Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I switched from a small, shitty WiFi adapter to a 10m Ethernet cable recently, in an attempt to get decent download speeds. While the solution was successful initially, after a relatively short amount of time, I encountered some problems.

Whenever I wake the computer up from sleep, internet gets really slow. I've tried resetting the router, disabling sleep for the computer's Ethernet adapter, even reorienting the cable. I think I tired all the basic tricks in the book. The only thing that works, and I'm not even sure that works every single time, is physically unplugging the cable from the PC and plugging it back in.

Any ideas what could be causing this strange behavior?

On the first "gaming" PC I ever built, I think I spent close to $60 on RGB accessories...cold cathode tubes, clear LED-lit fans AND clear LED-lit fan grills, a ridiculous Zalman CPU cooler...granted, none of these were "RGB"...each one would have just been R, G or B, and I, of course, had some of each.

But I've done all the weird stuff too like a RGB pc with red and blue fans and green ccfl's. Or UV lights and uv-reactive acrylic fan guards and case windows. Even engraving my home made acrylic windows, doing themed case-mods, ...

Oh yeah, my first self-built machine had the same deal, silver iCute case with clear/blue LED fans, acrylic window, CCFL blacklight and Akasa UV reactive IDE cables. :LOL:

1663066137172.png

Also had (still have in the box) this ASUS cooler with blue LEDs to match the rest:

1663066568793.png

Whenever I wake the computer up from sleep, internet gets really slow. I've tried resetting the router, disabling sleep for the computer's Ethernet adapter, even reorienting the cable. I think I tired all the basic tricks in the book. The only thing that works, and I'm not even sure that works every single time, is physically unplugging the cable from the PC and plugging it back in.
Honestly I'd say stop using sleep. For a home machine with modern Windows, off a domain network, I don't believe it has many advantages.

If this is still the Dell Precision, we have plenty of Dell machines with wonky Ethernet adapters, we now plug in Wi-Fi adapters but would previously install one of the many PCI Ethernet cards. USB ethernet adapters work fine too. Possibly not the answer you wanted, sorry. Updating drivers is always a good idea, you can of course just go on the Dell site to download an individual driver or go through Intel.

On the first "gaming" PC I ever built, I think I spent close to $60 on RGB accessories...cold cathode tubes, clear LED-lit fans AND clear LED-lit fan grills, a ridiculous Zalman CPU cooler...granted, none of these were "RGB"...each one would have just been R, G or B, and I, of course, had some of each.

But the kicker? I had all solid steel panels. So the only light I ever saw was the flashing/flickering that leaked out at the joints/seams and between the covers for the unused 5-1/2" drive bay slots, and the flickering red lights that shone out the back of the case, making it look like the wall behind my PC was on fire. 😅

Was the Zalman cooler one of the flower series? Have I mentioned that copper is sexy? I always wanted one, but I could never justify the cost.

My first computer build had a bit of bling. The pretty blue case had a side window, the fans had blue LEDs, and the modular power supply had UV reactive cables. Later I added a UV light to make it pop.

Honestly I'd say stop using sleep. For a home machine with modern Windows, off a domain network, I don't believe it has many advantages.

If this is still the Dell Precision, we have plenty of Dell machines with wonky Ethernet adapters, we now plug in Wi-Fi adapters but would previously install one of the many PCI Ethernet cards. USB ethernet adapters work fine too. Possibly not the answer you wanted, sorry. Updating drivers is always a good idea, you can of course just go on the Dell site to download an individual driver or go through Intel.

Now it happened after a fresh start, I'll definitely update the drivers and see if the problem persists. Yeah, it's still the Dell Precision.

Was the Zalman cooler one of the flower series? Have I mentioned that copper is sexy? I always wanted one, but I could never justify the cost.

The one I had was a lot like this one, copper racing stripe and all. I think mine was smaller, but for sure had *way* lower fin density.

Z20-1014-a.jpg

Lindsey Graham promised he is working with Elizabeth Warren to draft legislation to make sure Mudge's testimony isn't in vain.

Twitter Whistleblower Testifies on Security Issues​

Peiter “Mudge” Zatko, a former Twitter security executive, testified on privacy and security issues relating to the social media company before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

View: https://youtu.be/MYm7ybQa-D0

Last edited:
End of an era. EVGA had some of the best support I've ever seen. Back when I had a GTX 770, they sent me new screws out of warranty, without any questions. My experience with ASUS support, who makes my current RTX 2070s, has been less than stellar.
My experiences with MSI and Gigabyte have also been "LTS". EVGA sent me a PSU cable without me even having to provide a serial number. I asked a question and I included the model number. They responded by asking for my address, and about a week later the cable I needed showed up.

My *hope* is that they switch to AMD, but according to both of those videos which included direct first-party answers from Nvidia, is that they do not desire to be in the GPU industry any more. While it was 80% of their revenue, it was a sliver of their margin.

Well, looks like NVIDIA shot themselves in the food, so good on them.

