Ownership Verified: NooDle’s EV take 2 : The Mullet (Kia EV6)

Moar nerdy numbers, especially for @gaasc since I did a similar test with my eGolf ages ago : heater efficiency/consumption when starting from very cold.
Since my car has this weird screen that shows consumption and what's using it (and because I had forgotten to turn on the scheduling that defrosts the car automagically at the time of my choosing), I was sat in a completely frozen car (temps just dipped into the negatives yesterday), looking at some numbers on my dash. All in all quite interesting :

IMG_1710.JPG

After a couple of kms of stop/go traffic with everything on (heater/heatpump, heated seats, heated steering wheel, window defrost, mirror defrost) the consumption settled around 4 kw. Which actually sounds reasonable. The Golf (sans heatpump) used around 6kw in proper cold weather.

Of course since this meant the combination of using a LOT of electricity but not covering many miles (due to traffic, traffic lights, a railroad crossing) this meant a ridiculous consumption figure :

IMG_1712.JPG

As you can see my guessometer knows this is bullshit and it only dropped from 390ish kms to 370ish, as it knows/assumes I won't be needing full heating at all times. Had it done that, my range would have dropped to about 140 kms (77 kwh battery / 55 kwh consumption). (FYI I actually gained range back on the way back, since it head heated up to 15ish degrees)

After a while the rear window and mirrors were completely clear so I turned those off

IMG_1713.JPG

Still 2kw, which is mainly the heatpump I guess? I was curious to see what would happen if I turned off the buttheaters / steering wheel heaters, so I did that next

IMG_1714.JPG

In conclusion : the heater, once the interior has fully warmed up, hardly uses anything at all. After my commute my consumption turned out to be on the high side but still nowhere near the 55 kwh it originally guessed. Total range dropped from 390 to 367, which is fair IMHO

IMG_1715.JPG

Bonus : I wanted to plug in at work just to see what I would get, but didn't after seeing how little the next to me was getting :

IMG_1716.JPG

Bonus : I wanted to plug in at work just to see what I would get, but didn't after seeing how little the next to me was getting :
Ooof. 6A @ 1phase 230V = 1.4 kW... yeah, that's the minimum the bloody thing can provide without shutting off entirely. also: alfen. good chargers those. very nice :) oh also: mobilityplus operates/services those? nice people also, at least from the short experience I had arranging roaming stuff with them a few years ago :)

also: kudos on the heating nerdery

Ooof. 6A @ 1phase 230V = 1.4 kW... yeah, that's the minimum the bloody thing can provide without shutting off entirely. also: alfen. good chargers those. very nice :) oh also: mobilityplus operates/services those? nice people also, at least from the short experience I had arranging roaming stuff with them a few years ago :)

also: kudos on the heating nerdery
I get Mobility+ with my ADAC and I pay for Ionity as superchargers are asspensive now!

I get Mobility+ with my ADAC and I pay for Ionity as superchargers are asspensive now!
two different confusingly named mobility+ there... there's the belgian mobilityplus.be and then there's the EnBW Mobility+, which is what the ADAC offering is based on.
Also: ionity is also asspensive unless your payment provider (here: EnBW) is willing to insanely subsidize your charging... :|

Yeah we get an entirely different MobilityPlus here, they have a decent network but their pricing is just weird/a total ripoff.
They charger a fee per 15 minutes on top of the cost of electricity. So let's say you have a PHEV and need do charge. It will take almost an entire day (since the charge speed is so slow) and because you're being billed by time, this ends up costing you around 20€ for 8 hours. And that's on top of the parking fee for, you know, parking. So I tend to avoid those.

Charging prices are on the rise here too (as I guess everywhere else). Allego went to 0,70€ for AC charging which is nothing short of highway robbery. Ionity is on 0,83€ and Fastned has just dropped prices to 0,74€/kwh. Which means a 350 kw fastcharger is almost the same price as an Allego 11 kw charge. Madness I say!

two different confusingly named mobility+ there... there's the belgian mobilityplus.be and then there's the EnBW Mobility+, which is what the ADAC offering is based on.
Also: ionity is also asspensive unless your payment provider (here: EnBW) is willing to insanely subsidize your charging... :|
I pay the €17 a month and it makes the per unit price €0,36 ish - Superchargers are around €0,70 now and without the €17 a month Ionity is €0,78. For me it was a no-brainer, one charge a month and I already save the Ionity fee.

I pay the €17 a month and it makes the per unit price €0,36 ish - Superchargers are around €0,70 now and without the €17 a month Ionity is €0,78. For me it was a no-brainer, one charge a month and I already save the Ionity fee.
Oh for sure, if you charge there regularly enough to warrant the subscription then it's fine...

somehow my usage profile seems to be a bit weird, i guess, because i probably do 99% (probably not even exaggerated...) of my charging at work and basically never use fast chargers ever unless going on holiday somewhere (which hasn't happened in ages, but that's a different story). that's why i never even remember there is such a thing as a "power user subscription" anymore :p

Oh for sure, if you charge there regularly enough to warrant the subscription then it's fine...

somehow my usage profile seems to be a bit weird, i guess, because i probably do 99% (probably not even exaggerated...) of my charging at work and basically never use fast chargers ever unless going on holiday somewhere (which hasn't happened in ages, but that's a different story). that's why i never even remember there is such a thing as a "power user subscription" anymore :p

I started charging at home since I moved, but before then I was using ionity a lot - When I travel I will use ionity unless there is no other option than supercharger, also the nearest fast charger to me is Ionity :)

Interesting! Aside from the 'because I'm here anyway, and I can' argument, why 99% at the office? I couldn't manage that probably, because I do drive a lot on weekends and also my office is located quite far away from where I live. Also, as already proven, charge speed is shit.
If I didn't have a home charger I'd probably default to the nearest public charger (it's like a 10 minute walk).
And yeah, a public charger is probably the same price as home and quicker, but just walking out the door and having a full car is super convenient, even a 10 min walk would piss me off I had to do it twice every day....

