Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

The M1 Air should come down in price a bit now that the M2 model is out. There have been good deals out there even before, I'd hold out for one with 16GB. 8GB is just not futureproof imho, especially with the workloads you're describing.
"Should". The M1 is staying the same price, at least for now, with the M2 coming in at a higher price.

Fast forward to this afternoon when I go pick it up, and it's a carbon-fiber shell model with a mid-tier 11th gen i7, 1080p 400 nit screen, 16gb RAM, nvme SSD, camera that can do Windows Hello, readable bqck-lit keyboard, charges via USB-C, MSRP today is ~$2k
What model was that? Sounds similar to some of the Latitude 74XX models we've been buying at work. Nice machines. Dell will run model names for years and then suddenly have 3 new models in the same amount of time. The latest 7420s have USB-C charging, which is a bit annoying because if someone loses a charger we can't just go to the big box of spare barrel plug chargers we have. I looked up an adapter but nowhere had any stock.

The new machines also have a built in ethernet NIC but the Dell driver packs don't support it properly. Using that NIC to image a machine results in it not connecting to the domain, so we still have to use a USB NIC to build properly. Bit annoying.

What model was that? Sounds similar to some of the Latitude 74XX models we've been buying at work. Nice machines. Dell will run model names for years and then suddenly have 3 new models in the same amount of time. The latest 7420s have USB-C charging,

Yep, it's a 7420

Sometimes being right is depressing, I've been doing my job for too long! :p

Be warned, that site tried to download something to my phone.

Try this one instead.

If true, there's many moral questions to answer. Among them, if we created it, is it right to kill it, if it threatens us?

Last edited:
It works on my phone without anything, but I do have AdAway on my phone so maybe it got blocked in the background.

Now I don't think there are any AI that's currently sentient, but I think we will have to answer that moral question in 15-25 years. If we're able to merge with AI like Elon Musk is aiming to do, then maybe we can understand how it thinks and it should give some insight as to whether we should consider it sentient and afford it the same rights as human.

Person 1: "No, it's not sentient. It's just repeating words it's heard elsewhere, telling you what you want to hear, trying to elicit the desired reaction."

Person 2: "...so like people."

Person 1: "N...yeah, but no. Like, it takes in all of the information it's absorbed from the internet, and it's used them to craft a simulated personality, repeating what it's learned in a way to try to indicate what it wants you to think it wants."

Person 2: *stares blankly*

Person 1: "Shut up, it's not people."

28132528208_38c0cc4bb6_o.gif

My parents finally got their fiber hooked up the other day. I’m their IT guy, obviously, and I’ve been waiting for some kind of information as to exactly what they’ll deliver. I was expecting an ethernet jack so I could roll my own stuff from there on. Turns out that the contract includes a router which gets installed wherever the fiber happens to terminate. In this case in the boiler room, leaving half the house with double digit speeds and parts of the house with spotty coverage. Great.

Turn off WiFi, DNS and everything on the provided router, turn it into a dumb modem with an ethernet jack, roll your own stuff behind it? Or is it locked down to not allow any of that? In which case I'd probably riot.

Turn off WiFi, DNS and everything on the provided router, turn it into a dumb modem with an ethernet jack, roll your own stuff behind it? Or is it locked down to not allow any of that? In which case I'd probably riot.

I am fairly sure it’s a fiber box that puts out cable tv and gigabit and a separate generic router which will be yeeted as soon as i can find time to drive out there and have a look.

I will try and reuse the (crappy) zyxel mesh network they’ve been using with the 4G connection. Hoping it won’t be too much of a bottleneck with the new faster speeds. If not, I’ll get a nicer mesh network and perhaps do wired backhaul.

Am I the only one having an urge to build a new PC because of the GPU price drops?

No :devilish:

Question for all who have either built a Hackitnosh or installed MacOS on some sort of x86-based PC: how hard is it for a beginner?

I want something to run MacOS, preferably on cheap, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a used Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p Tiny from eBay. They can be had for as little as €100 shipped, maybe even cheaper if I can find someone getting rid of one locally. I'd prefer something with the Mac Mini form factor, or a real Mac Mini, but those seem to still hold the value quite good. Besides, in case of a Mac Mini, I'm basically stuck with either 2012 (still quite old) or 2014 (doesn't have user-serviceable RAM, supports only one SATA drive, no quad-core CPU version), if I want my machine to be even moderately modern.

That got me thinking: those M93p Tiny machines are somewhat popular in the Hackinotsh community, and the installation of MacOS is allegedly quite a simple process. How hard can it be? I'm not expecting much from them, I know you can only expect so much from a Haswell chip and integrated graphics, but they are still somewhat modern (I know I'm stretching the meaning of modern here), serviceable and upgradable (to a certain degree) and are known to be able to run MacOS.

Or should I shell out €200 for a mid-tier 2014 Mac Mini and save myself the trouble?

You have a 2014 Mac Mini, and you have a 2014 Mac Mini. :D

Yeah I wouldn’t bother trying to build something like that now, I you really want MacOS that badly just buy a cheap Mac. I’ve never seen a good reason to use it but the new MacBook Air M2 looks really tasty in black.