Energy production, storage, and future technologies

Considering how little effort plugging in and charging in general are and how much engineering is being done to make wireless charging even viable… I don’t get it. How lazy can people be?

Oh, I've seen this one. 3-5 years and then it'll be 3-5 years away, yes? :p

Last edited:
Prototype 50kw wireless charging installed in Oslo:

I wonder how payment would work when there's no communication between the pad and the car.

I wonder how payment would work when there's no communication between the pad and the car.
Tbh there has to be some communication anyway, just to make the process even remotely safe. For people, incompatible cars, or for the sake of the battery at high soc/cold etc. payment should be a very minor hassle compared to that.

Tbh there has to be some communication anyway, just to make the process even remotely safe. For people, incompatible cars, or for the sake of the battery at high soc/cold etc. payment should be a very minor hassle compared to that.
In the video they had some sort app running on the phone

If they're going for buses as the main application then it's a neat idea - jolt the bus with 300kW at every stop, and they stop at a precise spot already to line up the door with the striped guidance tiles on the floor ... but, is the pad sturdy enough mechanically? I see significant asphalt deformation at bus stops because of the alignment already.

If they're going for buses as the main application then it's a neat idea - jolt the bus with 300kW at every stop, and they stop at a precise spot already to line up the door with the striped guidance tiles on the floor ... but, is the pad sturdy enough mechanically? I see significant asphalt deformation at bus stops because of the alignment already.
The bus stop area can be made in concrete…? :dunno:

Considering how little effort plugging in and charging in general are and how much engineering is being done to make wireless charging even viable… I don’t get it. How lazy can people be?

CCS cables are hella thick and heavy, so is a bit clunky. The whole point of this is wireless fast charging…. While relatively slow compared to super modern cars, 55kw wireless is pretty awesome

If it does it’ll have to be app based. Just driving on the thing and it working automagically without me having to get out is the key. People are lazy and this caters to this well.

If I need to get out and faff with cards and non functional machinery I may aswell plug in. Should be: open app, drive on the pad, charging starts until I’m bored, I drive off, charging stops and sends me the invoice

No need for a phone / app even, just use the same damn feature that's been in the works for years (and already there for a very limited number of cars and chargers): plug&charge. Car authenticates itself towards the charger (and vice versa) and everything else just happens in the background. the current iso 15118 specifies this same stuff also for wireless charging afaik (wifi based instead of PLC through the cable, i think. the solutions are already there, they just have to be used :)

More on the wireless charging. Communication via magnetic field:

Maybe too big and heavy in current form?

just stumbled across this... and while it's not directly related to the topic, I think it does nicely represent the challenge faced by the international effort. because there's an insane imbalance in energy use across the globe and large parts are quickly developing (towards higher energy use, that is):
FGKezogXMAEhpme