Mercedes-Benz gains approval for Level 3 autonomous tech on German autobahns

"limited to German autobahns"...."The system, called Drive Pilot, is capable of taking over driving at speeds of up to 37mph".
I don't think you are allowed to drive that fast on the autobahns.

Yeah... so in effect utterly useless unless sitting in super heavy traffic / jam :|
BUT hey at least you're allowed to read the paper or sth while at it. so they do have enough confidence in the system to accept the liability... unless ofc they weasle out of it every time something happens by saying the driver wasn't quick enough to take the wheel.

Last edited:
This is crazy and shaking up some people right now.

Forget what the system can do.

Mercedes is so confident in what they have that they take over the responsibility in case of a crash. That is the big one.

The 60km/h thing is because of legislature right now, they are not allowed to make it work faster, although apparantly it could work up to 130km/h.

Remember when Audi launched the A8 a couple of years back and promised exactly what Merc has now but never got approval? Merc just did.
Tesla is promising whatever and letting their customers kill themselves and others with beta software, no approval despite everyone raging on about how industry leading they are.

Just a quick legislature update:

- it's only allowed on highways and up to 60km/h
- Lane changes are forbidden in the EU right now, I think now they are allowed back with manual intervention (indicator stalk). VW had an emergency system that stopped a car on cruise on the shoulder if the driver passed out, this got banned due to automated lane changes.

Again.

The big one is not the software but Mercedes taking over full responsibility for a crash. That takes balls and confidence in your own product.
How about your move, Spacelon?

The big one is not the software but Mercedes taking over full responsibility for a crash. That takes balls and confidence in your own product.
How about your move, Spacelon?

This one is massive and something that probably will only stay within .de or continental Europe as far as taking full responsibility. While I'm still holding off on going "yeah, they got this figured out" for some real world use, but Mercedes really are sure this will work, and without using the general public as test dummies.