UnUnited Kingdom

Mystery surrounds Times exclusive claiming Boris Johnson wanted to give Carrie Symonds a £100,000 role​

Why did one of the scoops of the year suddenly disappear from newspapers friendly to the prime minister?
You might have thought it one of the scoops of the year – the allegation that when he was foreign secretary, Boris Johnson wanted to install his then-lover Carrie Symonds as his chief of staff on a salary of at least £100,000 a year, before senior colleagues made it clear that such a “flagrant abuse of ethics” would have been unacceptable.
Yet the story was turned down by one leading newspaper, then picked up and printed by another before disappearing altogether.

“I stand by the story 100 per cent,” Walters told me. “I was in lengthy and detailed communication with No 10 at a high level, Ben Gascoigne and Mrs Johnson’s spokeswoman for up to 48 hours before the paper went to press. At no point did any of them offer an on-the-record denial of any element of the story.”

The award-winning political journalist adds: “Nor have any of these three offered an on-the-record denial to me since. No 10 and Mr Gascoigne did not deny it off-the-record either.”

UK grinds to a halt as biggest rail strikes in 30 years begin​

About 80 per cent of train services across Britain will be cancelled today as the biggest rail strikes in 30 years begin.

Last edited:
It's not dodgy if it's royalty? 😇

From the article;

The paper says this was one of three cash donations from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim totalling three million euros.
Clarence House said donations from the sheikh were passed immediately to one of the prince's charities and all the correct processes were followed.
There is no suggestion the payments were illegal.

If it was legitimate, why not pay with checks?

We are on track for a currency crisis – and bankruptcy​

According to the latest national accounts, published last week, Britain’s current account deficit widened in the first quarter of this year to an astonishing 8.3pc of Gross Domestic Product, easily the biggest such deficit ever.

In layman’s terms, what this means is that overall expenditure in the UK is exceeding national income by nearly a tenth of the value of the entire economy.

All other things being equal, there would be nothing left at all in the national coffers in little more than ten years from now if we were to carry on like this.

Last edited: