route, even when you're offline, you have to download maps for your region beforehand though. You can't get a Karoo 1 new, but on ebay you can get them for way less than 200 Euros. The successor Karoo 2 costs 400 Euros, IMHO it's not worth that price. Hammerhead releases software updates every two weeks (seriously, look at the change logs). The only issue is that the Karoo 1 doesn't have a speaker so you have to look at the head unit quite often to not miss a turn while Wahoo and Garmin units beep when a turn comes up. You can connect a bluetooth headset/speaker, then you have voice prompts via those. You can connect loads of sensors via Bluetooth or Ant+ as well, even a Garmin rear radar connects without a hitch and the head unit shows when someone (or even multiple someones) approach from behind. You can link Komoot, Strava, Ride with GPS, TrainingPeaks and Xert accounts as well.

The Rose Pro SL Disc looks good, no objections from me. :)

As I understand it, both the Wahoo and the Hammerhead are pure GPS devices, no traditional speedometer (via wheel speed)?

And no, not in red. I've seen it for real at the Rose shop in Bocholt - that red just looks shit. Sadly the bike doesn't come in black (in contrast to f.e. Trek or Cannondale alternatives), so silver would have to do.

There's exactly one issue I have with the bike computers: They are not available as factory extra. Rose offers the Wahoo Elemnt Roam, though. For €349. :cry:
Having one from factory would (perhaps) allow me to include it in the JobRad deal I'm aiming for (for the foreigners: it's a company bike scheme, similar to having a company car).

Last edited:
+1 for the Wahoo, mine has been serving me great. I believe it required a mobile app for the initial setup, but once it gets WiFi creds from it, two-way sync doesn’t require it. Also plays nicely with my phone (though I disabled all that call/SMS bullshit) and Whoop for HR data. Solidly reliable—crashed once on a major ride but lost no data once it woke up again.

Attachments

• 215F483C-B7F7-4C97-9DA1-CCEB8728F6C9.jpeg
    215F483C-B7F7-4C97-9DA1-CCEB8728F6C9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
As I understand it, both the Wahoo and the Hammerhead are pure GPS devices, no traditional speedometer (via wheel speed)?
If you connect a speed sensor (wheel) to the bolt, it will prioritize this over the gps calculated speed as far as I understand it.

Shame about the limited color choice…

If you connect a speed sensor (wheel) to the bolt, it will prioritize this over the gps calculated speed as far as I understand it.

You can connect an Ant+ or Bluetooth speed sensor to the Hammerhead as well. You can drag and drop the sensors (including built-in GPS) on the head unit to prioritize one over the other so as long as the speed sensor is connected it will take precedence over the built-in GPS.

Nice. I see my moneys floating away. :D

One more question: Does one of these computers support a multi-bike setup (with individual mileage stats, or even multiple speed sensors)? Because it would be a shame to spend €400 on such a device and not use it on all my bikes. A second mounting plate is easily bought...

I don’t think the Wahoo does, but Strava does support it if you edit the posted activities. That’s how I’ve differentiated for the few occasions I used the Wahoo on the Fuji.

That can even be automated based on which sensors are present in the recording (eg speed/cadence only on the road bike):

On the Karoo you can connect multiple sensors and you can set up multiple bikes as well. That said, you can't link one specific sensor to a specific bike so you have to tell the head unit after the ride which bike you used.
You can transfer the distances from another bike computer manually as you set up a bike by telling the head unit that you already rode X km with that so it doesn't count up from 0 km but from X km for that bike.

Now that I look at the odometer of the Karoo it strikes me that it already has 18348 km under it's belt, I did my first ride with it in December 2019. I won't crack 20tkm with the unit this year, but it will be close since I'm planning on cycling at least another 1259 km until December 31st to crack 10tkm of cycling in 2021.

Thanks, all. :) I haven't decided one way or the other with respect to the inevitable bike computer. But having a "proper" one with navigation included is really tempting. On the other hand, really expensive....

Speaking of expensive, I've been going over my financials and decided to get a bike from that manufacturer via the JobRad company bike leasing scheme - meaning deducting a monthly amount from my gross salary, thus reducing my taxable income, and after three years I'll have the option of buying it used (with myself being the GDPO :D).

Anyway. I have not even inquired for an offer (phone appointment is set up for end of next week), but already have mapped out a route home from the store. It's only 81 km, after all. :D And 3 hours by public transport to get there in the first place. :rofl:

Last edited:
I will definitely be riding my bike this weekend after seeing this thread.