I HATE EVs because...

Brake pads? Mine are at 60000km, and claim to have 40000-50000km life left :dunno:
In general, because EVs can use regen braking instead of the pads, all else being equal, brake pads on an EV will wear less.

In general, because EVs can use regen braking instead of the pads, all else being equal, brake pads on an EV will wear less.
I am aware. However, if mine last 100000km+, lasting even longer is nice but not really a big deal. Maaaayyyybe you'll get to one set of pads fewer over the life of the car.
Instead, EVs get "rusty brake disk" issues...

agreed, you upset the rental gods.

So I think that this is a security concept to prevent skimming. Idea being that there is a layer of the website to enter credit card information. Which once done does make it pretty slick use your phone to activate and pay.

Then as a back up to your phone you sometimes have a card which like an idiot I put in my glove compartment so if stolen they can recharge and drive farther.

You are correct they should have the option of credit cards on the terminal. That said I would probably say the membership value of using the phone would be how I ended up interacting with them regardless. Until a government universalizes the interface minimums... pile of cards.

View attachment 3566530

But gas cars have problems too 😂

View attachment 3566523

I don’t need to be taught how to refuel a gasoline or diesel car. I also don’t need special apps or fuel cards just to switch on the “fuel” nozzle. That’s the point I’m trying to make.

I’d like an electric car, but if this I the life I have to live, fuck that.

You can hold the cable while charging the car if that feels more familiar. :p

Don't forget to sing, "I'm a little teapot..."

4nBJXkxTjnY9WgsVArhPeedzm23NQvHMj3dfMpl2M0U.jpg

I don’t need to be taught how to refuel a gasoline or diesel car. I also don’t need special apps or fuel cards just to switch on the “fuel” nozzle. That’s the point I’m trying to make.

I’d like an electric car, but if this I the life I have to live, fuck that.

Needing an app needlessly complicates things in my opinion. You should be able to go up to the charger and use a credit card and plug it in.

ACSHULY there’s a rumor that with certain IONITY chargers in combination with e-tron :poop: you have to ever so slightly lift the cable towards the charge port during the handshake process otherwise it may fail… yeees, good shit from premium Audi and premium IONITY requiring obscure workaround hacks to make their infrastructure work.

having worked for a business that is both in part responsibor for the establishment of and continued use of rfid authentication at chargers, I do see the reason. It started out as a simple solution, then got adopted for stuff it was never intended for and very quickly became a gatekeeping mechanism to keep printing lots of moneyyyy. It’s utter garbage and needs to die asap. yes, just use credit cards and kill off the bloody nuisance that is the MSP (rfid card issuer & payments handler, not always an operator of chargers itself) that does nothing but add another layer of profit margins to the transact chain.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've read that with some chargers and cars you have to hold the cable a little to make it complete the handshake and to be able to lock it. I've never had that issue but it might be possible if the angle of the port makes a certain weight cable handle not lock properly.

Meanwhile, I've had so many failed CC payments with Finnish parking meters that the tags seem like a convenient feature to me...

Meanwhile, I've had so many failed CC payments with Finnish parking meters that the tags seem like a convenient feature to me...
oh sure, once you've waded the swamp of chosing the right card that works for the chargers you wanna use and are happy with the tariffs that they charge you, you're mostly in the clear. no doubt. and tbh the industry has gone to insane lengths to conceal the disadvantages of the bloody system as much as they can.... nowadays there's providers whose card as near as makes no difference works at every charger there is, so in effect, it's indistinguishable from a credit card (and which makes the bloody sixt experience all the more infuriating: just put a bloody enbw or newmotion/shell card in there and you'll be able to charge everywhere!), but the sheer amount of work that went into that (i remember the number of contracts we had to juggle... and that was 4 years ago!) is just insane, and will also need to be paid somehow.
as is well and proper for germany, we've gone and require CC terminals from 2023 onward (good, imo)... but overdone things and require an actual physical terminal (not just an NFC tag thing) with a keypad to put in your PIN. yup. that's not dumb at all or anything. right. :|

I asked some guy point blank recently: “Do you have facts or is this just you guessing?”
Rethorical, of course because i knew he was full of shit.

An older man going on about how the grid won’t hold up “when everyone’s fast charging at home” as if anyone actually has a fast charger at home. And I don’t think he was worried about the grid back when he was young and households started switching from fossil to electric heating and saunas.

I then said something along the lines of how some people seem to be deadly afraid the electric mafia will come and take their Volvo D5s away. His reply was “How did you know what i’m driving?” 🤣

The electric grid is one of those things that is never truly complete, like dishes or laundry. Once it is "complete", you have to go upgrade the equipment or do the maintenance to keep it functioning properly.

I asked some guy point blank recently: “Do you have facts or is this just you guessing?”
Rethorical, of course because i knew he was full of shit.

An older man going on about how the grid won’t hold up “when everyone’s fast charging at home” as if anyone actually has a fast charger at home. And I don’t think he was worried about the grid back when he was young and households started switching from fossil to electric heating and saunas.

I then said something along the lines of how some people seem to be deadly afraid the electric mafia will come and take their Volvo D5s away. His reply was “How did you know what i’m driving?” 🤣

A discussion on Facebook yesterday went along the lines of "can't drive an EV to my cottage because the hill is slippery and you'll bang the bottom on the icy road, plus you can't charge the car because you have to leave it so far from the house", ending with the (old) guy asking "can you even get studded tires on an electric car?"

Again, driving an electric car is the hardest for someone who doesn't drive one.

Just like people that have never used studless tires in their life seem to have had the worst experiences with them.

A discussion on Facebook yesterday went along the lines of "can't drive an EV to my cottage because the hill is slippery and you'll bang the bottom on the icy road, plus you can't charge the car because you have to leave it so far from the house", ending with the (old) guy asking "can you even get studded tires on an electric car?"

Again, driving an electric car is the hardest for someone who doesn't drive one.

Who knew the fuel type/motor type meant a type of tire was suddenly not allowed/won't fit. Where does this line of.... thinking..... even come from? Do these people think you have diesel tires and gasoline tires?

I guess it comes from the BMW I3 having a weird tire size, or the perception of EVs being these huge luxobarges with rubber bands on enormous wheels. The e-2008 takes 215/65R16 which is the stock Duster/Juke/Qashqai/XC70 size. My old Ioniq ran 205/60R16.

Calling it thinking is an insult to thinkers.
Yes, this is why it's between a long pause, because it's not really thinking in the traditional sense. Their brain is doing something, but not intelligently working