iPhone / iOS Thread

So if I get an iPhone with an eSIM option. Once I turn that physical SIM card to an eSIM, what happens when I need to upgrade to another phone?
If the other phone is also an iPhone, it can be transferred as part of the initial setup / data transfer from the old one to the new. For any other phone, what eizbaer said - theoretically you can just re-use the QR code the carrier sends your for the first-time eSIM setup on the new phone, and it should just work.

If the other phone is also an iPhone, it can be transferred as part of the initial setup / data transfer from the old one to the new. For any other phone, what eizbaer said - theoretically you can just re-use the QR code the carrier sends your for the first-time eSIM setup on the new phone, and it should just work.

Well, my worry is my DE number is through MedionMobile and they wanted me to FAX MY BANKING INFO to them so they could set me up for online payments. So that’s all…

Well, my worry is my DE number is through MedionMobile and they wanted me to FAX MY BANKING INFO to them so they could set me up for online payments. So that’s all…
Germany :ROFLMAO:

I take it you don't want to use Prepaid?

Germany :ROFLMAO:

I take it you don't want to use Prepaid?

No it is prepaid, but I wanted to set up paying direct from my bank account so that I don't have to pay with a stupid cash card or something. I can either pay online right now if I get one of those cash cards in an Aldi or enter my bank account credentials once? however, since setting it up and supposedly not finishing the process, I have been getting charged monthly, so who the fucks knows.

This is also a super basic primative cell phone plan. I hopefully doubt that Telekom, O2, or Vodaphone are a little more modern. :)

iPhone VPN apps are ‘a scam,’ security researcher warns–and Apple knows it​

Michael Horowitz claims that VPNs on iOS aren't protecting your data like they claim and Apple has know for years.

New base iPad and iPad Pro:

View: https://youtu.be/yUKRkPKg5_U
Big change for the base iPad, also more than $100 price hike, to make it a cheaper version of the 2020 iPad Air. Despite the redesign with flat sides and USB-C, it doesn't support Apple Pencil 2 like all other iPads, for some weird reason, you still have to use the old one but with an adapter. No changes for the iPad Pro, other than a spec bump from M1 to M2 which gives you WiFi 6e.

with the updates to the Apple TV, I pulled the trigger on the 128gb model with thread and ethernet instantly… finally no more fire tv crapbox! Also did they actually lower the price compared to the old model??? o_O

I find it so weird to know that any

- 2022 Apple TV 5nm
- 2022 iPhone 4nm
- 2022 iPad 5nm

has more raw performance and performance per watt than my

- 2012 iMac 27" 22nm
- 2019 Macbook Pro 16" 14nm

Makes me wish I kept my 2011 MBP 13" 32nm and upgraded to a 2021 MBP 16" 5nm instead.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have a problem on my 11 Pro (running iOS 16.1.1) where I can't unlock the screen while attempting to make a call. The screen will turn on for like a second when I remove the phone from my ear, but it will go black immediately after that, and tapping the screen or pressing the power button won't do anything.

Is this software-related or could it be that the service that replaced my battery screwed something up? Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

could it be that the service that replaced my battery screwed something up
Tbh that sounds a bit like a screwed up proximity sensor to me… like the phone thinks youre back to holding it to your ear (thus ignoring all input) despite the fact you’re not. What’s weird is that this doesn’t happen in other situations? 🤷‍♂️

Is this software-related or could it be that the service that replaced my battery screwed something up? Anyone else experiencing anything similar?
Maybe start with making sure service center didn't screw something up.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus that has a not so good battery anymöre. It males it through the day, but when I get home, its at 20%, and needs a charge while I cook dinner.

I hate the size of the 8 and want something smaller. As much as I want OG SE size, like the 5s, I know that ship as sailed, sunk, and is rotting at the bottom of the sea. So what’s the smallest, still modern phone with a camera better than what the 8/8 plus has? I do not need bleeding edge performance or high refresh rate. I am getting along fine as is. But i want to be able to have good enough photo quality should i want frame a photo.

iPhone12 or 13 mini maybe? Should check the box on size, camera and also last a long while regarding updates since both are still fairly young… wife has 13 mini and is very happy with it. Performance is probably overkill, but hey, future proof or whatever 😜

Edit: good point below on the improved battery in the 13 mini for sure!

13 mini. I know it's been discontinued, but you might still be able to find one for sale in some store. The battery life is improved over the 12 mini (which had a bit lackluster battery life), the camera should be quite decent, and it's plenty fast and fluid. And it slots in size between the 5s and the 8.

Honestly, if I had the money, I would've bought one in May, but I settled for a used 11 Pro, which is still good. Actually, it probably suits my needs even better because of the added bonus of a telephoto camera and better battery life (now that I actually had the battery replaced, lol), and the size is still reasonably small, but I still need to take it back to the repair shop that replaced my battery to see what's wrong with the proximity sensor. Problems of buying used stuff.

EDIT: now I see eizbaer was faster, but yeah, I'd definitely recommend the 13 mini over the 12 mini, the battery life is better, and it should be easier to find one.