International eMV

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
Not sure how long these have been out, but this is an interesting truck. These aren't long haul, but rather meant more for city P&D or possibly school buses.

eMV_Beauty_750x500.png

And since it shares a cab and chassis with an existing truck (although it's new as well), it doesn't look too "futuristic" that someone might feel weird driving it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW58t5nitBg
Range is the part it probably needs help with, but it really still isn't bad for a first attempt.

EV trucks are ideal for "last mile" deliveries and moving most trucks used for these runs to EVs would make a huge impact on urban air quality.

I witnessed last mile delivery trucks around Freiburg and Umkirch. It’s both weird not hearing a Diesel engine but nice not dealing with the exhaust smell.

So I’m all for it, provided it doesn’t mean these guys that will drive them are inconvenienced.

So I’m all for it, provided it doesn’t mean these guys that will drive them are inconvenienced.

I got the impression from the video that the truck could be way faster, but they tuned it to accelerate the same as the ICE truck.

Only thing I could imagine being an inconvenience is the short range. I could see it being great for school buses though.

I got the impression from the video that the truck could be way faster, but they tuned it to accelerate the same as the ICE truck.

Only thing I could imagine being an inconvenience is the short range. I could see it being great for school buses though.

Yeah, that range is low. Of course recharge time takes a while too, but how long does it take to fill a 50-70 gallon tank? Sure, it's not 90 minutes, but still. I don't see these taking off right away. But I hope it sells enough for them to keep making more as it's a good idea.

Yeah, that range is low. Of course recharge time takes a while too, but how long does it take to fill a 50-70 gallon tank? Sure, it's not 90 minutes, but still. I don't see these taking off right away. But I hope it sells enough for them to keep making more as it's a good idea.

I have a feeling regulations in certain states/countries will drive innovation (read that as better/faster charging) on these.

I have a feeling regulations in certain states/countries will drive innovation (read that as better/faster charging) on these.

Yeah……….

They will charge when they are loading or parked overnight. They don't need a huge range because they don't go that far from home.

My expectation is that FCEV will eventually take the place of ICE vehicles on most commercial/heavy duty applications where BEV simply doesn't have the range or the scale of batteries will become a problem.

135 miles or so should be fine for last-mile delivery with smart routing and a sufficiently dense city

For City P&D I'd agree. For school buses they can also charge between the morning and afternoon run.

But even with city P&D you may start out in a town 40-125 miles away from your area.

Don't forget that regenerative braking adds back to the range.

But even with city P&D you may start out in a town 40-125 miles away from your area.
There are plenty of cases that have reasonably short routes, especially with multiple stops. Worry about the cases with longer trips once the rest is done electrifying.

It might with federally mandated driver breaks. You could also be topping up the battery while unloading/loading are the dock - probably not a full charge but enough to extend the range.

In lots of cities, it'd be pushing it to break 150 miles in a day for a delivery truck, but this doesn't strike me quite as much of a delivery truck, and more of a support truck for roadwork and construction crews, where they'll drive to the job site, and then stay parked for 8 hours.

In lots of cities, it'd be pushing it to break 150 miles in a day for a delivery truck, but this doesn't strike me quite as much of a delivery truck, and more of a support truck for roadwork and construction crews, where they'll drive to the job site, and then stay parked for 8 hours.

It's meant to be fitted with, well just about anything, but a box on the back for dry goods would be one of the main things these trucks would get.

It looks like those truck repair, cat repair, telephone or electric company trucks. None of those guys do just a job nearby and can easily exceed 125mi in a day.

One of the things about the EV version is, it's a longer than normal chassis to fit all the batteries. So, it's less likely, currently, to end up with a service body.

The cost is another factor. I think he said it starts at $200k, then add your body.

Ahh, I didn't catch that it was longer. In theory, the increased cost would be more-than-offset by reduced maintenance and running costs, as it has been (or at least seems to be) the case with the bus fleets than have gone EV. With short-range vehicles you won't be saving quite as much on gas, but their maintenance costs, I have to imagine, would be on par because of the harder engine work cycle, harder wear on the brakes, more shifting, etc.

Don't forget that regenerative braking adds back to the range.
That is huge for trucks. Especially ones that make a lot of stops - last mile and esp. package/mail delivery, garbage collection, and public transport / buses. Using regen braking there is an enormous advantage - lots of energy regained to be put back into acceleration, no brake wear, less noise just to name a few.