2024 Ford Mustang leaks/spy shots

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
New Mustang coming for MY 2024.

Lots of fully-camo shots, but this was the first photo I've seen of the new nose so. Meh.

I think this will be the first Mustang I'll have actively disliked since the first "revitalization" in 2005, the first new model after the "New Edge".

1650040100183.png

Gauge cluster also looks like it's going to fully all LCD screen (no more analogue gauges).
1650040202515.png

Switchgear looks cheaper/more boring:
1650040241452.png

Climate controls moved to touch-screen:
1650040266571.png

1650040307160.png

Nice Lincoln front end with a horse badge in the grill instead.

I brightened up the front photo to see more detail. Still "meh".

1650041155405.png

I'll wait for better shots for my final verdict, but this is a bag full of ugly. That surround on the grille looks like it's got hideously inflated lips.

Edit: The Chinese language on the infotainment and plate holder has me wondering if this is a CDM or something.

Perhaps this is the first installment in the “make every car a mustang” thing that ford said they’d do.

Perhaps this is the first installment in the “make every car a mustang” thing that ford said they’d do.

I still want a 4-door or wagon Mustang (heck even a ute). Doesn't have to have the name, just the underpinnings and engine choices. Call it a Falcon, Taurus, whatever. I want more doors for more... places to put things and people.

I still want a 4-door or wagon Mustang (heck even a ute). Doesn't have to have the name, just the underpinnings and engine choices. Call it a Falcon, Taurus, whatever. I want more doors for more... places to put things and people.
I would buy a wagonstang in a SECOND.

How many years has it been since there was a "mustang, but sedan" that wasn't a Lincoln?

Everything but the engine choice. Mustang Mach E

The Lincoln LS? I thought that was Jag based?

Other way around. The S-Type was based on the LS. The D2C, which was an extremely heavily revised DEW98 for the mustang, could count. But only in the way that I am based on the same platform as George Clooney. Same goes for the SN95 platform, an extremely heavily revised Fox.

So the last time there was a "Mustang, but sedan" that was straight up just that was this.

1985-ford-ltd-lx-50-ho-5-speed-1.jpg

Quite why it has taken them so long to do this is perhaps the more interesting question. Nissan derives huge R&D savings and cost efficiencies from making 90% of the Infiniti lineup out of the FM platform. Provided they tune it properly, the parent vehicle of the platform should be irrelevant.

I would buy a wagonstang in a SECOND.
You, craig, and two other people. Then again, I guess you kinda can now

1650069120881.png

Last edited:
Other way around. The S-Type was based on the LS. The D2C, which was an extremely heavily revised DEW98 for the mustang, could count. But only in the way that I am based on the same platform as George Clooney. Same goes for the SN95 platform, an extremely heavily revised Fox.

Provided they tune it properly. the parent vehicle of the platform should be irrelevant.
Mr. Clooney has a point there I can attest as a former Jaguar Xtype owner that the driving varies from its originator. Honda is depending on that for their new EV's which are gong to be built off the GM platform.

I should mention im looking at cars in the same segment and potentially putting in a reservation for a VinFast VF8. Right now they throw in a vacation in Vietnam.

1650086819086.png

404 wagon not found. just another large crossover

To make that into a wagon, you would need to:
1) Fit 17's. Seriously. Stop it.
2) lower it
3) Either elongate the trunk or shift the rear axle forward shortening the wheelbase
4) put a non-truck frontend on it
5) change the seating position to be signifiantly less upright and lower the roof and beltline a corresponding amount
6) un-arch the roof and roof rails.

Last edited:

*sighs*

Thread hijack, will move to separate thread if we Analgear this.

BEHOLD! NOT WAGONS!

1650087365517.png

1650087417359.png

1650087480520.png

I love when I go down this particular argument of definition, because it exemplifies just how the manufacturers have managed to bring station wagons back. Nevermind the aversion of the form factor, nevermind their perceived image as mommymobiles or potential buyers' traumatic memories of being strapped next to their dipshit siblings for days on end to go visit relatives. The biggest hurdle for the sale of the wagon...is the name "wagon". So manufacturers went out of their way to call them anything else. Tourer, Sports Activity Vehicle, Avant, anything except wagon.

In the end, the term crossover was created. As cars got bigger, and consumers decided they wanted something closer to an SUV, but with as few disadvantages as possible. So they started making them on the same platforms as normal sedans, like the station wagons of yore, except harder because unibodies.

