Someone Else's Problem: Acrofatic barge deluxe: 2007 Audi S6 Avant, or: The howlwagon

^ Date for the installation is in two weeks. Damn all these people wanting to swap to winter tires, taking all the garage manpower, while the truly important stuff like my exhaust swap has to wait. ;) :ROFLMAO:

And now something completely different: A Tesla Plaid motor:
plaid.jpg

If I ever going to buy a Plaid, I hope I get one of those where I personally checked the 1000hp main output shaft:
20211110-083742.jpg

The reason that these parts are coming to my firm is the fact that we have a magnetic particle inspection system that allows visual crack detection. The part gets magnetised (and later demagnetised again) by a electric current and then sprayed on with a magnetic particle carrier solution (oil in our case), so even the tiniest crack or damage will show itself under UV light.
20211110-083806.jpg

20211110-102200.jpg

Last edited:
Are you gearing up for something?

The reason that these parts are coming to my firm is the fact that we have a magnetic particle inspection system that allows visual crack detection. The part gets magnetised (and later demagnetised again) by a electric current and then sprayed on with a magnetic particle carrier solution (oil in our case), so even the tiniest crack or damage will show itself under UV light.

Don't know about your locale, but in North America the MPI process is commonly called "Magnaflux". Most engine machine shops will have a MPI station for checking blocks, heads, etc.

^ Yep, MPI = Magnaflux

Anyway, off with the aftermarket summer wheels...
20211129-101918.jpg

Back to the original S6 winter circles. And even in a scratched up state they suit the understated character of the car much better than those tacky aftermarkets.
20211129-104759.jpg

Also, the car goes into the shop today to finally get the Milltek exhaust system bolted in. - This makes it the last day with any smiling and waving "hi there" neighbours. They probably had a garden party the day I sold the V8 barkwagon. - Well, tomorrow you can say "hello" to the V10 howlwagon. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
First foot-down minutes today:
? Fecking hell! Goal achived! ?

Sadly the camera can't really grasp all the low frequencies and sensations, but my audible reaction at 1:14 should give you some idea about what's going on:

(The lift-off screeching at 0:25 is just the grid rattle, that's expected, and it will go silent as soon as it's fully expanded by full heat).

I had the fear that this exhaust system would be too loud and booming in the cabin (it is my daily driver after all), but that's not the case. It has its presence, but the Audis double glasing still does it's job. Outside or with the windows down however... especially the cold start is now a definitive neighbour alarm clock. :LOL:

Last edited:
Do I bore you already with my barkwagon posts?

Whatever, I'm not bored. I'm happy. (y) But I'm also kicking myself a bit, why the hell didn't I buy these pipes sooner, preferably the day I bought the car, which happend already 8 months ago: I wasted the whole 2021 summer driving around with the puny S6 stock exhaust, dammit! Because let's face it, these Milltek pipes, they really are a necessity for this car. Well, see and hear for yourself: (Camera: DJI Action 2, 4K)

Sample 1
While all cars make some noise when you drive them hard, my main goal with this exhaust swap was to be able to cruise normally during daily driving and still get some good soundtrack. Well, goal achieved, I say: Just listen to this slow uphill driving at 1:20, after I open the windows. Not much gas, but it sounds like a massive V8 block. ?

Sample 2
Giving it some beans through a following set of tunnels. The best thing isn't the full throttle part, the best thing is the deep lift-off growl when the revs go down. Love that. Sadly there were some roadworks, but still, you get my point:

The ultimate dream, having a budget V10 car that screams like the Porsche Carrera GT, is simply not possible. But I came a few steps closer. (y)

Sorry Tesla, the EV has to wait, I'm still addicted to naturally aspirated ICE sounds. ?

Pics:
20211202-112026.jpg

20211202-112045.jpg

Last edited:
Random pics+video update:

Yeah, I got rid of the tacky oversized aftermarket wheels, these stock wheels do fit the reserved character of the car so much better:
2021-12-03-Fr-130.jpg

Even when things get dirty: :p
2021-12-03-Fr-306.jpg

Meanwhile winter wonderland has truly arrived:
20211211-073614.jpg

Which can only mean one thing: Up the hill we go, sometimes with all 4 wheels spinning! (At 1:09 you can hear me chuckle): :D

Stock wheels on and a better exhaust in. The journey is now complete, the howlwagon is truly a daily joy. (y)
DSCF7305.jpg

DSCF7312.jpg

Last edited:
"Not gonna lie... that looks really cold," he says, from Florida.

Holidays are here, skiing is on the plan... but the weather is crap, and I prefer to have blue skies above me when I'm on the piste. So until the weather changes, lets do some Ersatz-program from my hobby list:

As I come from a architectural background (I did 4 years apprenticeship as a architectural draftsman) and because there are so many of of them around where I live, I do love me some visits to castles and chateaus. And I also love to drive my car. Result:

Btw, this was all done in half a day today:

St. Anna Castle
DSCF7425.jpg

Castle Sulzberg
DSCF7326.jpg

Castle Pfauenmoos
DSCF7438.jpg

Castle Roggwil
DSCF7465.jpg

All this may be very boring to you, but not to me, as I'm nerdy enough. :LOL:

Last edited:

Quotation: "yeah, there are those Audi V10's, but I think they are pretty boring compared to this". - I'm seriously offended. :LOL:

Screenshot-804178.png

No, actualIy I'm not. I understand his point. I do agree that the S6 is probably less "fun" than that M6. Because while these cars have all a V10, they have totally different characteristics: The M6 is a high reving GT/sports car, the S6 is a low down torque cruiser. The M6 has more HP, but less torque.

But where I live it would be impossible to run a M6/M5 as a daily because of the lack of AWD. As soon as the roads are soaking wet, or full of snow, there isn't any "daily" anymore with a M6. Not when you have to be somewhere at a certain time despite what weather it is.

Also, turns out that whole video is sponsored, so the ultimate question "should you buy a V10 as a daily driver" isn't actually answered...

After 9 months of ownership and 24'000km (15'000mi) done, the first bigger issue: A crack somewhere between the steering pump and the reservoir. Fluid on the floor, zero steering assistance. Hello.

Since the car was heading to the garage anyway because of this, I decided to get all 4 brakes done, front ones were close to the minimum, and rear ones would have started to chirp soon too. - And an oil change didn't hurt either. Almost 10 Liter of the finest.

After that all is well again. Sure, wallet got a 4-digit slap, but hey, soon forgotten when every drive is an event. V10 coupled with a Milltek is the recipe. Love it. Can't wait for the windows-down season! 🤩 🤗

Apart from the purchase day, the S6 has never been so clean as after the garage visit: :ROFLMAO:
20220129-112528.jpg

20220129-112541.jpg

Last edited:
First foot-down minutes today:
? Fecking hell! Goal achived! ?

Sadly the camera can't really grasp all the low frequencies and sensations, but my audible reaction at 1:14 should give you some idea about what's going on:

(The lift-off screeching at 0:25 is just the grid rattle, that's expected, and it will go silent as soon as it's fully expanded by full heat).

I had the fear that this exhaust system would be too loud and booming in the cabin (it is my daily driver after all), but that's not the case. It has its presence, but the Audis double glasing still does it's job. Outside or with the windows down however... especially the cold start is now a definitive neighbour alarm clock. :LOL:
My gosh, these ROADS.

(.........how hard is it to move to Switzerland?)

Reactions: lip
My gosh, these ROADS.

(.........how hard is it to move to Switzerland?)
1. Roads like this one are just 10min away from my home. = I can drive like this every day, it's a very stress-cleansing hobby. (y)

2. You can live everywhere in Switzerland for three months without any attest, after that you need a work permit visa (= you need a job), further on Americans can apply for permanent residence after living in Switzerland for five successive years.

The castle worbs about.

Short hop over the Swiss Alps today, letting the howlwagon proper off the leash. - Richly deserving after all the daily commute. - And with that I mean the car and myself. :LOL:

20220702-091240.jpg

Look out for the guy with a death wish at 04:04

View: https://youtu.be/6Nfpt8tRnvY
Guy waving at 2:03 (y)

View: https://youtu.be/o2jG48-sjwM
The good thing about driving a (somewhat) louder car is the fact that people can actually hear you coming up from behind, and so they kindly let you pass. Seen here at 03:00 and 4:58

View: https://youtu.be/LazH18_2pbk

The top of the San Bernardino Pass with its lake is so gorgeous, I went over it twice. (y)

View: https://youtu.be/tbp0B3bWzsc
Good times, good times.

Last edited: