craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

ranger_dood

I was being a little careless and overclocking my storage machine... it locked up while booting windows and hosed the partition on the HD. ALL of my TopGears are GONE

guess it's time to start downloading again...

and I was JUST going to start burning archival DVDs... day late and a dollar short, as they say.

With processors now approaching 4 GHz, what's the point of overclocking? Clock speed was already far greater than any existing application (besides stupid games) could effectively take advantage of years ago.

Hope you feel better telling us about it. :roll:

spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!

This isn't a very interesting post. So here's a picture of Clarkson being savagely attacked by a raging wildebeest.
clarkson_pie024.jpg

We've all seen it before, sure, but it's still more interesting.

:twisted:

that sure is a lot of a's...

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
"Your monthly bandwidth allowance - 2000MB

:lmao:

Bwahahahahaha!!!

Well, the letter does seem to be 4 and a half years old...

But yeah, it's still :lmao:

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
"Your monthly bandwidth allowance - 2000MB

:lmao:

Bwahahahahaha!!!
:lol: Seriously. On my 1.5mbit, I'd do that in about 8 hours of normal usage.

But back in 2001, 0.75GB/day was pretty hardcore, I guess...

Buba

Buba said:
But back in 2001, 0.75GB/day was pretty hardcore, I guess...

Buba

True I only had a 128kbit/s flat that time, I could get 50mb per hour, I got maybe 500mb a day, but with a faster connection that would be easily possible.

jensked said:
The best is, how the hell can you download 200 gig and don't notice it. I guess when you've got two kids downloading everything they can find and you've got no parental watch software :)

That's not a letter from an ISP, it's from a hosting provider. Apparently someone was having a domain hosted by Global Internet Solutions ("nosepilot.net") with a 2 GB/month bandwidth limit, which is not very hard at all to exceed. It still sucks for him that it managed to get that high, though. I guess that's what you get for hosting videos on your site... :)

peterjmag said:
jensked said:
The best is, how the hell can you download 200 gig and don't notice it. I guess when you've got two kids downloading everything they can find and you've got no parental watch software :)

That's not a letter from an ISP, it's from a hosting provider.

Yeah, I think it's from a website hosting company, not an ISP :) Today, most companies offer hundreds of GBs of transfer, so things have changed since '01 for sure. Poor guy if he seriously had to pay that!

jeffy777 said:
peterjmag said:
jensked said:

That's not a letter from an ISP, it's from a hosting provider.

Yeah, I think it's from a website hosting company, not an ISP :) Today, most companies offer hundreds of GBs of transfer, so things have changed since '01 for sure. Poor guy if he seriously had to pay that!

It was a letter from a hosting company, I saw it when it was making the 2nd or 3rd rounds around the internet :-D

Actually the problem increases with scale. Nowadays hosting companies offer hundreds and thousands of GB of transfer, but in the hosting forums i used to frequent during my time as a web server host, there would always be stories of people with $7000 server bills, as a result of going WAAAY over their transfer limits.

I wouldn't see any reason he wouldn't have to pay for it, unless it was hacked. I know as a server host, I wouldn't want to catch the cost of a customer over-using their transfer. The host has to pay for transfer as well, sooo they can't just forgive the transfer and everyone be happy about it. Someone had to pay that transfer (which back then was likely $2.50 - $5.00 a GB over), and I would bet its not the company or their provider (unless it can be tracked back to an unauthorized use, not directly caused by the user)