"The American Heritage Dictionary defines a station wagon as "an automobile with one or more rows of folding or removable seats behind the driver and no luggage compartment but an area behind the seats into which suitcases, Steamer Trunks parcels, etc., can be loaded through a tailgate."

The Brown diesel manual contingent may disagree (they will also not buy any wagon of any sort. At most paying lip service and saying they will buy one...used...), but that doesn't exclude crossovers (or SUV's for that matter, but that is another, even more senseless argument). There has never been a better time to buy a wagon, it's just that nobody calls them that anymore. :p

The Outback is only narrowly not-wagon. Remove the Legacy=>Outback suspension lift and the Outback *IS* a wagon (this is on my to-do list). It's a very different shape than the truck-adjacent Explorer. The key differentiator between crossover and wagon is, frankly 'can a person of normal height put shit on roof rails without a step ladder'

I haven't stood next to a recent V90, but assuming it's broadly similar, it just needs to give up ground clearance (yeah, it also doesn't have a roof rack to put shit on, but that's actually irrelevant). And look at the size of that tasty rear overhang.

And the Eagle? The Eagle wagon is in the family. It might be lifted, but owing to its overall smaller proportions, the roof is still right there.

And the Eagle? The Eagle wagon is in the family. It might be lifted, but owing to its overall smaller proportions, the roof is still right there.

Not really relevant, but I have a friend who used to run an Eagle in 'performance' rallies. He didn't mind spending a few dollars on interesting stuff & he had a metal shop create 3D emblems for the side of the car that said: "Nash Quattro". :rolleyes:

It's not as much of a change from the side as I thought it was, but I think I still prefer the old one.

2024:
1663205125234.png

2023:
1663205337874.png

I haven't had a chance to read up on the new car... until now.

First impressions after seeing the front, meh. But after seeing your side by side above, @NecroJoe , I do like many of the changes to the sides. The flatter side and details look better, a little more modern, cleaner. What I don't like is the moving the side markers to where they are. Though, the rear side marker looks better than the previous generation. I would prefer they were both integrated into the headlight and taillight, but that hasn't happened in awhile.

2024-ford-mustang-exterior-107-1663170245.jpg

2024-ford-mustang-exterior-108-1663170331.jpg

Rear looks a bit cheap as there isn't really anything to set it apart. Perhaps putting a black panel between the taillights?

2024-ford-mustang-exterior-108-1663170331_blackpanel.jpg

I think that helps and would be easy to do as a wrap if you didn't like it in the future.

2024-ford-mustang-exterior-111-1663170323.jpg

2024-ford-mustang-exterior-112-1663170333.jpg

2024-ford-mustang-exterior-113-1663170349.jpg

The rear looks squashed too. But honestly, it's not that bad.

2024-ford-mustang-interior-201-1663169384.jpg

Interior looks very nice. I like the big flat panel. C&D reports that one of the gauge cluster options is one that looks like the 1987-1993 Mustang. Gimmicky, but not as bad as say a 126dB speaker for an electric vehicle.

Which, brings us to powertrain. The 2.3 turbo 4 and 5.0 V8 return. No mention of electrification. My brain is conflicted. The nostalgia side says, good. The other part says, it's bad that they aren't offering an electric version. But... back to the dinosaur burners. 2.3 is said to get a bump in power from the previous generations 330/350. Sadly, the 6-speed manual is gone for the 4-banger, 10-speed auto only. Again, the 5.0 will get more power than the current 480/420. Could we see a 500 horse stock GT? Maybe, but probably just 490. The 6-speed manual is standard, 10-speed auto is optional on the V8.

Is this the new Mustang I wanted? Did I want a new Mustang? Maybe I just need to get my 40 year old turd running instead.

To me, the new exterior design looks like a Mustang, wearing makeup to try to look like a Camaro. To me, the mustang looked more like a skin, stretched over the structure, while the Camaro looked like the structure was covered with polygons, and my own sensibilities thought the Mustang looked more sleek and nimble, while the Camaro looked more "tough".

The Fox body gauge visual is a fun nod I think, and it doesn't go overboard. In fact...it maybe doesn't really go far enough. It's maybe not enough like the original, while also not looking cool enough to stand on its own. I do like the color going from white to green with the headlights, though.
1663209971101.png

1663209982625.png

According to what I've read, the Mustang platform could support a hybrid and be AWD, but not a full electric. An electric sports car would need a clean-sheet design.

The straight line across the top of the headlights and the grill isn't appealing to me on a mustang. On an Audi? Sure. Not a Mustang. :(

1663210450724.png

1663210568470.png

Last edited: