Energy production, storage, and future technologies

By improving electrolysis efficiency to 95 per cent, that means it’ll only take 41.5kWh to generate a kilo of fuel. That’s a huge improvement over the old method of electrolysis, but also over the fossil-fuel-based hydrogen production methods, which are about 75 per cent efficient at best.

While the increase in efficiency is nice, you still use more energy than you get in return.

China will add enough new solar power this year to nearly double last year’s record amount of installations as the the country accelerates its clean energy drives.

The nation is set to add 108 gigawatts of solar power to the grid this year, up from 54.88 gigawatts in 2021, state-owned CCTV reported on Monday, citing the National Energy Administration. There are 121 gigawatts of solar projects currently under construction, the NEA said.

China currently has the world’s largest renewable power fleet with 323 gigawatts of solar and 338 gigawatts of wind. President Xi Jinping is aiming for 1,200 gigawatts combined by 2030, but rapid deployment means the country is likely to reach the target years early.

Okay, I get that this is a heatwave, but why hasn't Texas joined the national grid yet? And 50 cents a KWH??? WTAF? How much solar is being installed down there? Or have the State and power regulations created impediments?

Okay, I get that this is a heatwave, but why hasn't Texas joined the national grid yet? And 50 cents a KWH??? WTAF? How much solar is being installed down there? Or have the State and power regulations created impediments?
In order:
Because Texas thinks they are their own country attached to the US only for their own convenience.

Some, but not enough.

Yes.

But that would mean incredible government oversight and control over your life, and Texas doesn't stand for that kind of shit. You will die of exposure, but you will die free.

1. Idiocy. They don't want to be beholden to federal oversight and regulation even though it's clearly needed. Texas' leadership doesn't care about Texans and doesn't give a flying shit if we die because of their incompetence, arrogance and greed. And believe me—if the power grid has to roll through brownouts in this heat, people will die.
2. Texas doesn't care if we go bankrupt, either. They don't even care if we live—why would they care if we get to keep our money? As long as the lobbyists don't lose so much that they quit lining state politicians' pockets, they don't care.
3. I know the Assorted Musk Companies and some others have pushed into solar, but I don't know the full numbers. All I know is that what we do have, collectively, solar and non-solar, is beyond poorly managed and it ain't enough. That's on ERCOT and the state.

I did my part—my house is set to 78, the blinds are mostly shut to keep the cool in and whatever—I'm pretty healthy and cold-natured on a normal day, so yeah. I'm sick and tired of having to ping work "hey, my state says it's having trouble providing basic first-world services" in case they do the blackout thing and my power randomly drops. I live in a rapidly failing state.

Fix this garbage or I'm out.