Saturn Sports Car?????

STLFJ40

In America I was watchin TV and I saw a fantasic looking sports car in a commerical, and was perplexed when I found out it was made by Saturn

I looked it up its called the Saturn Sky it will becoming out in Spring
I love how it looks, but it appears that it will run the fate of the Pontiac Stoltice (sp?) with a low bhp

SKY_scenic2.jpg

Re: Saturn Sports Car?????

STLFJ40 said:
In America I was watchin TV and I saw a fantasic looking sports car in a commerical, and was perplexed when I found out it was made by Saturn

I looked it up its called the Saturn Sky it will becoming out in Spring
I love how it looks, but it appears that it will run the fate of the Pontiac Stoltice (sp?) with a low bhp

SKY_scenic2.jpg

you've just found out about the saturn sky??? where have you been the past few months

old news, it's on the same platform as the solstice and uses the same engine. Though performance line may get a turbo...

I think it looks better than the Solstice. Now give me a hardtop with forced induction and I might have to snap one up when I graduate :D

i live in the midwest we don't get breaking news unless it is sports

i think its rad :lol:

or opel speedster
or vauxhall vx220

and it's based on the lotus elise

in other words, it's been whored out all over the world :lol:

Opel Speedster? It's the Opel GT...

The XJ220 was a Jaguar, maybe u think of the VX220? but that and the Speedster you also mentioned are a different car completely based on the Lotus Elise.

You are 100% correct when you refer to the whoring, though. ;)

corrected the vx before your comment ;)

but are you sure about the opel GT? i heard that the successor of the vx will be called the GT, not that there are (or will be) a vx220 and a GT?

and i neither knew the vx220 and speedster are a different car? they look identical!

(and if you enter opel GT in google, you only get the old one as result, while you get loads of pics of it when you search for opel speedster)

yeah i doubt there'd be both, this is GM we're talking about. When this goes on sale they'll probably put an end to the VX and the Speedster.

bone said:
corrected the vx before your comment ;)

but are you sure about the opel GT? i heard that the successor of the vx will be called the GT, not that there are (or will be) a vx220 and a GT?

and i neither knew the vx220 and speedster are a different car? they look identical!

(and if you enter opel GT in google, you only get the old one as result, while you get loads of pics of it when you search for opel speedster)
Opel have allready put out the presspictures and stuff... it is the Opel GT ..
the VX220 and speedster are identical ..

The speedster/VX220 is dead now.. (and lotus has nothing to do with Opel anymore)

Opel GT..
370287.jpg

370288.jpg

YF19pilot said:
old news, it's on the same platform as the solstice and uses the same engine. Though performance line may get a turbo...

Saw one at the Philadelphia auto show, the interior is exactly like the Solstice, it's a nice interior but it's kinda, well .....boring.

the topic irritates me :p
as soo as i see it i think of the song "Saturn Freeway" by Big Bang ..
:?

anyway.. i think is clear now that Saturn is becoming the US branch of Opel
just look at the Aura .. its screams Vectra...
(it has the same design but updated..)

EDIT: hell the aura is the facelifted Vectra with other rear lights and frontspoiler

0510_pontiac_solstice_06_445.jpg

0510_pontiac_solstice_01_445.jpg

This car is basically a re-bodied Pontiac Solstice. Unfortunately the USA gets stiffed on the cars (at first). Where the Opel GT will ONLY come with 260hp turbo 2.0 ecotec in europe, the USA will be stuck with a 2.4litre 4 with 177hp and a resistance to revs atleast for a little while. Thankfully the Pontiac solstice is getting a "GXP" version (think GTI or VXR for other badges), which will get the 2.0 turbo 4. No official news on whether the USA spec Saturn sky will get the 260hp engine eventually, but probably will as a "redline" model.

It's nice to see GM USA finally taking advantage of all the expertise their euro/japanese acquisitions have on high power, small engines.

