Energy production, storage, and future technologies

Biological battery

We replaced our roof i guess that's 3 years ago now, and kinda regret not adding solar while we has the easiest chance. We didn't think it wqs worth it since we have gas oven, water heater and clothes dryer...but since then, we are replacing our oven, our water heater is acting up, and our laundry machines are 12-year-old Samsung so we know we're basically living on borrowed time.

We replaced our roof i guess that's 3 years ago now, and kinda regret not adding solar while we has the easiest chance. We didn't think it wqs worth it since we have gas oven, water heater and clothes dryer...but since then, we are replacing our oven, our water heater is acting up, and our laundry machines are 12-year-old Samsung so we know we're basically living on borrowed time.

It's never too late. There are also some new government incentives coming.

Regarding wind turbines... which for this thread is sort of "old tech" I guess, I just stumbled across a publication by vestas about their new 15 MW (!) prototype:
- 280m tall
- 115m blades
- up to 60% capacity factor
o_O insane. the sheer size really is mindboggling, if you actually have people as a reference...
1661325727741.png
1661325768788.png

Frankly, I'm shocked we haven't been doing this for years.

I know India has some canals covered this way. Now we need to do it in all of the Western states that have similar canals.

Tbh that goes for nearly all of the renewable stuff :| it all just feels half-assed at best until now…
Ffs I work at a municipal utility and our roofs* don’t have any solar on them at all!

* that’s at least 4000 m2 of suitable (meaning no stuff in the way, good orientation) roofspace!

Just a tweak to wind farms for more powah!

I'm honestly surprised the US dropped that much, especially with our former President's stated goal of returning to coal power.

He may have regularly pushed it through a megaphone, but enacted little policy that was enough of an incentive to actually improve the conditions for it. In many places, adding renewables was more cost-effective long-tern than new coal facilities, or even keeping some existing ones open.

I'm honestly surprised the US dropped that much, especially with our former President's stated goal of returning to coal power.
Natural gas has mostly replaced coal. It's cheaper and easier to get out of the ground, and it can be brought to its destination via pipeline.

There are problems with natural gas, not least of which is that it is, in the short-term, worse than CO2 when it comes to warming our planet.

Natural gas has mostly replaced coal. It's cheaper and easier to get out of the ground, and it can be brought to its destination via pipeline.

There are problems with natural gas, not least of which is that it is, in the short-term, worse than CO2 when it comes to warming our planet.
Russia is burning off all the natural gas it can't sell!

Yeah, because you can't just stop getting it out of the ground.
From the environmental point of view, not much changes compared with Western Europe burning it.
We're substituting coal for gas, which could easily be not-mined.

We're substituting coal for gas, which could easily be not-mined.

Centralia, Pennsylvania must have peered into the future to see this comment. The coal vein there has been on fire for something like six decades.

The Supply Chain to Beat Climate Change Is Already Being Built​

Look at the numbers. The huge increases in fossil fuel prices this year hide the fact that the solar industry is winning the energy transition.
European natural gas is nearly 18 times as expensive as it was at the same point in 2019, supposedly proving that nothing will be able to slake the unquenchable thirst for hydrocarbons. Meanwhile, lithium carbonate is about 4.6 times as costly, which is taken to prove the opposite lesson: that lithium-ion batteries are too dear to support the world’s energy needs.
Still, the likeliest outcome of the current rush of capacity building will be plummeting prices for solar’s most important raw material — and cost has always been this technology’s greatest advantage.

Prices of energy commodities have been rising across the board.jpg

growth rate of solar installations.jpg

Planned growth in polysilicon capacity far exceeds forecast growth in solar.jpg

solar supply chain is already shaping up for net zero.jpg