Last movie you saw?

Well, actually, to expand on my thought: not a first date movie. My date didn't enjoy the movie. šŸ˜…

I watched Thin Ice.
The trailer doesn't do it justice. Much more engaging, worth the watch.

Death On The Nile.
Classic Agatha Christie novel turned into a damn good movie. Good story, real good cast, and shot beautifully.

Reactions: lip
^ I just watched the (2019? 2020? 2021?) 2022 Death on the Nile.

Maybe it's my age and the fact that I love the 1978 film to bits that the current version did nothing to me. Especially the unecessary CGI, it slapped me hard out of the movie every time when it got cranked to 11 on the screen. The 1978 film was all done on location in Egypt, and hence has genuine atmosphere. The current version has the aura of a stage play with background paintings. Added by the fact that none of the ships crew has any interaction with the main cast, and that the ship looks clean and blank without any deck furniture or signs of wear.

Also the characters are too far from the book now, with truly distracting stunt casting (Russel Brand can't act at all) and nonsensical political correctness in a movie that plays in 1936 and 1937. The change to give the communist traits of Mr Ferguson to Lady van Schuyler doesn't make any sense either. Deleting a distinguished Race and replacing it with the bland Bouc even more so.

But I understand that remakes like this have their place, as you can polish and sell old stuff as new to a younger generation, and hence I'm simply not the target audience for this movie.- Live and let live.- But I anyway go and watch the Ustinov movie now and give this one a bad rating regardless: 3/10

Everything everywhere all at once.
OH BOY, this was a wild ride. I walked in without knowing much about the movie (which I prefer to do) and I was surprised by a fun, emotional movie that it hard to fit in a genre. It has lots of comedy, plenty of action and enough drama to make me and my date cry our eyes out.
I've been steering clear of the Marvel behemoth and I couldn't be happier with our latest streak of "weird" movies.

Just saw the latest Batman (or Battinson). I liked it! Well cast and the darkness of the picture didn't bother me in the theater but I imagine it can be a bit of a pain on your home screen. Gritty scenes, good chases, not super turbo serious. Pattinson played an interesting Batman and Jeffrey Wright made a good Gary Oldman. I think I prefer this to the earlier films (1989 and Returns are in a class of their own).

Nobody, the 2021 film about the titular protagonist being drawn out of his boring suburban life after some gangsters stumble into his life.
The film can also aptly described as "Midlife Crisis - the Movie". :D
Basically it's about a middle-aged man with a dark past and dark side to him - that get's awakened and he gets to vent his frustrations by doing all the badassery that the target audience of men in a similarly boring phase in life perhaps dream about.

As such, it works well. Classic action B-movie.

Nobody, the 2021 film about the titular protagonist being drawn out of his boring suburban life after some gangsters stumble into his life.
Basically it's about a middle-aged man with a dark past and dark side to him - that get's awakened and he gets to vent his frustrations by doing all the badassery that the target audience of men in a similarly boring phase in life perhaps dream about.

It's like John Wick meets Taken, but starting Bob Odenkirk, and it's a lot of fun.

Okay, I will start with The Lost City. A somewhat standard Rom-Com with a side of action, similar to Romancing The Stone, but funnier. 7/10 An entertaining movie.

Mortal Engines. Think Waterworld on land, but worse. 3.1/10 Iif you can't find anything else to watch, and it won't cost you extra, read a book?

Screenshot_20220520-150657.png

"Parents in a small, conservative community want to ban sex education in schools, labeling it a Communist plot. However, the two people leading the charge against sex ed are revealed to be an impotent alcoholic and a gay policeman."

It's compelling. The editing makes you work. Comedy, exploitation movie, satire. The movie jumps around from ernest to vulgar to childish.

I believe the original movie was going to feature psychic pro-sex women conspiracy... because something is missing. I don't think the town wants to ban sex ed it's never said. Rather some lady wants Dr Lady to teach and she wants to teach sex honestly... Oh and the mail man is a Nazi.

There is a great bit after the Marine guy says he demanded the local pharmacy remove smut. The teacher stands up and confronts the parent with "what if I were to demand they remove cigarettes or those wash pads who advertise with nude ladies in bubbles..."

I'd recommend it. It's very timely movie from 1970.

Last edited:
TopGun Maverick.

Too much fan service, too much quick cuts in action scenes.

Despite that, not bad brainless entertainment for aviation nerds.

I recently watched The Batman. With almost any movie that is nearly 3 hours, it could easily lose half an hour and be better for it. With that being said, it wasn't all bad. Paul Dano had a couple of moments to shine as the Riddler. John Turturro was excellent. Beyond that, I was not really able to engage with the story.

5/10

Reactions: lip
TopGun Maverick.

Too much fan service, too much quick cuts in action scenes.

Despite that, not bad brainless entertainment for aviation nerds.

Watched it earlier tonight, enjoyed it immensely. Iā€™m as far from a movie buff as it gets and could barely remember the story of the original Top Gun.

It was so satisfying to watch a new generation of young hot shot (pun intended) fighter pilots trying to teach their dad how to f:censored:, as the saying goes.

Also when the original Top Gun theme started building up. Awesome.

Watched it earlier tonight, enjoyed it immensely. Iā€™m as far from a movie buff as it gets and could barely remember the story of the original Top Gun.

It's about volleyball.

A group of us rented out a theater for a private showing of Top Gun: Maverick.

It's very much like the original, so if you liked it and want more you should see it. It's a "turn off the brain and watch the action" kind of film.

Very good use of their one "fuck" for the PG-13 rating.

Last edited:
I think a huge part of the reason I enjoyed it so much was that I was sitting in a movie theater with four other guys my age. We all remember the original, it's a part of our childhood.

We probably looked like five Hans Landa GIFs in a row when Faltermeyer's Top Gun Anthem started playing and slowly buiding up to the guitar riff.

Same.

I hadn't watched the original Top Gun since I was a kid and would just watch it for the airplanes. Rewatching it as an adult made me really appreciate Maverick - he both wanted to please his dead father and resented him for being absent. All he knew is his dad had screwed up in the cockpit and was shot down, he pushed himself beyond the limit to not be that guy. We find out from Viper that Mav's dad was a hero but was on an illegal mission in Laos where he saved four other pilots while flying a damaged aircraft.

That jacket Maverick wears is his dad's - you can tell by the patches.

Attack.

The plot is super predictable, but for an Indian movie the action scenes are well done.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnC-XvFGflM

Nobody is directed by the same director as Hardcore Henry, if you want to see that kind of action but in first person, maybe give that a try.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96EChBYVFhU

Last edited:
I've seen Hardcore Henry. It's slightly nauseating (I'm not used to playing FPS games), but very good fun! And as a movie concept, absolutely brilliant.