News: Porsche Taycan (aka: former Mission E)

Everyone, especially in the Taycan owner forums are making a big deal about this, but those Porsche fans who have historically been keeping track of Porsche sales numbers for the past couple decades have already known the 4 door models are consistently produced and sold in greater numbers than their 2 door sports coupes year after year, given the 4 door models are usually more attainable on the cheaper end, more usable and practical on a daily basis for many Porsche customers and often a companion vehicle to their dedicated 2 door sports car.

Also the Taycan has been steadily eating away sales from the increasingly redundant Panamera in their lineup, coupled with the massive EV tax incentives associated with the purchase of the Taycan, especially in the EU, but also modest tax credits for US customers as well.

What is a more cool achievement IMHO is that the Taycan, in all model trims is outselling the Tesla Model S worldwide, in all its respective trims as well, since that was the original benchmark luxury 4 door EV sedan.

What is a more cool achievement IMHO is that the Taycan, in all model trims is outselling the Tesla Model S worldwide, in all its respective trims as well, since that was the original benchmark luxury 4 door EV sedan.

That's really cool! Got a source?

That's really cool! Got a source?
Just look at the puny sales numbers that Tesla officially posts for Model S & X (less than 25k in 2021) - should be obvious that the Taycan beats the Model S :D

ok to put something official behind my "obvious": somewhere in here is more than 40k Taycans in 2021.

I wonder how the E-tron GT is doing in comparison, sharing the same platform as it does. As much as I would still like to see Tesla lead the way with tech it's nice to see luxury EVs from mainstream manufacturers selling well.

Just look at the puny sales numbers that Tesla officially posts for Model S & X (less than 25k in 2021) - should be obvious that the Taycan beats the Model S :D

ok to put something official behind my "obvious": somewhere in here is more than 40k Taycans in 2021.
To be fair, one must add that Model S and X production was completely stopped in late 2020 before the Plaid and new Long Range were finally introduced. New Model S started volume production in the first half of 2021, Model X in late 2021, and they've only been delivered in North America - other markets are only beginning this year. So their sales in 2021 were quite limited.

Still, the fact that the Taycan sells so well is awesome. One of the few genuinely good EVs out there in my opinion, and not at all a cheap one - it selling well means people like what they are getting, and it being an EV is not seen as a downside by the usual Porsche buyer anymore. Which sets the stage for more to come from other manufacturers in the future - everybody wins.

Let the rich folks get their toys so the tech can be brought down to the commoners.

Let the rich folks get their toys so the tech can be brought down to the commoners.

Shut up peasant! :p

I agree. I still wish that GM would have kept going after the EV-1 and moved the tech to trucks and vans.

I agree. I still wish that GM would have kept going after the EV-1 and moved the tech to trucks and vans.

You can thank Bob Lutz and his fossil fuel industry chums for the death of the EV-1.

But really, to oversimplify things it was down to two factors:
  1. The link between the fossil fuel and automotive industry, they used to be very closely knit. The fossil fuel lobby was (and stil is) the biggest political lobby, so they have lots of leverage over our decision makers, making sure they don't provide too good incentives to change.
  2. The automotive industry used to have very little incentive to innovate. The heavy amounts of R&D that would have had to be sunk down in EV tech to make the volumes required to make EVs profitable would have been immense back in the 90s. This costs money, which the automotive industry rather spend much less of, and just make iterative changes to what they currently make every 3/4 years. Innovating entails risks, which they rather not take. This also makes the shareholders happy as doing this fills their pockets with dividends. Tesla disrupted this.
When it comes to the Taycan, it seems to be a very big hit here, all but making the Panamera redundant. The Taycan basically only sells to people who have garages where they can charge their car on a daily basis, covering 99 % of the driving they do. Also, when they go on a long trip they are well served by Electrify America (in North America) and Ionity (plus a bunch of other HPC suppliers) in Europe, so I'm surprised to see that they are actually still developing the Panamera.

The Taycan Cross Turismo is very popular here, despite it's high costs, the slightly raised ride hight seems to be a hit.

Last edited:
And now the Taycan is available as Sport Turismo for the rest of the lineup, not just the GTS. It’s in the configurator over here at least.

And now the Taycan is available as Sport Turismo for the rest of the lineup, not just the GTS. It’s in the configurator over here at least.

