Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

It was mostly rhetorical. The negative of the 4080 is the huge power draw.
Still should be able to get a new generation card that delivers more bang per watt.

Will be interesting to seen if next gen can do 4k with a 200w card

I don't regret buying my 3080 when I did, it has been superb. The rest of this machine is almost 5 years old now and I'm thinking of building a new one this autumn/winter with an i7-12700KF and 64GB RAM, I wonder if I can get Forza to 120FPS consistently. The parts from this machine would trickle down to my server, which is struggling with some of the tasks I give it. The parts from that machine would go to replace the 12 year old Core 2 Duo machine my parents are using.*

Unrelated, I'm looking at a new backup disk to go in my off-site stash. I'm looking at 18TB so I can fit everything I currently have on two disks on that one, then one 8TB disk will have a duplicate of important data and the other will go in my server to increase capacity. I've been buying 8TB Toshiba N300s for years and they're great, the 18TB is understandably expensive.

I got an email from Ebuyer today advertising the 18TB Toshiba MG series, which is an enterprise class disk with a longer warranty but is 10% cheaper. Is there a catch? They're 3.5" both SATA disks, power consumption is within 0.02W and they're within 20MB/s transfer speeds.

MG Series:
https://www.ebuyer.com/1288032-toshiba-18tb-enterprise-hdd-mg-series-3-5-sata-7200rpm-mg09aca18te

N300:
https://www.ebuyer.com/1411356-toshiba-n300-18tb-3-5-sata-6gb-s-7200rpm-nas-hard-drive-hdwg51juzsva

Am I missing something or should I just take advantage of the deal?

*Just for funsies:

Here are the parts I ordered in January 2010 for the machine that was initially for my sister, but then got passed on to my parents when my sister got a laptop. I still use the Bluetooth dongle, otherwise it was very much a budget build. How it still works is beyond me.

ScanOrder2010.jpg

Last edited:
It feels like only 2-3 years ago when I built my computer, but when I looked up the benchmarks of my girlfriend's work laptop, an 11th gen with an A4000, and how my CPU and GPU were so much further down the list, I had to look up the date and saw it was almost 6 years ago.

It feels like only 2-3 years ago when I built my computer, but when I looked up the benchmarks of my girlfriend's work laptop, an 11th gen with an A4000, and how my CPU and GPU were so much further down the list, I had to look up the date and saw it was almost 6 years ago.
No kidding, the CPUmark score of my i7-8700K is just over a third of the i7-12700KF score and the i5-4690K in my server is less than half of the 8700K score.

Mine's a 6500k and a 1070, so mine was just more about my poor sense of the passage of time. 😅

It has been 5 years for me, and I have the itch to build a new one. I don't have any problems with my old system besides needing a new SSD/NVME , and a Steamdeck on the way.

I ordered the 18TB MG series disk, will see what it's like. I can't argue with the price for what it is.

I want to get that populated and then put an 8TB disk in the server pretty quickly, the Storage Space ain't too happy as one of the two 128GB cache SSDs has died. Once the 8TB is in I can get rid of those entirely as the whole setup will be fast enough to cope.

18TB backup disk fully populated, 128GB SSD replaced with a spare I had and one my backup 8TB disks moved into the server. It's a bit full now.

I also made a crappy video about something you won't be interested in, but my thumbnail might draw you. I'm really annoyed because I recorded better audio with my Yeti and PC but it has chunks of silence, no idea what happened.

View: https://youtu.be/xianXiABVR4

Mudge 🧙‍♂️

Whole board is bit of a basket case, would be great if someone who knew what they were doing and care about it, took over...

Twitter Whistleblower Documents​

Last edited:
Don't buy PNY products. I had a PNY Pro Elite external SSD die on me after 1 year of use, when I tried to claim warranty they said because the eBay seller wasn't an authorized seller and denied it. Even OCZ which back in the day is known for bad service allowed me to RMA the dead SSD. I should've gotten the Samsung T5 for a bit more. Learn from my mistake, avoid PNY.

Seen something similar about Amazon only honoring 2yrs of a manufacturer 5yr warranty on a HDD

The manufacturer's warranty should've been based on the date of manufacture, but they denied it for the reason of the eBay seller not being an authorized reseller. I'm sure they put something like that in the warranty fine print, but it's still a shady move by PNY because they know the product is less than 3 years old (the warranty period).

I've been watching antweight robots recently, seems like something I really should've got into.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2I2nnE7DhA
The radio gear and parts are cheap enough and the rest can be 3D printed. I have all of the tools and already have some ideas for bots.

Goddamnit. This is a 4K TV that still is 100% operational, and is only from 2015 and was near the top of the line when I bought it. WTF?!

View attachment 3566539

This is aggravating, but all is not lost. Get a Roku, or something similar to plug into an HDMI port and keep using the TV.