The "Things that annoy me" thread

When I bought my Pixel 5, 5G wasn't even available here (yes, Portugal was the last country in the EU), but since January we have it available.
I never saw the 5G icon, but thought it was maybe due to poor coverage, but no. Google locks that feature so it only works in countries where it is officially sold. WHAT THE FUCK.
I mean, of course there is a way to root the phone and make it work, but WHY THE FUCK lock a feature like that?
And now I have a conundrum: is it worth it to do all that when the speeds are marginally faster and I probably won't notice in everyday use?
On the other hand, I have a habit of doing things out of spite...

It's completely not worth it I'd say but I support breaking these silly locks out of spite. 5G coverage hasn't made it this far out of English cities yet so I'm still using a 4G SIM. I might get a new contract soon as my current tariff is bordering on rip-off, that will be 5G just because.

It's completely not worth it I'd say but I support breaking these silly locks out of spite. 5G coverage hasn't made it this far out of English cities yet so I'm still using a 4G SIM. I might get a new contract soon as my current tariff is bordering on rip-off, that will be 5G just because.
Well, that's what happened to us.
We had separate carriers for mobile and home, and now we have one for both, double the data, 3 times the speed for home internet and all in all €30 cheaper. 5G is added automatically when you get a new plan.

When I bought my Pixel 5, 5G wasn't even available here (yes, Portugal was the last country in the EU), but since January we have it available.
I never saw the 5G icon, but thought it was maybe due to poor coverage, but no. Google locks that feature so it only works in countries where it is officially sold. WHAT THE FUCK.
I mean, of course there is a way to root the phone and make it work, but WHY THE FUCK lock a feature like that?
And now I have a conundrum: is it worth it to do all that when the speeds are marginally faster and I probably won't notice in everyday use?
On the other hand, I have a habit of doing things out of spite...

Your phone has a FM radio built in and then is not available unless you download an app.

Your phone has a FM radio built in and then is not available unless you download an app.

the older iPod had FM radio capabilities if you bought a dongle to plug into the accessory port.

mfm07.jpg

My mom saw a charge from "Facebook" on her bank statement. She drove to the bank, all ready to cancel the card, do a charge-back, etc.

It turns out this bank will try to "help" make statements easier to read. When it saw "FB", for the retail store "Five Below", its system decided to show it on her statement as "facebook", making her think someone was trying to steal from their account.

People who vote for a political party, yet have no idea what that party stands for.......how are these idiots allowed to vote?

People who vote for a political party, yet have no idea what that party stands for.......how are these idiots allowed to vote?

The ones that vote against what they want in the US. Like, I know school has a changed a little since they were last in school. Were they taught to just vote blindly or emotionally?

Nearly got driven off the road by a woman in an SUV. if I didn't swerve to the right and slam on the brakes, it would have destroyed my car or worse. You could tell this woman was already annoyed, by being stuck in traffic and slightly bobbing around, looking for a way out. She ignores my car and starts driving towards it. As I lay on the horn (my horn is one of those stern German ones), she continues driving at me. By the end of it, I was so terrified that I found a place to pull off and calm down for a bit.

My girlfriend has very small hands, and her whole life she's just gotten used to using Caps Lock instead of shift...every...single...time.

Her Lenovo laptop has this rather large on-screen notification every time you hit the Caps Lock key, which stays on for almost 4 full seconds, obscuring everything behind it. And there's no simple checkbox of radio button to turn it off. There is a way, but it's a way that a Lenovo rep on the support forum apologized for when offering it up.

There is a way, but it's a way that a Lenovo rep on the support forum apologized for when offering it up.
Was it "wipe the OS disk and reinstall a version of Windows that isn't infected with Lenovo bloatware"? That would be my solution! :p

That being said, toggling caps all the time isn't a brilliant habit so it's a good excuse to kick that and change the pinkie finger muscle memory to press shift instead.

Reminds me of something similar with my new keyboard. Glorious need to get their act together with their software. Or their hardware. The lovely new keyboard I have doesn't have Caps, Num or Scroll lock indicators. That's fine, neither does my Cooler Master MK750. The software for that allows you to set an 'active' colour for the RGB of that key, to contrast against the others. Glorious doesn't allow this for some reason.

For Caps, the Glorious solution is to blink the light bars on the side of the keyboard. That you can't see when using the keyboard normally... Thankfully I've got a solution, there's an addin for the Stream Deck that displays (and allows you to toggle) the status of Caps and Num lock. It's arguably more visible than any indicator on any keyboard ever, so that's nice. During testing I decided that I wanted to design the buttons to look like the Turbo Boost buttons in KITT, so I did. Because I could.

That being said, toggling caps all the time isn't a brilliant habit so it's a good excuse to kick that and change the pinkie finger muscle memory to press shift instead.
While I agree, she's 39-5/6ths years old, with a 20-year heavily-computer-based career (CAD work), so I don't expect her to change any-time soon. 😅

During testing I decided that I wanted to design the buttons to look like the Turbo Boost buttons in KITT, so I did. Because I could.

Those buttons are awesome. :)

While I agree, she's 39-5/6ths years old, with a 20-year heavily-computer-based career (CAD work), so I don't expect her to change any-time soon. 😅
That's fair, the business I work for revolves around CAD so I get how toggling Caps becomes a common thing. If all caps aren't regularly needed though, the Caps and shift keys could maybe be swapped with some remapping software. Allows existing muscle memory but a better result.

Are you trying to avoid saying that she is nearly 40 for a reason? 😂

Spring allergies. I hate winter though, so I'll deal with it for a month or so.

Spring allergies. I hate winter though, so I'll deal with it for a month or so.
I find it surprising how late my allergic reactions started this year, since they only started last week. Also, the intensity is much, much weaker this time. I'm probably gonna eat my words in a couple of days.