Kebab: It's not that saturn appears to becoming Opel, some US magazines have reported that they slowly making Saturns all rebadged opels. Which is only a good thing as I like the looks of the Astra. GM badly needs to appeal to the younger "smaller engine is better" crowd with Turbo 4's and 6's. Not that big v8's should be killed of. Now if only GM would learn "Front wheel drive" and "V6" dont' go together.

Un-Dee said:
they should just stop mixing all the brands, or they'll go bust in no time

Actually, it's probably better to cross badge things. If you have a company that already has something of a foothold in a particular nation (lets say, Pontiac for instance), you're not going to import a new car and sell it under it's native name (GM isn't going to create Holden USA just to sell the Monaro). Also, cross platform sharing makes it cheaper to develop multiple lines of cars, but kinda becomes moot when you sell the same vehicle under five different names in the same country.

A Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky offer similar performance, but with two distinctly different body styles. Save money on developing the platform, and hit as many niche markets as possible. Then pick one and ship it off to another country and sell it there as an established brand, that is, make the Saturn Sky an Opel GT, or vice versa.

Now that ugly mini-van thing that GM is selling under the Chevy, Saturn, and Buick names is just unnessicary...

thedguy said:
Kebab: It's not that saturn appears to becoming Opel, some US magazines have reported that they slowly making Saturns all rebadged opels. Which is only a good thing as I like the looks of the Astra. GM badly needs to appeal to the younger "smaller engine is better" crowd with Turbo 4's and 6's. Not that big v8's should be killed of. Now if only GM would learn "Front wheel drive" and "V6" dont' go together.
They're working on it with the Cobalt SS and Saturn Ion Redline, as well as the GXP you've mentioned.

And it's "Front wheel drives and V8s don't go together."

YF19pilot said:
Un-Dee said:

Actually, it's probably better to cross badge things. If you have a company that already has something of a foothold in a particular nation (lets say, Pontiac for instance), you're not going to import a new car and sell it under it's native name (GM isn't going to create Holden USA just to sell the Monaro). Also, cross platform sharing makes it cheaper to develop multiple lines of cars, but kinda becomes moot when you sell the same vehicle under five different names in the same country.

A Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky offer similar performance, but with two distinctly different body styles. Save money on developing the platform, and hit as many niche markets as possible. Then pick one and ship it off to another country and sell it there as an established brand, that is, make the Saturn Sky an Opel GT, or vice versa.

Now that ugly mini-van thing that GM is selling under the Chevy, Saturn, and Buick names is just unnessicary...

And as we all see, the concept works great. Their best joke was to rename Daewoo as Chevrolet...

BlaRo said:
thedguy said:
They're working on it with the Cobalt SS and Saturn Ion Redline, as well as the GXP you've mentioned.

what doesnt work is having one car fighting its twin. the Ion Redline and Cobalt SS are direct competitors

BlaRo said:

That is even worse. Thankfully someone went to Cadillac and said "WTF do you think your doing with this? And now we have a respectable luxury sedan made by Americans.

bartboy9891 said:
what doesnt work is having one car fighting its twin. the Ion Redline and Cobalt SS are direct competitors

Do they still sell the Ion (Redline)? I think GM had saturn make it to help change Saturn's image. They are trying to turn saturn from one of GM's cheapest firms to the Oldsmobile replacement.

Un-Dee said:

They tried not to. No one would buy a Daewoo, but they will buy a Chevy (atleast in the USA). No one in the US knows what a Holden is, so trying to sell us a Holden Monaro would have been a problem. Making it the Pontiac GTO means they can sell us on the old muscle cars. They should have called it the "Chevy Lumina" cause it looks like a larger cavalier. Taking an Opel and selling it as a Saturn is a lot better than trying to sell us an Opel, most American's not into cars don't know what an Opel is. They do know Saturn makes decently priced, reliable cars, and the dealers don't haggle with you on pricing.