The "Things that annoy me" thread

German supermarkets really need to up their chocolate mousse game. Even the British do it better, for heaven’s sake!

They’ve never been willing to sell anything like the deliciousness you get in any Belgian store and instead they have recently started selling “high protein” desserts including chocolate mousse which I refuse to buy like all other bullshit food.

German supermarkets really need to up their chocolate mousse game. Even the British do it better, for heaven’s sake!

They’ve never been willing to sell anything like the deliciousness you get in any Belgian store and instead they have recently started selling “high protein” desserts including chocolate mousse which I refuse to buy like all other bullshit food.

What the fuck is with Bio? Like, should I assume Bio yogurt isn't dairy? what the heck is it?

What the fuck is with Bio? Like, should I assume Bio yogurt isn't dairy? what the heck is it?
Bio = certified organic

What he said. It’s just the German word for organic and the requirements for the certification can be quite contentious.

Funnily enough, I think “organic” is just as silly as “Bio”. There’s no food that doesn’t have anything to do with organic chemistry and biology* so the moniker might as well be “for eating”.

*make that “and/or” for NaCl

Last edited:
lands in states, following day install US sim card to old android so I can make calls

sees LTE and data works, gets texts messages from carrier saying things are set up.

attempt to make a call

*DING* call ends

send texts to parents, nothing

try call again

*DING* call ends

go to carrier website, no options to check activation.

only have email or a phone number for support, email once yesterday, and again this morning, nothing.

look for brick and mortar stores, drive 1 hour to first, phone store is now a spa and nail place. go to second closest location, situated in a strip mall with metal caging across front windows and no lights on inside. check google, google says it's open until 6PM.

*sigh*

go home, attempt to set up google voice, they want a second phone number to text a setup code to.

View: https://media3.giphy.com/media/2oUfvvUgQHnLsQWFMW/200.gif

Kitchen appliances that tell the time.

My coffee maker just thought it was 0:07, the stove 0:03 and the microwave 0:02. I actually use the timer on the coffee maker every morning, but I wish it would keep the display off.

My friend has a nice stacked pair of integrated ovens with their own clocks. They are always a minute or two apart.

This inflatable toy. Of all of the whales they could have picked for a "Whaletastic" toy, they picked a whale shark. Whale sharks are not even actually a whale (it's a shark), but it doesn't have a "sideways" tail, either.

The toy:
20220528_131815.jpg

Screenshot_20220528-215520_Gallery.jpg

Grr - I just received an E-Mail that a train trip I booked months in advance can't go ahead as scheduled because changes in timetables. Usually that wouldn't be a big issue since (at least in Germany) when that happens you can rebook to any other suitable connection. The issue is that I'm planning to take a bicycle with me (go figure...), and since the trip is in less than three weeks pretty much all alternatives are booked. The only alternative the booking page spits out with available bicycle spaces involves four changeovers instead of one. Factor in the slim probability of all of those five trains being on time on a Sunday evening/night I would probably strand somewhere between Munich and Hamburg on a Sunday night...

My main HP Laptop has been having an issue since around December that if I leave it on, it will just freeze, sometimes hours, sometimes minutes. Won't come out of a off screen. So I must force shut it down and reboot. I haven't a clue what the issue is, I tried diagnosing what I saw in the event viewer, failed that so I did the next sensible thing that someone who doesn't understand the interworkings of operating systems and told Windows to reinstall the OS files, but retain all my shit. Now the game of running through the list of apps that were removed and only install what I use these days.

And to find that SD card I have with the latest of my music library. I've got Top Gear on another that I use to fall asleep to. :(

Hopefully that will fix it but it could be a hardware issue stopping it from waking up. You also need to get some kind of backup in place for the files on the laptop and the SD cards before you lose something. It's not if you will lose files, but when. :p

Hopefully that will fix it but it could be a hardware issue stopping it from waking up. You also need to get some kind of backup in place for the files on the laptop and the SD cards before you lose something. It's not if you will lose files, but when. :p

Tell that to my 2Mb upload. I’m trying to do that.

WHO ASKED FOR ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS IN WINDOWS THAT DARKENS DARK IMAGES AND BRIGHTENS LIGHTER SCENES, THEN HIDE THE OPTION TO DISABLE IT, FUCK YOU.

not even a command prompt code to disable it turns it off, i have finlagear set to dark mode and my whole screen is dim despite windows saying the brightness is full.

I had to download the Intel Graphics Command Center and turn off something that doesn't even say that it dims the display.

Just Display Power Settings......

1654228483508.png

Really? Windows by default switches this on, then provides no option to turn off. I have to download a control program not driver related to fucking turn off this useless function that serves only to piss me off.

Last edited:
Deat Ashley Furniture: you can't have Memorial Day "door buster" sale prices that last all week.

I have to download a control program not driver related to fucking turn off this useless function that serves only to piss me off.
You're describing a driver-specific feature right there. I would've kind of expected Windows Update to install the Intel software automatically, it's included in the Dell driver packs I use at work anyway.

I have that, it just isn’t the latest.
Well get on with updating it then. If you only have one hard drive, get another and don't keep them together. I've learnt to take this pretty seriously, so I'm going to give you shit for it until you also take it seriously. :tease:

Online backups are completely viable regardless of upload speed, it can just run quietly in the background and before you know it the backup is done. Depending on which (if any) cloud providers you trust, there are lots of options out there. I trust Amazon to house a copy of my photos, it's free with my Prime subscription and there is just shy of 1TB up there. Their sync app allows you to set a limit for uploads. If it was as basic as some web space and an FTP client that can also be speed limited.

The same photos also exist as a copy on my server hard drive array and on multiple separate hard drives that I store elsewhere and I updated them all on the 1st. Any spare hard drives I have are used to make backup copies of something. You might not be able to protect against something like the Blackout mentioned in Blade Runner 2049 that destroyed computer storage of all types but you can damn well protect again everything else. no excuses! :p

Why does my northeastern neighbor still have their Christmas lights up and on each night?
Quoting for reference.

It's 12:30 am, April 2nd and guess what? Still up, still on every night. Will update in a month.
Quoting the quote for reference.

It's 11:00 pm, May 1st and guess what? Still up, still on every night. Will update in a month.
Quoting the quotes for reference to reference the references.

It's 9pm on June 5th and, you guessed it, they are still on every night.

it’s not like they’re just left on 24/7? They’re switched on at dusk?