Rarely Sign

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
An idea suggested by @NecroJoe, a thread about rare or obscure road signs. I'll do the rare UK signs I can find and then it'll be interesting to see what other countries have.

This was the sign that started it, not sure if the German equivalent is rare but this has only been trialled in some areas of the UK, it's a pretty controversial idea. As you can see, it doesn't apply to a massive stretch of road either.
1660924631336.png

Next, this might be a surprise.
1660925068693.png

Stop signs are relatively rare here, junctions are much more like to have Give Way (yield) signs with double dotted lines on the road. You don't need to come to a complete stop at a Give Way.

1660925545226.png

Tanks! Understandably rare, because we don't get lots of tanks on our roads. I don't think it's based on a real tank, it looks a bit like a Churchill but not quite. Apparently people were stealing these signs last year, no idea why.

1660926068131.png

One of my favourite signs and this picture includes a Ka! Not a sign indicating the blue oval but one indicating a water crossing, obviously. Maybe more common than I think, there are quite a few in this part of the country including the famous Rufford ford. In the space year 2022 driving through rivers and streams seems a bit odd though.

1660926892725.png

Sometimes with the sign above, sometimes on steep hills. Maybe less relevant now than when drum brakes were common, I speak from experience as wet drums can have a mind of their own!

1660927359864.png

Tidal road, pretty self explanatory. Another thing that's still a bit surprising in the space year 2022. I'm glad someone put shorts on the man.

1660927474805.png

Sheep, lying on the road. Of course.

1660928192417.png

Apologies for the crappy image, I had to take this directly from Google Maps. I don't know what caused this but the Streetview image was apparently taken last September so it's still there. I drove past it a couple of years ago, I don't remember seeing though so must've been distracted...

1660926961240.png

Finally I had to include this one, as featured on TG.

Last edited:
There's that one black and yellow markings on white background sign that's really rare here, but quite common in Central Europe... I can't even remember what it means - something to do with right of way, I believe? I'll try and look for a picture. :lmao:

Edit - so I clicked on the Ringmeet 2022 picture thread after I wrote that and this thought immediately went through my mind: wouldn't it be neat to find a suitable picture here? And surely enough, I did! There's the little bugger to the left:

It helped jog my memory, it is quite often used in tandem with another sign:

znak.jpg

Last edited:
There's that one black and yellow markings on white background sign that's really rare here, but quite common in Central Europe... I can't even remember what it means - something to do with right of way, I believe? I'll try and look for a picture. :lmao:

Edit - so I clicked on the Ringmeet 2022 picture thread after I wrote that and this thought immediately went through my mind: wouldn't it be neat to find a suitable picture here? And surely enough, I did! There's the little bugger to the left:

It helped jog my memory, it is quite often used in tandem with another sign:

znak.jpg

I hate this sign, because they're seemingly random but with some critical thinking to it.

Yellow diamond means "if a car is at the intersection on your right, you must stop." They're usually accompanied by dotted white lines across the road the side road is. It's difficult for me to learn because I learned about major/minor roads and major roads just go, the guy on the side road has to wait for a gap.

Yellow diamond means "if a car is at the intersection on your right, you must stop." They're usually accompanied by dotted white lines across the road the side road is. It's difficult for me to learn because I learned about major/minor roads and major roads just go, the guy on the side road has to wait for a gap.
Not quite. The fried egg means your road has right of way for many intersections to come.

*The thick black bent line below* means the road this fried egg applies to turns right, so if you go straight you need to yield.
The fried egg is most common without any additional signs below, and accompanied by yield signs on the intersecting roads.

As for adding to the thread itself, seen yesterday:

PXL_20220819_144655012.jpg

"you may not pass bicycles", put up in a construction zone where bicycles are pushed from the cycle path onto the road, and it's not wide enough to safely pass but wide enough for people to try.

Today:
PXL_20220820_113548862.jpg

"Ducks!"

It's difficult for me to learn because I learned about major/minor roads and major roads just go, the guy on the side road has to wait for a gap.
Same here, I understand the sign but it doesn't exist here. While on the main road you may see this sign and the side roads will have give way
1661001119094.png

Unrelated but kind of, there can be issues with crossroads, I remember as a kid they offset a local one due to accidents.

Same here, I understand the sign but it doesn't exist here. While on the main road you may see this sign and the side roads will have give way
View attachment 3566366
Same thing exists here, applies to one intersection only. The fried egg applies until lifted, without the need to repeat at every intersection.

I don't think this is an official sign, it was in a residential cul-de-sac. Maybe someone had multiple cats injured by car drivers or something...
1661018282292.png

Haha, didn’t even see that!
I remember those signs over here as well… but somehow I feel I haven’t seen any of them in a while, maybe they’re dying out.

Haha, didn’t even see that!
I remember those signs over here as well… but somehow I feel I haven’t seen any of them in a while, maybe they’re dying out.
They still exist in front of some tunnels, pointing you at the frequency that would inform you about tunnel issues.

Does that mean Radio Scotland is available on either of those FM frequencies, or on that range of frequencies? :blink:
Kind of both. I believe that the exact frequency would depend on your location as certain transmitters broadcast on a different frequency. No idea why. BBC Radio 2 is advertised as "88 to 91FM" and works the same way.

DE86EABE-6D7B-4A76-B63E-BAB92A4EFAC1.jpeg

My grandpa used to have an 11mph sign on their farm's access road. People used to fly through there at 30 mph even with a 10mph sign, but once he switched it to a 11mpg sign, people thought it was funny and tried to game-ify their speed control, trying to drive at exactly 11mph. I think some Targets used to do this with 7½ MPH for the same reason: when quirky, people will pay more attention to it.

I dont have any access to photos of it, but when we used to raise bison, we had a bison-crossing sign which, while common in some parts of the country, were quite the novelty in Wisconsin and lots of people would stop and take photos with it.

photo_2022-08-20_16-53-09.jpg

I made this one (well, this is the file I made it from) to try and slow people down on our spectator entry road. It's gravel and the dust drifts right into the pits/on to the track. It's helping some, but not everyone pays attention to it.