Fastchargers are fun and all, but I rarely use them because there's simply no need. I did visit Amsterdam twice and I did need a 10min stop because it was *just* too much to do on one charge, but aside from that....
It's cool and all, watching the speed ramp up to ridiculous numbers, but I've never used it enough to warrant a subscription.

Aside from the 'because I'm here anyway, and I can' argument, why 99% at the office?
Basically that coupled with the fact that we still live in a rental unit without private charging (only two more weeks!) and the fact that I don't do a lot of driving at all aside from commuting to/form the office... on the rare occasion that we do, it's basically never more than one trip between office days for me and those are basically always within range to get me back to the office (60 km one way) the next time i have to go. If somehow it is indeed necessary for me to charge somewhere else than the office, i usually visit a public charger that's a 10 min walk away and that is still, to this day, free of charge (weird, they even retrofitted the bloody correct meters to comply with german EICHRECHT!!!). also, since our infrastructure at work is ridiculously overdone (both in terms of number of chargers and available grid connection - we are the local utility after all...), I always get 11 kW (after the bloody dumb power management gets its act together in the first few minutes), i.e. the car is usually back to it's 80% standard target SOC in half a working day or less.

Last edited:
Basically that coupled with the fact that we still live in a rental unit without private charging (only two more weeks!) and the fact that I don't do a lot of driving at all aside from commuting to/form the office... on the rare occasion that we do, it's basically never more than one trip between office days for me and those are basically always within range to get me back to the office (60 km one way) the next time i have to go. If somehow it is indeed necessary for me to charge somewhere else than the office, i usually visit a public charger that's a 10 min walk away and that is still, to this day, free of charge (weird, they even retrofitted the bloody correct meters to comply with german EICHRECHT!!!). also, since our infrastructure at work is ridiculously overdone (both in terms of number of chargers and available grid connection - we are the local utility after all...), I always get 11 kW (after the bloody dumb power management gets its act together in the first few minutes), i.e. the car is usually back to it's 80% standard target SOC in half a working day or less.
Sweet! I've actually never seen a completely free charger, except those at Lidl.
Since people are now basically camping at those because free, they've turned them down from 50 to 20 kw, making them not really an option anymore.

I've actually never seen a completely free charger
Yeah that’s just cologne things 🙈 as stated, they even went to the trouble of retrofitting the chargers (bloody expensive) so they could legally charge per kWh… but it seems they just forgot or something. Par for the course, really…
The other free charger nearby used to be an old Aldi station from efacec. 20 kW with chademo curt off and the DC unit broken anyway (so basically only AC). Very much useless and always blocked the entire day by someone working in the nearby business park… very happy to see Aldi put hyperchargers everywhere and charging for them.

Lots of chargers around where I live used to be free, but switched to paid now. Imho it's kinda better this way - availability has improved massively, since people with home chargers don't camp the free Level 2s anymore to leave their cars overnight like they used to.

Aldi is awesome here, too. They are installing 150kW Hyperchargers, which are nice and reliable, and price at 39c/kWh which is pretty much the cheapest DC you can get in Germany at the moment. I have one a few blocks from home, and it's quickly climbing the ranks of "most charged at" stats in my Teslamate logs :)

Annoyingly, now that the two free changers at the local grocery store switched to "paid", and it's no longer occupied by people just sitting in the two closest spots to the store's front door while watching TV on their phones, they no longer show up in Volta's app as "occupied", and one of the two is always out of order anyway (has been for months).

Last edited:
TIL : Mrs Noodle used the EV6 yesterday and she absolutely hates all kinds of driver aids, so she drives with them turned off.
This includes cruise control, which means she drives 145ish kph nonstop on the highway.
Despite this and it only being 5° outside, consumption is at an acceptable 23 kwh/100 km.
This gives me an expected range of around 340 kms in real world worst case scenario, even if you drive like a see you next tuesday...
Unteresting!

Still no proof pic yet because I’m a lazy arse. But I do have a new home charger installed!

630a6de91dd53596b27da7f2a55eeefa.jpg

Which gives me a maximum of 7,4 kw instead of 3,6. Which cuts charging time in half. Which is nice

32a5246533fe013f87ede9a4032846a0.jpg
Which at-home charger did you end up going with? My buddy just picked up a 2023 RWD Wind yesterday at my bad influence (he was looking for one, I'm just the friend who found his exact model/color on a lot 10 minutes away from me) and is obviously going to look at at-home level 2 chargers soon.

Which at-home charger did you end up going with?
That very much looks like the hardware by former NewMotion, now called Shell Recharge. I don't know whether they even do direct sales to end customers anymore, or whether they only go through partners nowadays. Their website is a bit of a cluttered mess...

^ yes, entirely correct. I'm sure they sell them through resellers in Germany (because I work for Shell Recharge selling these in Belgium :))
Works great, but doesn't have the option of using solar panels exclusively which some competitors do....
I don't care since I don't have solar panels, and even if I did, I would prefer a fully charged car despite bad weather

IMG_1800.JPG

Not having the best of luck lately, a delivery van reversed at some speed into my parked car....
rear panel is fucked I think, a lot of bodywork hanging off and touching the wheel.... No bueno.
Bollocks.
Yeah sure, it's only metal and no one was hurt, but now I have to do the whole faffing around with insurance, lease company, replacement car, etc...