The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

NYT have story about a fatal autopilot Model S crash, which ignored stop sign and red light, hit an SUV.

strongly suggest that Autopilot failed at a basic function — automatic emergency braking
“The technology exists to limit where Autopilot can operate, but Tesla allows drivers to use it on roads it shouldn’t operate on,”

Tesla owner who was watching a movie when his car, traveling in autopilot mode, struck a North Carolina police cruiser has walked away from the crash legally unscathed, records show.

Some dragstrips have flat said they can't put out an electric car fire, so until they can, electric cars can't race.

Seems fair. The Guy Martin show last week had an EV blanket for putting out fires, but that assumes it's safe for people to place the blanket over the car.

Seems fair. The Guy Martin show last week had an EV blanket for putting out fires, but that assumes it's safe for people to place the blanket over the car.

Those are neat, but sort of pricey. A quick search says $1200 for single use or $2400 for reusable.

Also showed (German?) car on dropped in water container:

Last edited:

Ah shit, here we go… cue the complaining of a bunch of idiots about:
  • But muh Tesla can’t charge anymore, there’s too many plebs!!
  • But the cord is too short, I’ll have to park across 5 bays and block the other chargers!!!
  • Some idiot parked across 5 bays and blocks all the chargers!
  • i parked like an ass BUT THE CORD IS STILL TOO SHORT
  • my 40 kW max egolf doesn’t get the advertised 250 kW, all of Tesla is fake!!!
  • Why can’t I just plug in and charge like Tesla, why do I need an app???
  • Why is there a subscription to make charging cheaper that Tesla customers don’t have to pay for?
  • Why can’ti charge my taycan at this supercharger in Germany that was never mentioned as part of the trial run? It’s an outrage! DISCRIMINATION!
The announcement is mere hours old and I’m already sick of all the hot takes about it on Twitter…

Part of it is that they are not especially well built (see that wood chucks incident of some pages ago). And part of it is that you get guaranteed clicks if you can make 500 words on Elon sneezing :p

Last edited:

Ah shit, here we go… cue the complaining of a bunch of idiots about:
  • But muh Tesla can’t charge anymore, there’s too many plebs!!
  • But the cord is too short, I’ll have to park across 5 bays and block the other chargers!!!
  • Some idiot parked across 5 bays and blocks all the chargers!
  • i parked like an ass BUT THE CORD IS STILL TOO SHORT
  • my 40 kW max egolf doesn’t get the advertised 250 kW, all of Tesla is fake!!!
  • Why can’t I just plug in and charge like Tesla, why do I need an app???
  • Why is there a subscription to make charging cheaper that Tesla customers don’t have to pay for?
  • Why can’ti charge my taycan at this supercharger in Germany that was never mentioned as part of the trial run? It’s an outrage! DISCRIMINATION!
The announcement is mere hours old and I’m already sick of all the hot takes about it on Twitter…

A surprising small amount of twitter shit on my feed. I have a bigger problem with the ‘how dare you come here you swine, you don’t own a Tesla’ than ‘my car doesn’t charge as quick as Tesla says and it’s all Elon’s fault’

Which reverts me back to the title of the thread : it’s not the cars I dislike, it’s (some of) the driver douchebaggery that annoys me

I don't read Twatter but I'm not surprised. I was torn on the idea while owning a Tesla, now I don't really care. My only opinion is that it's a shame to block up a fast charger with a car that's incapable of charging fast but it would be dumb to build extra, limited chargers to avoid this.

I did once think that in general Tesla owners are an intelligent bunch that wouldn't be douchbags, we're long past that point now though as shown by the asshat I saw overtaking in a city to gain essentially no advantage, driving a Model 3.

My only opinion is that it's a shame to block up a fast charger with a car that's incapable of charging fast.
Isn't that a non-issue with shared-power chargers? Ie ones where you can't full-power-charge on all outlets at the same time.

Which reverts me back to the title of the thread : it’s not the cars I dislike, it’s (some of) the driver douchebaggery that annoys me
Amen to that. It's a bloody cult... :|
Also: yeah, to be honest same experience here - most of the complaining from tesla side and a few people very happily posting about charging at the SuC.

Isn't that a non-issue with shared-power chargers? Ie ones where you can't full-power-charge on all outlets at the same time.
Unless the station is being overrun by those, you should be right. supercharger sites especially should be ok, as they are usually rather large (i.e. have a lot of stalls compared to the competition). Then again, V3 superchargers are fairly well powered and while they still share power to a degree, this is almost never noticeable anymore (as the cars only pull max power for such a short amount of time / small range of SOC).

Last edited:
They're getting better so multiple Teslas can charge together at high speed, but on an older supercharger pair if a Tesla was paired up with a car with a lower charge limit it may benefit the Tesla driver. Indeed, a third person waiting may not be waiting any longer due to this.

Oh yes, what I also just thought of: the superchargers are very granular in their setup - so quite a lot of smaller units rather than just a few large ones, so the split between the stalls is very good. as an example: a small hypercharger (i think?) only has two power units of 75 kW each, so if there's one car taking 20 kW, the other car will only get 75 kW max (not the "remaining 130").

They've used LFP cells in SR Model 3 and Y made in China for a while already, and now are switching the US production as well. Elon said this would happen a while back - they want to use the more expensive and energy-dense nickel chemistry in long-range and performance cars, and LFP in all standard range ones. I think stationary storage (PowerWalls) is also all LFP-based.

LFP is imho a good choice for SR cars. The disadvantages are weight and higher susceptibility to cold - the batteries are more affected by the cold, and take more energy to heat due to higher thermal mass. The advantages are a few though - primarily they "like" being charged to 100% as often as possible, as opposed to the typical 90% "everyday" limit on nickel packs. So in SR cars with smaller battery capacities, LFP allows to use more of that capacity. The result is that in practice, a current SR+ Model 3 with a 55 kWh (iirc) LFP pack has almost the same real-world range as my 2019 Performance with a 75 kWh nickel pack. Also, the LFP chemistry is more "stable" and supposedly much less likely to do anything energetic when damaged or exposed to elements.

To put this in perspective: if I were to choose, I’d currently go for a LFP model 3 any time.

Edit: was gonna say how cnbc is pretty late with this, but the article is from October 20th.