Valve Steam Deck Portable Gaming PC

awdrifter

This is interesting, this is what Nintendo should've made the Switch Pro to be. Since you can install Windows on it, I can probably use it as a tablet/laptop in a pinch. I reserved the 256GB version, hopefully this will fair better than the Steam Box.

Okay, I still want to see a teardown, but I am putting in my order.

Linus' coverage is probably the most detailed so far. The only thing I hope is that the 15w TDP can be modified to 25w when plugged in. For non-custom APUs there are tools to set this, let's hope AMD/Valve doesn't lock it down. I plan to bring this on trips and I usually will have some kind of power source, so letting it run at 25w TDP will squeeze out a bit more power. Currently it's shown to be able to run Doom Eternal at 800p in low/medium, maybe 25w TDP will allow an all medium setting.

I just got an email notification about the delivery date being pushed back 2 months to February 2022.

?

Same, got the email that says the launch is delayed. But when I checked the reservation page it still shows Q2 2022 for me.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

And also buy my plushie :p

TL;DR It's great...for tinkerers and mildly tech-savvy folks. It's not a Nintendo Switch replacement for most of that console's market. Not of growing pains with game compatibility, but it's improving every day, and performance is excellent.

TL;DR It's great...for tinkerers and mildly tech-savvy folks. It's not a Nintendo Switch replacement for most of that console's market. Not of growing pains with game compatibility, but it's improving every day, and performance is excellent.

That about covers it. But what gaming system was perfect out of the box? This is not a closed system though, and some growing pains were expected.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usVPqs1Du_w
Giant Bomb got a Steam Deck. Seems like the performance is not quite up task for new games, but for older games it's ok. I'm still waiting to see if anyone can hack the TDP limit to be higher. In the Aya Neo increasing the TDP from 15w to 25w made a difference in some games.

Shoot...to be clear "not of growing pains" should have been "A lot of growing pains..."

Just noticed my expected order slipped to Q3. Hopefully it will be here by my birthday.

My reservation still says Q2 2022, hopefully it will not slip too.