The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

Maybe, but there was already a lot of people who hated Teslas and their drivers before Musk became a Q-idiot.

Tesla drivers interviewed by the Guardian say they have experienced anti-Tesla sentiment, but mostly from those who hate electric vehicles rather than Musk specifically
I agree with their findings rather than the misleading headline. EV drivers get hate from people who are very anti other propulsion. The actual animosity for Tesla because of Musk lives in a twitter world which is maybe a tiny sliver of reality.

I think it's less about EV hate and more about how many Tesla drivers seem to drive on the road.

I can't imagine Musk-related rage is anything more than the tiniest, most insignificant sliver of the general EV hate and bullying.

I don't know if it exist. I do know there exist shareholders of Tesla who want a major refresh.

I dunno if this is a US only thing but I haven't seen any Tesla hate here, except when they drive like a total asshat (but that's the same case if it's a BMW or an Audi).
Also also, yes, Elon is a douche, and yes, he is probably ruining Twitter, and some of his ideas are dubious at best, but I don't see why this means Tesla's are suddenly crap?
The whole 'I'm better than you because I have a Tesla" thing bugs me, but I still kinda want one....

Would Elon fans suddenly sell their Tesla's if he were to resign as CEO from Tesla? Are they really that big of a fanboy?

I think it's more about not wanting to support Elon or his companies because he's out there spreading dangerous misinformation and conspiracy theories.

Absolutely, because of his recent activities, I wouldn't buy a Tesla until he's removed from power there.
That may happen if he doesn't leave Twitter alone and allow someone else to run it. The shareholders at Tesla are pissed as hell and demanding he step down at Twitter or be removed as CEO of Tesla. Even if he's not in charge at Tesla, he's still a major shareholder and buying Tesla cars still helps give Musk a platform for his crazy bullshit.

Screenshot 2022-12-27 091035.png

Can't imagine why shareholders are pissed off.

Beyond that, Teslas are just shit cars. Sure, the Plaid is fast, but the build quality is horrible. I think Tesla ranked dead last in quality this year. JD Power can't even rank Tesla because the company won't share any data about service calls/trips; Consumer Reports surveys owners directly and Tesla was one of the worst car companies - and that was after they had improved from previous years.

The best thing for Tesla to do at this point is sell their powertrains to other companies and give up on any kind of coachbuilding. Once other companies have transitioned to a decently sized EV fleet, there won't be anyone to buy Tesla carbon credits, which is the main source of income right now.

Last edited:
Absolutely, because of his recent activities, I wouldn't buy a Tesla until he's removed from power there.
This makes no sense. Yes, he does make all the big decisions about where the company is going, but he's not micromanaging stuff like 'yes this sort of interior is fine for 100k' or '2 inch panel gaps are ok, just ship it'
I think it's more about not wanting to support Elon or his companies because he's out there spreading dangerous misinformation and conspiracy theories.
I kinda get that, but that's not really up to the buyers, he has more than enough money to continue to do that. Even if nobody buys a Tesla for an entire year, that will not stop him.
I get the whole 'I hate the guy running it but I kinda want the product' thing but in the end, do we as a consumer really have that power?
I remember from a few years ago with the whole dieselgate thing I heard a lot of people go "I'll never buy a VW again since they're all liars" and then quietly VW/Audi kept topping the sales charts here anyways...

It's also about one's own morality, if they find Musk abhorrent it's kind of hypocritical to continue to do business with him. It's not about making a dent in Musk's wealth, it's about being able to look in the mirror.

Yeah, when we had those few really cold (central European really cold... so -10°C) days I even managed to arrive home after a 45 min drive with the rear door handles frozen (slightly). And no, I won't accept the usually proposed "solution" of "pre-heat your car then!", because that uses up a huge bunch of energy unecessarily, since you have to do it at least 30 min before setting off, for it to have any effect on the door handles (while windows etc. are usually ice free after 5min).
The request to open doors from the app has been voiced for years now, and always been ignored. I don't get it... but at least it would be a simple and usable solution for a problem that should never have existed in the first place :james:

To be fair this isn't the first time a car manufacturer does stuff that isn't really suitable for winter. I'm not terribly convinced about frameless windows either and that's not a new thing. I'm sure E36 and Subaru owners will tell you it works fine, but having a window automatically move down half an inch when you grab the door handle isn't my idea of good winter design. You're supposed to be able to grab the door handle and rip the door open using brute force when it's frozen all the way round.

My parents had a dutch designed Volvo 460 back when I was in my teens. Melting snow always got into the door handles (the normal grab and pull type) and froze them solid. The swedish-designed 850 has similar door handles but they never freeze. No guesses as to which Volvo division did better winter testing.

I'm not terribly convinced about frameless windows either and that's not a new thing.
See for those, Tesla actually went and did a software thing, where they actually roll down nearly a full cm or so, if you park the car in "probably freezing" temperatures... so at least the window will clear the trim piece if you do manage to somehow yank the door open. Which you won't. Because the handles are frozen. :|
Makes it all the more strange they haven't put remote door openers into the app... there's no physical anything attached to the door handles anyway, so it should (what do I really know) be entirely possible!
There’s even the right page in the app already and everything, it’s literally missing 1-4 buttons (technically drivers door would suffice, but why stop there).

309EC2BB-2327-4E0F-8DBA-8193ABDC3A3F.jpeg

It may be a security issue. It would probably be too easy to steal the car with the remote opening.

Speaking of which, I’m not sure why we need electronic door poppers when the manual door handle has been perfected and everyone knows how it works. And I like things like electric tailgate and electric everything else for that matter.

Just the other day I had a friend try to manually grab and pull to close my tailgate on the Passat because they weren’t familiar with electric tailgates. At least VW engineers have figured out to make it start closing when someone does that, unlike the electric/hydraulic tailgate on the Insignia I had where it just wouldn’t move. Unless you used force.

It may be a security issue. It would probably be too easy to steal the car with the remote opening.
on that app page there's both a button to unlock the car (so actually opening the door is just one step further) and even a button to "remote start" and allow basically anyone who hasn't got key or app access to drive the car away. so... that can't be it :D

Speaking of which, I’m not sure why we need electronic door poppers when the manual door handle has been perfected and everyone knows how it works.
yeah I never understood that either... especially since there is a mechanical release for emergency / no power situations, which incidentally they managed to place so badly that people unfamiliar with the car constantly reach for that first, before using the actual friggin BUTTON on the inside. the whole door handle situation is a hot mess, let's agree on that :p

re electric tailgate etc: can't comment, my car doesn't have that... which makes the button in the app to open the trunk a bit weird, no? because it'll just plop open and then hang there, 1 cm up... you still have to physically push it up, so why have that button the app anyway? doesn't help if your hands are full or anything. to be fair I don't know whether the app had those features when they were delivering cars without motorized trunk lids, so maybe they just put the button in there for everyone because they couldn't be arsed to distinguish which cars actually had the motor and which didn't. i'd even fully expect them to not actually know that for cars from a certain date range...

The lack of regular door handles, inside and out, was always a turn off for me. In an emergency, you can't expect a random stranger to be able to figure out how to get in to save someone, or to expect someone that is injured to fumble for the hidden interior bypass.