Food! [The thread that started this section]

Is the store-bought/bottled "Joppie Saus" considered low-class? Like...is it seen like maybe how ranch dressing or fake cheese sauce might be seen in the US?

I didn't know what Joppie Saus was until I googled it, and unlike ranch dressing, it sounds pretty good. No idea and no carez if it's "low class" or not, though.

I didn't know what Joppie Saus was until I googled it, and unlike ranch dressing, it sounds pretty good. No idea and no carez if it's "low class" or not, though.

I had it in Amsterdam with fries, and it was my favorite of the sauces we tried. It doesn't actually matter to me, I was mostly just curious. Not all that many people were also getting it with their fries, so I wasn't sure if that was just because it was unpopular, or somehow looked down upon.

It's basically a sweet, oniony, curry mayo and was debating on looking for a bottle of it online (simply because I'd assume it'd have a longer life in the fridge than home made).

I had it in Amsterdam with fries, and it was my favorite of the sauces we tried. It doesn't actually matter to me, I was mostly just curious. Not all that many people were also getting it with their fries, so I wasn't sure if that was just because it was unpopular, or somehow looked down upon.

It's basically a sweet, oniony, curry mayo and was debating on looking for a bottle of it online (simply because I'd assume it'd have a longer life in the fridge than home made).
Yep. I need dis.

Homemade ranch can be pretty good

no ranch is good
none

For what it's worth, that page includes the following:

"Homemade Joppie Sauce – My conclusion
My homemade Joppie sauce did not quite match the original recipe from Holland."
If you find a better one, post it:

Its seems like a variation of a remoulade:

Other recipes:

If you find a better one, post it:

Its seems like a variation of a remoulade:

Other recipes:

I definitely will...I was the one initially asking about the sauce. :) I hadn't come across any recipes where all of the comments were all like, "Yeah! This is it!". That one was unique, though, because the recipe creator themself said it wasn't quite right. :)

I do bet it would be considered a type of remoulade. I hadn't thought of that as the couple I've had were all very pickle heavy, and no curry, but it sounds like there's lots of variations.

That 2nd link, she includes an egg yolk, which I wouldn't have thought of, but it makes sense.

I just wish single bottles on Amazon weren't $18, and searching on eBay only brings up OnePlus cell phone cases. :lmao:
1638321260295.png

'Are you dreaming of a chocolate orange mayo Christmas?'
No, no I am most certainly not :| Is that one of those ideas that have to be successful in the market purely out of novelty value?

re: joppie
looking at all those dutch recipes, it's a super simple sauce - you just gotta get the ratios sort of right. it's outrageous to demand 18 bucks for a bottle!

Nasty that you haven't tried some. It's delicious. The Americans have this weird thing where they slather is on everything though, and that's kinda weird.

Last edited:
From all the prejudices about it that I’ve absorbed from US media and the interwebz, I think I might be with coco on this one.

edit: looking at Wikipedia and what it’s made of, how in the world is that considered a dressing???

I dunno, I mostly use it as a dip