JC on the 350Z

No Boss

Neener, neener, I banned your title!
Car(s)
'07 Volvo XC70 Polestar, '01 Miata SE
Quick Question:

Everytime the TG crew talks about the 350Z, Jeremy always calls it "that Datsun with a Renault engine." I worked for a Nissan dealer for a long time and I understand the "Datsun" part, but what does he mean by Renault engine?

The 350Z has a Nissan engine, the VQ35DE. Clarkson makes a lot of mistakes when he talks about cars.

Apparently (according to [02x08], the engine is the 3.5L from the Vel-Satis.

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Apparently (according to [02x08], the engine is the 3.5L from the Vel-Satis.
its the same engine thats in the Vel-Satis. its also in the Renault Florence concept.

Yeah I work at a Nissan Dealer and was suprised that it was a Renault engine, also. But Renault basically owns Nissan...

...But that will change soon.

Thanks for your input guys.

So what's the situation, it's a Nissan engine that Renault is "borrowing" to put in there Vel-Satis? or is it a Renault engine that Nissan is using?

No Boss said:
Thanks for your input guys.

So what's the situation, it's a Nissan engine that Renault is "borrowing" to put in there Vel-Satis? or is it a Renault engine that Nissan is using?

It's a Nissan engine

Yes, it's a Nissan engine, their VQ series of V6s that have been around since 1995 and have been on Ward's 10 Best Engines list since then as well, a fact Nissan won't let you forget. So it's a Nissan engine that Renault is borrowing. Jeremy's just being goofy, that silly Brit.

BlaRo said:
Yes, it's a Nissan engine, their VQ series of V6s that have been around since 1995 and have been on Ward's 10 Best Engines list since then as well, a fact Nissan won't let you forget. So it's a Nissan engine that Renault is borrowing. Jeremy's just being goofy, that silly Brit.

Yeah I remember in the bathroom at the dealer I worked at they had a 30th(?) anniversary Z poster. And on it, it said "One of the best revving V6's of all time"

Frankly, even if it was a Renault engine, it's not the first time it's happened.

The original 240z's engine was pretty much a copy of a Mercedes engine. In order to keep costs down, the existing design was used, which in turn helped keep the overall price of the 240z low.

However, I'm nearly positive the 3.5 VQ is Nissan designed.

No Boss said:
whoster said:
they are now

Renault-Nissan

a full merger was announced this week.

kool, do you have an article or anything?

Does this mean they are going to throw all the dealers together again? I havent seen anything about this... :| Strange....

If they start building clios in sunderland, I will cry.

BlaRo said:
a fact Nissan won't let you forget.

LOL, that really has gone to their heads, too. I think the only cars they sell in America that DON'T have the VQ engine are the pickup and the Sentra. Unless the 4.0 V6 they sell isn't based on the VQ, but I'm assuming it is...

Kevin7 said:
BlaRo said:

LOL, that really has gone to their heads, too. I think the only cars they sell in America that DON'T have the VQ engine are the pickup and the Sentra. Unless the 4.0 V6 they sell isn't based on the VQ, but I'm assuming it is...

No you're right, pretty much the engines are the VQ's, the SR20's, and the 2.5's. That's about it.

No Boss said:
Kevin7 said:
BlaRo said:

No you're right, pretty much the engines are the VQ's, the SR20's, and the 2.5's. That's about it.
they dont make the sr20 anymore. and dont forget about the amazing dohc 5.6L v8 in the trucks. i would love for one of those to be in the 350z.

quick fact, ls1 and vk56de rods are interchangable