GM Rear/Front Wheel Drive Survey

^^ well if they were porsche owned, we would have a 9-7X that would be based on the touareg/cayenne, so it woulnt be that bad. It could offer better perfromance then a touareg and better looks then the cayenne. Other words, it can be a pile of poop, but still be better then the rebadged chevy trailblazer 9-7X we have now.

And the 9-2X could have been on the golf platform...which uhh i really dont see whats wrong with that.

Any pulling style has it pros and cons, you get some, you loose some.

But if somebody puts all FWD's or all RWD's in same basket then things got wrong.

Cars are different and if some in GM's survey talks about "I drove FWD ricewagon 1981 and because of that I can never again drive FWD". Its like some dread syndrome.

At the moment most powerful official Saab has bit over 300hp and nobody says its un-driveable.
Of course any car has its limit where chassis cant handle it anymore, even crappy RWD can get nasty.

Reason why Saab doesnt have AWD yet is about money, there has not been money for it, few "near there" projects have been until GM swinged its axe. Saab even has some AWD related patents/claims.

Somebody said that GM doenst know what to do with Saab when it comes to pulling styles but GM knows very well what to do. Saab was just used as example as FWD pioneer.

I bet VAG would make a good owner! Sure Bentley and Bugatti is getting a bit unholy, but it would still be better than whatever GM is trying to do.

trionic said:
Reason why Saab doesnt have AWD yet is about money, there has not been money for it, few "near there" projects have been until GM swinged its axe. Saab even has some AWD related patents/claims.

There would probably come alot of interesting innovation from Saab if they had the money. They were working on a 1,6L inline-5 a couple of years ago with variably compression! That would have been really cool, but iirc, the project was put down when they got bought by GM.

REAR WHEEL DRIVE ALL THE WAY BABY!!!

If there were a sporty cheap RWD car on the market now, I'd buy it. If you could match the formula of cars like the Cobalt or Scion tC and other small cheap cars that are FWD with RWD, that would be my first choice.

Kebab gud said:
vanMould said:
I bet VAG would make a good owner! Sure Bentley and Bugatti is getting a bit unholy, but it would still be better than whatever GM is trying to do.
VAG cant afford to buy shit..

Huh? They're doing bad? I thought that concern was rather wealthy with all their recent new cars...

there is a reson that porsche bought 20% of VW ..
VW is not in ford/GM terretory yet..
Porsche and LowerSaxony, who together hold 36.7 per cent of VW has even pushed Ferdinand Pi?ch out of VW, blaming him for beeing where they are now..

Kebab gud said:
there is a reson that porsche bought 20% of VW ..
VW is not in ford/GM terretory yet..
Porsche and LowerSaxony, who together hold 36.7 per cent of VW has even pushed Ferdinand Pi?ch out of VW, blaming him for beeing where they are now..

Ok...didn't know that.

This is pointless. SAAB is as functional as rainbow suspenders on chris reeves. Their resale value is WORSE than an Alfa Romeo for christ sake. There's no market for the car, therefore opinion on how to make it better, is worthless.

The only thing they got right was the exterior. Everything else is from the 20 yr old lego toy bin. And I HATE green dash lights. As much as I HATED the blue VW dashes. Gives you a goddamn brain tumor.

i rather have green or blue than the red audi uses

I have a Mk3 VW and that has the green dash lights, with silver gauges it's very easy to look at, and the blue was very nightclubish looking. Audi's red (althought it looks like im buying an Audi) is a little extreme, but i've never sat behind them at night to get a true impression

I see a case for both.

I mean, Saab have been using front drive for a while, however, there is a suitable GM RWD platform (the one that the new Holden Commodore is to be based on, plus many other GM cars) which could be used for a Saab.

What I think Saab need (but may have in other markets, not sure), is a 4WD (ok, SUV, for you Americans).

^:lmao:

i can only image how that would not have any grip at all :lol:

asthenia said:
Maybe if Porsche buys Saab, they could make a car that's rear-engine, FWD.

That'd be .... interesting.

Make it a transversal engine and that could be the dumbest drivetrain layout ever! ;)

That was the case with the old cars, but the new ones have white/red gauges unless you drive an S version. Then it's red/white needles, or just white on the S4. The red is BEST for night vision. The VW just gave me blurry double vision.

I don't see how changing the drivetrain is going to save SAAB from extinction. They couldn't survive on their own, and GM sure as hell can't save them when they're so far in debt. Yes, GM IS bankrupt.

What any car maker should do is offer a range of choices. Some people need AWD where they live, and others don't. For the rest, they can have FWD since SAAB isn't a performance car anyway. They're for "nice" people.