The "Things that annoy me" thread

To be fair, that's the only reason I can think of but it would be very difficult to prove before the panels were installed. Nobody should have a PV panel reflecting light into their house. Of course, in an ideal world a PV panel wouldn't reflect light because that's wastage.

D0gTYBDV4AAB3QN.jpg

I'm all for this idea in empty areas of the world that are known for lots of sun. These are obviously mirrors rather than PV panels, which makes sense as mirrors are easier to make without rare materials. You couldn't live near this though.

Uh, why can't you live near this?

As you point out, they are just mirrors that reflect sunlight. You are far enough away from the tower that contains all of the potential danger. I understand that power towers like this tend to be built in a desert and you may not want to live there.

Oh no! There's a light flurry of snow on the ground! It's the snowpocalypse! Shut everything down! Stop driving now! Chaos! Murder! Mayhem! Start panicking! Save yourselves! Stay indoors! Start whining about it in pubs, and start giving eachother wrong advice about driving in slightly bad weather......Christ..... No you fucking retard! Having an AWD Ford Kuga babysuv does not give you a shorter braking distance on ice......no neither does your kia, yes I know it sais 'adventure' on the back, that does not make it a snowmobile.....

I really hate this country and especially it's drivers, incompetent, ignorant cunts.

I took the Jag today cause it's RWD makes it more fun in snow......maybee I'm the retard.

Uh, why can't you live near this?

As you point out, they are just mirrors that reflect sunlight. You are far enough away from the tower that contains all of the potential danger. I understand that power towers like this tend to be built in a desert and you may not want to live there.
My idea was that even at the 'wrong' angle for the mirror, with so many it's inevitable that you would get light flashes. I suppose I should've said you wouldn't want to overlook it, could just face the building away from it or build a wall I suppose.

Honest questions:

In those large solar arrays, are the mirrors self-aiming? If they were fixed, it would seem like only a small fraction of the mirrors would be throwing their light at the target at any given moment.

Would there be any danger of looking at where all of the mirrors are aimed, maybe similar to looking at an arc welder?

In those large solar arrays, are the mirrors self-aiming? If they were fixed, it would seem like only a small fraction of the mirrors would be throwing their light at the target at any given moment.
Yes, of course the mirrors are tracking the sun to use as much sunlight as possible, the systems are called concentrated solar power systems. There are different systems, but the ones with towers in the middle concentrate all of the sunlight which hits the mirrors to a central point where some material is heated and then the heated material is used to power a turbine or something similar to generate electricity.

Would there be any danger of looking at where all of the mirrors are aimed, maybe similar to looking at an arc welder?
The systems are built in a way that you can look at the receiver from outside of the system safely, but when birds fly through the concentrated sunrays they can singe/burn and die.

A friend just sent me a Facebook post with a clip of a colleague of mine a couple of streets from where I live, driving in a one way street in the wrong direction, nearly running over someone who was trying to stop him, hitting and damaging a traffic sign and then continuing his way with full throttle.
Now I'm in a position where on the one hand I don't want to rat someone out , but morally I feel like I need to forward that to one of my superiors. Especially because this isn't the first time he does something like this and he always claims it's someone else's fault. He's just an f-ing asshole on the road who pretty much thinks he owns the road, pretty much a typical hit and run kind of person.

A friend just sent me a Facebook post with a clip of a colleague of mine a couple of streets from where I live, driving in a one way street in the wrong direction, nearly running over someone who was trying to stop him, hitting and damaging a traffic sign and then continuing his way with full throttle.
Now I'm in a position where on the one hand I don't want to rat someone out , but morally I feel like I need to forward that to one of my superiors. Especially because this isn't the first time he does something like this and he always claims it's someone else's fault. He's just an f-ing asshole on the road who pretty much thinks he owns the road, pretty much a typical hit and run kind of person.

Why "report" him to one of your superiors? Why not the police? Get him off the road!

Why "report" him to one of your superiors? Why not the police? Get him off the road!
The person who filmed it already went to the police. Sent it to one of my superiors and his reply was "yeah well, we'll see if we receive a call from the police or any of the people involved who might have noted the company name/logo".
So basically as long as there are no official/external complaints nothing will be done.

It's just ridiculous what you can get away with at our company/division, it sometimes is really infuriating for those who trie to be a little professional.

I had to buy 5 different ant spray products, in 3 trips to the store, to get one where the included sprayer actually functioned at all. Three of them were electric-powered, two of them had a squeeze trigger (but not pressure-assisted) and only one actually was able to draw up the liquid up high enough to reach into the sprayer "head". Next time I'll get one of those pump-to-pressurize spray bottles.

The person who filmed it already went to the police. Sent it to one of my superiors and his reply was "yeah well, we'll see if we receive a call from the police or any of the people involved who might have noted the company name/logo".
So basically as long as there are no official/external complaints nothing will be done.

It's just ridiculous what you can get away with at our company/division, it sometimes is really infuriating for those who trie to be a little professional.

Then take it to your superiors superior.

Then take it to your superiors superior.
I think we still got a driver shortage in much of Europe so probably no one in the company is willing to let any driver go as long as they don't intentionally run over schoolkids in the company van while blasting "Ride of the Valkyries" at top volume and shouting "TODDLERS DONT SURF!"

got woken up at 3:30 by my daughter. had some quite intense stomach cramps and heartburn... but managed to get back to sleep for an hour or so until the alarm went at 6:15. by then: not great, but better. get in the car, drive to work, sit down at my desk: back to the stomach cramps!

... ok while typing this out had to actually run to the toilet in order not to puke across my desk. nice.

Been a while since i had 3am wake ups with existential panic. What sparked it was this dream of how Opel‘s were once the go to for that classic GM coolness, and then my dream switches to somebody driving a 60s Oldsmobile. Then the two drive off down a rural road with farmland around and i snap awake in a panic about my impending doom.

That wasnt so nice.

Dudes pissing on the street.
I feel like bashing their heads against the wall whenever I see some dude pissing against a wall/tree/trash can/etc, which happens every other day.
I nearly punched an old dude that was pissing on the wall right next to my door.
When I confronted him, he told me he "couldn't wait" and just "had to go". I told him I was gonna follow him and piss on his door, and proceeded to follow him. Turns out he lives in the same building as me. :mad:
That and all the dog shit and assorted litter on the ground annoys me to no end.
UGH

This is a bit niche, but Bipolar is not the same as Borderline Personality Disorder.

Every. Single. Time. Someone says another person in their life is "bipolar" what they end up describing is Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Look, Bipolar is a mood disorder! It's defining characteristic is a manic episode that is preceded or followed by a depressed state. While there is some overlap with BPD, the person who can only think is black-and-white and flips between them at a dizzying rate is not Bipolar.