Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

When you break the costs down like that, I'm sure many people would save the $2 and just go with the poverty cluster. Most people including me are blissfully unaware that each and every "standard item" in our cars add to the monthly payment. And at least I like it that way. :p
We actually test drove (sort of) the $97 without the tach, but when we went back to pick one out and sign the papers with my parents, they didn't have any pleb-spec left, and the $99 one was the cheapest one they had.

And I say "sort of" because my mom test drove it for me since I had never driven a manual in the winter, and this was February in Wisconsin. On our way home from the dealership, we went back to the grocery store we both worked at so she could finish her shift, and another co-worker re-taught me how to drive stick in the parking lot, during a snowstorm.

3 weeks before the end of the lease 2 years later, on the way home from test-driving a vehicle I was considering buying after the Range's lease was up...

1638140579567.png
1638140609272.png

2023_toyota_bz4x_7.jpg

I mean... I guess. I think toyota is reputable brand and it will be solidly built. Unless BBB passes probably going to be the next ride.

It's winter here now and it's a cold day today. I was following an XC60 that clearly was in EV mode because you couldn't see any exhaust clouds. Another way you could tell it was in EV mode is when the light turned green and it limped away spinning one of its rear wheels. These are all RWD unless the ICE is on.

It would annoy me if I had paid for a nice AWD Volvo and this was what I got.

That does seem stupid to have an AWD vehicle that's not always AWD.

The rental Jepp has one of those capless gas fillers. Both times I've filled it up, it doesn't click the pump up and overflows on my shoes. Fun stuff.
There would be a difference in battery use and range. One good thing is that EV's are very heavy which gives better contact. Debatable but my experience even heavy fwd cars do better in snow than light rwd.

My experience with snow driving is the heavier the vehicle is the better. Until you’re stuck and need to push it out, at least. Light and RWD is probably the worst combination.

I would put the Honda Clarity up against alot of small suvs with getting around in snow. This is part of reason that if I get that Toyota with the terrible name ill get it in FWD. If I get it in AWD I could drive it up to the mountains if I put on the required snow chains. With the FWD I dont have to come up with an excuse for not wanting to put on snow chains and it's just as competent for around town.

My experience with snow driving is the heavier the vehicle is the better. Until you’re stuck and need to push it out, at least. Light and RWD is probably the worst combination.
Can confirm, literally had to be towed off a moderately snowy freeway in the BRZ because I didn't have the snow tires on and I *COULD NOT MOVE IN ANY DIRECTION*

had to be towed off a moderately snowy freeway in the BRZ because I didn't have the snow tires
Well there's your problem! Meanwhile an MR2 on snows was practically unstoppable in snow, ground clearance aside.

Well there's your problem! Meanwhile an MR2 on snows was practically unstoppable in snow, ground clearance aside.
Unstoppable because it can’t?

A friend advised that if it starts snowing I should buy a shovel and maybe throw a few bags of sand in the boot

Light and RWD is probably the worst combination.

Add that it's front heavy, i.e. a small pickup with no weight in the bed, and I think that's the worst combo. My old one wheel drive Nissan D21 would work fine in packed snow, but if it needed to blaze a trail in fresh stuff, you were dead in the (frozen) water.

Yeah, the BRZ on snows would go through snow *deeper* than its ground clearance (at least until it plowed up in front). It was pretty damned rad.

A friend advised that if it starts snowing I should buy a shovel and maybe throw a few bags of sand in the boot.

A good shovel can be a life saver. I like a small square shovel. The sand should be put in a container that will contain it when the bag inevitably splits open.

12V171_AW01.jpg

Speaking of the BRZ, I had a brief moment of madness the other day when I considered trying to buy the thing back.

... And then I remembered I now have two dogs that have to come along on every roadtrip.