Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

One of the last updates Win11 installed somehow removed parts of microsoft visual C++. Couldn't uninstall it because windows didn't think it was installed and couldn't install it either because when trying to install windows thought it was already installed. Luckily microsoft was smart enough to add a "repair" option in the installation wizard.

Don't get me started with Windows Installer shit. I got sent a message today by someone who downloaded and installed an MSI application, which they shouldn't be able to do.

Seems like the application was made by the lowest bidder because it can only be uninstalled using the same account that installed it, ignores standard command parameters like TARGETDIR and even ignores the folder selection in the UI, instead it will place the files in the systemprofile folder that users can't access and even if the folder is set to Program Files it will completely fail to create any shortcuts. What kind of hot turd is that?

Oh yeah, it also doesn't register itself in add/remove programs properly if run as system. Jesus.

So, uh, 95°C... That is 203°Fs. Hot hot hot.

This might allow me to make a really cool custom PC because of the excess heat.

I've considered putting a hole in the wall before to vent the heat outside, like a shower vent. Some of our work offices have portable server cabs with built-in fans and the option for vent hoses.

95C sounds way too hot for a PC though, where did that number come from? The extra heat is one of my few concerns about building a new machine with a 12th gen. i7 or i9.

95C sounds way too hot for a PC though, where did that number come from?

Gamers Nexus and one other, can't remember who...I think it was Jay 2 Cents, tested them, and they basically pegged to that temp under moderate load, even when under-volted a bit.

Gamers Nexus and one other, can't remember who...I think it was Jay 2 Cents, tested them, and they basically pegged to that temp under moderate load, even when under-volted a bit.
Gotcha, I see it now. I haven't watched the recent GN AMD videos, but wow.

This is a pretty weird question but I thought I try it here. I'm trying to play Gran Turismo 4 PAL version on PCSX2, I remember finding a 44A61C8F.pnach file that contains the widescreen hack a long time ago, however, I lost that file and can't find it anymore. All the 44A61C8F.pnach file that I can find now do not have a widescreen hack. If anyone still have that from way back when, please share the file. Thanks.

To be frank, the simple fact that it’s a Meta product makes it a no go for me. Even if it were the best and cheapest option, still no.

To be frank, the simple fact that it’s a Meta product makes it a no go for me. Even if it were the best and cheapest option, still no.
I get it. I've used a friend's Quest 2, though, and it's addicting. The best of the few VR experiences I've had. That was a steal at $300 before the price bump.

Yeah even us Apple users have to draw a line somewhere. 😀

The only VR experience I'm still interested in is Star Citizen, I just can't see the game ever getting that far now.

New thing: what is with the insane power draw that especially intel and nvidia are now giving their chips? like they're trying to get the last possible bit of performance out of their chips, but energy efficiency be damned. last example: nvidias new 4090.

a german tech site made a comparison* across ~20 games regarding performance at 450 (the official TDP), 350 and 300 W - and the bloody stupid thing is being run FAR above it's sweetspot. honestly: anyone who runs this thing at the stock TDP is a bloody moron.
1665573774490.png

[numbers are normalized across those ~20 games and expressed as % of max - i.e. those 99,9 should be 100%]
How is it acceptable for this product to deliver a measly 3% performance increase for a whopping 30% increase in power draw? it's so bloody stupid, it's beyond belief. even worse is the fact, that even without manually lowering the TDP, this card is still by far the best performance per watt - they could've built an absolute efficiency juggernaut, but no.

this kinda shit makes me all sorts of mad. it's not only the increased energy consumption that people have to pay (not an argument with a 2000€ GPU to be fair), but it just makes the entire system larger than it needs to be, louder than it needs to be and leads to a bunch of other issues down the line (like a bunch of the new 12pin power connectors just MELTING if put under any sideways stress at all, like from closing the lid of your case maybe????). ugh.

* link for anyone curious, all german though: https://www.computerbase.de/2022-10/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-review-test/