Unfortunately not for US customers, they only get the GTS trim level and from what I hearing from fellow Taycan customers, GTS Sport Turismo factory build allocations for US customers are incredibly few available at this current time. 👎🏽

Given the reaction to the Cross Turismo, this was kind of the logical conclusion. I like. Sadly, I won't ever be able to afford one... still, good Par---- PORSCHE, damnit. :p ;)
{ evil cackling }
Well, you could always just get a GTS then, sweet spot of the range and all... :LOL:
but I want VIOLENCE
I, for one, would like a heavily depreciated Turbo S...

World’s most expensive fridge?

Hundreds of Porsche Taycan owners have been left in the cold by the failure of their cars’ heater matrix.

World’s most expensive fridge?

I'm used to the heat going out randomly. I live in Texas. Please give me your cold parsh.

Good to see Henry land on his feet.

I'm bumping the thread in stead of making a new, The Taycan has been updated. It has received a facelift and some other changes, the biggest of which is much better range and faster charging. And sadly, all of this at a higher price.
[...]The Taycan Turbo S makes 938 horsepower when using launch control – up from 750 hp in the previous model. And you thought Porsche would let Tesla and Lucid run away with the ultra-mega-powerful EV sedan market. The result of this huge power increase is a claimed 0-60 mph time of 2.3 seconds. It also makes the Taycan Turbo S the most powerful Porsche road car yet, eclipsing the 887 hp of the 918 Spyder. The power comes from new motors that occupy the same dimensions as the previous model’s, but get revised internals for more power. Power from the rear motor rises by up to 107 hp depending on model, while the motor itself is around 20 pounds lighter than before. All Taycan models get new motors, and while Porsche hasn’t yet published full specs for the whole lineup, it did say the base, rear-drive model gets bumped to 483 hp.

But for as much effort as Porsche put into bumping horsepower, it seems even more was put into upping efficiency and range. The first Taycan was criticized for relatively low range figures, and while real-world numbers were often better than EPA figures, you can tell the criticism stung Porsche. EPA figures for the new Taycan aren’t out yet, but our sister site InsideEVs managed 300 miles in a range test of a Taycan 4S in less-than-ideal weather conditions, suggesting a big bump in real-world range. A new battery pack with revised cell chemistry is the big thing here, with gross capacity for the larger Performance Battery Plus rising from 93.4 kWh to 105 kWh. Net, or usable capacity is 98.6 kWh. Base models get a 89-kWh gross, 83.6-kWh net battery pack. Both packs are lighter than their predecessors, with the base battery offering about as much capacity as the previous upgrade unit.

Porsche also upped the Taycan’s energy-regeneration capability. Where old all-wheel drive models could regenerate up to 290 kW, the new one can do up to 400 kW. The threshold for the handover between regenerative and friction braking is also higher, up to 0.497 g from 0.3 g in the old car. New wheels and range-optimized summer tires also help bump the distance the Taycan can travel on a charge. Other revisions to aerodynamics, thermal management – including a new heat pump – and a new pulse inverter all help boost range.

Charging speed is also up. Before, the Taycan could charge at up to 270 kW in ideal conditions; now, it can take 320 kW, and Porsche claims just 18 minutes to charge from 10 to 80 percent. InsideEVs editor-in-chief Patrick George actually saw a Taycan 4S prototype take just 16 minutes to go from 8 to 80 percent. All of these upgrades come at a price, though. The entry-level 2025 Taycan costs $101,395 compared with $92,550 for the previous version. At the top of the heap is the $213,695 Turbo S Cross Turismo, which is a whopping $14,695 more than its predecessor.

2025-porsche-taycan.jpg

2025-porsche-taycan.jpg

2025-porsche-taycan.jpg

2025-porsche-taycan.jpg

2025-porsche-taycan.jpg

2025-porsche-taycan.jpg

2025-porsche-taycan.jpg

2025-porsche-taycan.jpg

I dislike the touchscreen lower panel, I'd rather have physical buttons there. Otherwise, that wagon is fantastic!

That wagon in that green makes me fizz.
Also, 900+ hp and 320kw charging speed is just insane, even taking into account the price.
Only a million+€ Rimac can beat that...

That wagon in that green makes me fizz.
Also, 900+ hp and 320kw charging speed is just insane, even taking into account the price.
Only a million+€ Rimac can beat that...
That looks great, but I think the regular sports sedan with the classic Porsche roof line looks better.

But for the love of God, get that chrome deleted the heck off the car, chrome accents just looks terrible on everything produced after 1970.