Other Random Car Sightings [Photo Required]

That might be a Biscayne. Maybe @SquareLeft can tell. It's been sometime since he was on though.

Seen today: Chevrolet Somethingsomething (read: no clue about US roadships)
DSCF7029.jpg

The correct term is landyacht unless I’m very much mistaken

BMW E24, by the numberplate I presume it's a 635 CSi

I like when people do this. Back in the day there used to be a debadged W140 in my area. The license plate was SEL-600, though...

I like when people do this.
Apart from initials and birthday (or couple's anniversary), doing something with the model designation - or in case of vintage cars, using the model year - is probably the most common personal plate in Germany. Just look around the German FG bunch... just off the top of my hat, @Dr_Grip, @D-Fence, @shad_68, @loose_unit (with a twist), @thomas, @narf (again, an in-joke) and myself all did it.

Apart from initials and birthday (or couple's anniversary), doing something with the model designation - or in case of vintage cars, using the model year - is probably the most common personal plate in Germany. Just look around the German FG bunch... just off the top of my hat, @Dr_Grip, @D-Fence, @shad_68, @loose_unit (with a twist), @thomas, @narf (again, an in-joke) and myself all did it.

Out of interest, does it cost more than a ‘normal’ plate? It’s super expensive in .be so not many people do it. Also the plate is linked to the person so no point in buying one which says ‘635i’ if your next car is an Audi .

Cost is 2k€ fwiw, and you can have anything you want aslong as it fits the plate(9 digits). Not obligated to have numbers or letters either

does it cost more than a ‘normal’ plate?
About €10 extra upon registering the car. It's cheap enough that the majority of car owners goes for it, while being practically no extra work for the registration office. Easy revenue stream. :)

Benefit of a personal plate you already have: when you replace your car with another you can take the old plates with you so no need for new ones. This way it's actually cheaper in the long run if you replace your car (semi-)regularly or if you don't care what numberplate the car has, but you have old numberplates and the numbers are still available.

The same GR Supra as seen earlier this fall, (see my post on the previous page) but from behind:
5D458DF3-1D0E-4DDB-8ADC-6003E1DCE5AC.jpeg

And next to it, I spotted an Austin Maxi, only a very few of those have survived, and it didn’t look like a total rust bucket either.
52B8F2AF-16A8-44C4-8489-6405EDA305B2.jpeg

In what appears to be the same colour as the Flying Shite Zastava, the Maxi somehow looks worse than the hatchback Fiat 128 shape. It's like if you took a lump of cheese shaped like the Fiat 128 and microwaved it, you would end up with the Maxi. If you kept microwaving it you'd get an Allegro or something equally horrifying. I should compare more cars using cheese examples.

I'm not sold on the shape of the Supra from most angles. It looks like it's trying to be all shapes at once, and the GR86 is a better Supra IMO.

^ Yes, it’s almost the same colour as a prosthetic limb. It’s a truly awful car, but fascinating to see one still alive. The note in the side window says it’s for sale for 3000 NOK (300€) which is the same as the scrap value, so I guess the owner just doesn’t have the heart to scrap it.

The day before I was visiting an old car boneyard in Sweden where I found this, which is somewhat related:

View attachment 9443A9EA-BEBC-4028-B89F-9C01BA35D593.jpeg

Ah, a showroom fresh Allegro in its natural habitat. :LOL: