The "Things that annoy me" thread

If I was looking for a new bank, modern apps and stuff would be the number one priority. Thankfully I don't have to because my bank already has what I think is a superb app. And before there were apps, I used their online banking in desktop and PDA web versions on everything from PalmOS to Netscape 4 on Linux. Never a problem.

A few weeks ago, at 2:43am the day after buying cinema tickets online (for a place I've never used before) I got some fraudulent transactions on my card. Pre-auth charges from US companies I've never heard of. The card company sent me an SMS straight away with response options to report fraud but since I was asleep I didn't see them until the company called me and woke me up. They were very efficient and I got a new card in a few days.

The fact that they're ending the promotion with Amazon that earns me points and vouchers kind of sours the otherwise great relationship. I have until January to decide if I stay or leave for a better cashback card. The app and site for this are very good.

Last edited:
One of my BLIP! neighbours BLIP! needs to BLIP! replace the battery BLIP! in their fire BLIP! alarm.

BLIP!

This is one of my pet peeves! That beep is picked specifically because it is irritating. I have no idea how people can sit there and listen to it go off on a regular basis. Even thinking about it is giving me a headache!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4gryBwY5Bfw

If I was looking for a new bank, modern apps and stuff would be the number one priority. Thankfully I don't have to because my bank already has what I think is a superb app. And before there were apps, I used their online banking in desktop and PDA web versions on everything from PalmOS to Netscape 4 on Linux. Never a problem.

My main bank (the credit card in question is a backup from a different one) is quite good at digital banking, it’s the core of their customer business. I can deactivate my cards temporarily, allow only certain kinds of transactions and block them country by country in the app. The verification of online payments is quick and easy, too, and the push notifications tend to be instantaneous. Quite a difference from the aforementioned other bank.

One of my BLIP! neighbours BLIP! needs to BLIP! replace the battery BLIP! in their fire BLIP! alarm.

BLIP!
There's been a quiet chirp coming from an area shared by 5 properties for the last year. I can't tell where it's coming from, and none of them have responded to a as-kind-as-I-could-muster note I've left them all. At least it's quiet enough to ignore if you're at least the tiniest bit tired.

Last year, though, for 3-4 months straight, there was two going off in our neighbor's back yard directly outside our bedroom window that's right near the head of our bed. For Christmas, I gave them a little gift box with 2 9v batteries and a $10 Target gift card with a note "Wishing you and your family a healthy, safe, and fire-free new year". I'll note that this is the neighbor that had all sorts of illegal out-buildings and unlicensed additions and electrical and had an RV catch fire and burned down a recently-build 2-story "shed" and the only reason the fire department showed up was because we called 911, and then the city/fire marshall made them tear down a bunch of their structures and add-ons Since then, the dad died from a cancer he was fighting, and another neighbor told us that the (adult age) kids sort of blame us for calling 911 because of the aftermath with the city and law enforcement with having to evict a bunch of their illegal tennants, and that the stress of it all might have stressed him out and die sooner.

And I'm sure these smoke detectors were ones that were forced to install by the city, too.

It’s STILL fucking beeping.
Clearly the only solution is to burn the place down, initially it will make a different noise and then it will stop entirely. If they ask why just say there was a spider. :p

Clearly the only solution is to burn the place down, initially it will make a different noise and then it will stop entirely. If they ask why just say there was a spider. :p
This made me think of the top gear news scene where clarkson smashed the little device with a hammer that would beep and say “this vehicle runs on diesel.”

It’s STILL fucking beeping.
sounds like my experience with my neighbours phone alarm or something... set to 11 am for some reason. goes off every day. nobody home at that time, every day. so it just keeps going. sometimes it pauses, then comes back. it's weird. also it's a very calm bingely bingely kinda noise, so through the floor it is sort of on the edge of hearing making you strain to hear clearly what's going on. infuriating.

My mother's alarm clock has been known to go off in the evening, somehow she manages to change it so the alarm or the main time is 12 hours out. I wish she would just use her phone these days, I've used mine for years and had zero issues.

Remembering that spring when Apple had a bug in the DST change which caused millions of Europeans to oversleep. The alarm went off one hour too late.

When the fridge goes from 5C to 20C and its takes over week to get a delivery :mad:

Our oven died 2 weeks after thr big holiday appliance sales. We're holding off until September's holiday before we buy a replacement in case it goes on sale (we have a specific model in mind).

Microwave, stovetop, or Griddler until then...

Last edited:
I got a question wrong on an exam because I must have moved my mouse when I clicked on the radio button for the multiple choice answer, and highlighted it instead of clicking it. Then, I missed it when I scrolled through to double check that I answered all 100 questions since the highlight was black, and checking the dot filled in the box with black.

jim-carrey-stupid-stupid.gif

Figured the ipad would be fully charged by now. it wasn’t. Turns out I ripped the cable out of the power brick earlier when I did a bit of unplanned furniture rearranging with haste.

The reason for that, you ask? I was dozing off in front of the tv when a mouse suddenly ran across my living room floor and disappeared under the couch. In my flat on the second floor. Stuff like that wakes you up.

It must have slipped into a bag that was outside all day yesterday. The offending rodent has by now been on a thorough inside tour of our town‘s waste water plant.

It hasn't rained much here over the last month or so, so everyone was like, we need rain. Today we are having a bit of a storm roll through and people are like, OMG, it is raining...

I am still firmly on the side of we still need more rain.

It hasn't rained much here over the last month or so, so everyone was like, we need rain. Today we are having a bit of a storm roll through and people are like, OMG, it is raining...

I am still firmly on the side of we still need more rain.
We're currently in a "worst drought in 1200 years" 'round these parts. It drizzled a couple days ago, and I saw someone on Next Door ask if this not-a-measurable-amount of rain meant that lawn watering restrictions might be loosened/lifted.

steve-harvey-o.gif

I am currently in Bergen. Rain is forecast for each day until we leave and beyond...

We have a new pallet stacker at work. It's the kind you walk behind but it's still self propelled. I learned today that when it decides it's out of electricity it throws an error on the display, engages the handbrake and refuses to move until you've put some more electrons back in. Even if it happens in the middle of the bloody yard far away from a power outlet.

And it did this while showing 50% or so on the guess-o-meter.