NVIDIA shot themselves in the food
QFT, spotted the phone user, etc. :p

My last cards (GTX 1080Ti,RTX 3080) have been ASUS Strix, I can't comment on the support as there have been no issues.

The last desktop I owned with more than a discrete GPU had a Radeon HD5850, so I can't say much about GPU manufacturers support :ROFLMAO: . I've build my current desktop about 1,5years ago when GPU prices were still mad, so I quickly decided I could live with an iGPU. I did however make sure my mainboard and PSU still kept the option open. Maybe with the current prices both new and used I can start considering buying a GPU.

Coming back to the laptop manufacturer annoyances: I ended up buying a MSI Alpha 15 laptop with 50% chance of it being the right type of screen and got lucky. Also the RGB isn't to flashy, limited to only the keyboard and it can be turned of with the push of a button, but after changing the LED's to white I must say I do like the backlit keyboard.
And with a 5800H and RX6600M it should effortlessly do the required tasks.

The last desktop I owned with more than a discrete GPU had a Radeon HD5850, so I can't say much about GPU manufacturers support :ROFLMAO: . I've build my current desktop about 1,5years ago when GPU prices were still mad, so I quickly decided I could live with an iGPU. I did however make sure my mainboard and PSU still kept the option open. Maybe with the current prices both new and used I can start considering buying a GPU.

Coming back to the laptop manufacturer annoyances: I ended up buying a MSI Alpha 15 laptop with 50% chance of it being the right type of screen and got lucky. Also the RGB isn't to flashy, limited to only the keyboard and it can be turned of with the push of a button, but after changing the LED's to white I must say I do like the backlit keyboard.
And with a 5800H and RX6600M it should effortlessly do the required tasks.

Yeah, once I had a laptop with a Backlot keyboard (where the letters lit up, not just the border), that became one deal-breaker, must-have spec.

My 9year old came home saying he wanted a chromebook 'cause they use them at school and he prefers it over the old laptop the kids get to use here (a 9year old Packard Bell running linux Mint 'cause it just isn't capable of running any recent version of Windows). So I went for the even cheaper solution: installed Chrome OS flex on the thing telling him it is now officially a Chromebook :ROFLMAO:.

Maybe I should get a sticker with the chrome logo as a finishing touch:unsure:.

4th pic would be even better with jensen huangs trademark leather jacket, no? :p
already said to a friend of mine who sent me that, that the pic would work perfectly fine for apple watch ultra as well imo.

I haven't used desktop Linux in a long time, but back in the day they used to tout whatever was the newest and most policed desktop interface available at the time, and invariably you ended up in a dead-end where the GUI couldn't do what you needed it to do, like install a printer. Out comes Google and a terminal window, a bunch of .tar.gz files and so forth.

I feel like this is Windows in 2022. The other day I tried to add a network printer to Windows 11.The OS couldn't find a driver so it just went 🤷‍♂️ and kind of left the printer half installed. It was in the list but without any settings or uninstall option. I had to dig deeper until I found the Windows 2000 era GUI, you know the style where everything looked like icons in a file manager. This allowed me to just delete the printer. I had a similar issue trying to set a static IP to windows 10. The GUI kept flaking out, so I had to dig deeper until I found Windows 2000 under all the modern stuff.

I flipping hate windows 11. I'll admit that it doesn't help that I'm the type of person who doesn't like things being changed solely for the sake of change or for esthetics. But Windows 11 is a good reminder why I pretty much skipped Windows 8.
They wanted tot change so much that didn't really work with there prehistoric kernel every Windows is still pretty much based on that it sometimes feels as 2 different OS's or yeah you could say 2 different GUI's in one OS. One for the fancy looking stuff they think isn't to complicated for the average user and one for all the rest.
And the things they didn't hide behind some hard to find interface, they made unnecessary difficult, hard or tedious.
Try changing your prefered browser for example: you need to separately change it for every web/internet related file extension.

It managed to brake itself so often I'm really starting to hate it.

Try changing your prefered browser for example: you need to separately change it for every web/internet related file extension.

Is this that thing they updated back in spring to be much much easier? Or is that something else? I thought I remembered them putting out an update that made this much easier. I'm still on 10, though.

Last edited:
It was on insider then, I think they rolled it out massively in 22H2, which cripples nVidia drivers. (EDIT: They're rolling out fixes for that.)

Windows desperately needs a rewrite, especially with how they are flatlining on ARM devices atm. I shouldn't be able to reach a windows NT menu in about five clicks anymore. And the only reason it takes me five on 11 is because they buried some settings that were previously one right-click away.

The thing that annoys me the most is the start menu honestly. The best way I can describe it is "Bright eyed, bushy tailed Indian UX developers thought "WHAT IF MACOS, BUT GNOME!?"" I have indeed purchased stardock's excellent Start11 to fix that issue. However, it's a bit too late to save it from Wintendo duty.

This post was brought to you through MacOS.