ALERT!! Attention Americans!! You MUST read this, please!!

Jay

the fool on the hill
19 days from today, CELL PHONE NUMBERS are being released to telemarketing companies and you WILL start to recieve sales calls. You will be charged for these calls. These telemarketers will eat up your free minutes and end up costing you money in the long run, plus its very rude and irratating. To prevent this, register your cell phone number at www.donotcall.gov Once completed, it will be illegal for them to call you for the duration of five years.

DO NOT HESITATE!!

Re: ALERT!! Attention Americans!! You MUST read this, plea

jayhawk said:
19 days from today, CELL PHONE NUMBERS are being released to telemarketing companies and you WILL start to recieve sales calls. You will be charged for these calls. These telemarketers will eat up your free minutes and end up costing you money in the long run, plus its very rude and irratating. To prevent this, register your cell phone number at www.donotcall.gov Once completed, it will be illegal for them to call you for the duration of five years.

DO NOT HESITATE!!

uhhhh... I did that when the donotcall list came out, anyway.

Thank you.

jayhawk said:

DO NOT HESITATE!!

it better be during my night and weekend minutes... :p

Im just gonna hang up...the donotcall list did nothing for the home line. :thumbsdown:

Thanks, just added both my numbers ;)

Meh, that's what caller ID is for.

America's cell phone service is really messed up, by the way. I mean, you have to pay for someone to call YOU?!? Unfathomable. :?

chaos386 said:
America's cell phone service is really messed up, by the way. I mean, you have to pay for someone to call YOU?!? Unfathomable. :?

x2

x3

I have actually a hard time believing that. That they will call you, that I can believe, but that you have to pay for it, is against all logic. I mean they can not charge you for something, you are not aware of, or for something that you did not agree to pay, or dont have a contract etc.

Normally, the only time they charge people for receiving a call is when you are abroad, using roaiming. But that's written in your contract with your mobile phone company.

I'm no lawyer, and I'm not familiar with cell phone services in the US, but this is really hard to believe.

maybe those marketing companies operate from outside the US?

am i happy that we have at least some privacy laws left (for now)

pdanev said:
x3

I have actually a hard time believing that. That they will call you, that I can believe, but that you have to pay for it, is against all logic. I mean they can not charge you for something, you are not aware of, or for something that you did not agree to pay, or dont have a contract etc.

Normally, the only time they charge people for receiving a call is when you are abroad, using roaiming. But that's written in your contract with your mobile phone company.

I'm no lawyer, and I'm not familiar with cell phone services in the US, but this is really hard to believe.
It's true. In America, when someone calls your cell phone and you answer, it comes out of your minutes. It sounds stupid, and it is, but that's how it works. :thumbsdown:

You can't even buy unlocked phones in the US! And I remember a friend of mine who had Verizon, and 30-second ringtones based on licensed songs cost $1.80, and would expire after two months! I mean c'mon, the full song is only $1 on iTunes or Napster. :roll:

pdanev said:
I have actually a hard time believing that. That they will call you, that I can believe, but that you have to pay for it, is against all logic.

Cell phones have always been like that here, for all calls. It's just the way it is. Most people that are serious about having a cell either have unlimited or so many minutes that it doesn't reallly matter....

Lilleput said:
haha does telemarketing still happen, damn thats so outdated and proven 10.000 times not to work.
Market research over the phone seems to be one of the quickest forms of collecting reliable and good data.
Tele sales at the other hand are useless and ineffective :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

chaos386 said:
pdanev said:
x3

It's true. In America, when someone calls your cell phone and you answer, it comes out of your minutes. It sounds stupid, and it is, but that's how it works. :thumbsdown:

You can't even buy unlocked phones in the US! And I remember a friend of mine who had Verizon, and 30-second ringtones based on licensed songs cost $1.80, and would expire after two months! I mean c'mon, the full song is only $1 on iTunes or Napster. :roll:

Yeah, our cell phone system is so broken here in the US. We have to pay for any time spent on our cell phones, and most phones, in order to get different ringtones, you do have to buy them from the provider, and they expire... At least I made sure that the phone I bought supported ringtones uploaded from my computer, even though I don't really use it anyway.

On buying unlocked phones, it's possible, it's just really expensive. I can buy unlocked cell phones from Cingular, but I have to usually pay $350USD+ to get one, that if someone were to buy locked would only cost $50.

and p0w3r you should actually report the companies that call you, if it doesn't work on your home phone line, if its on the DNC list. I believe the company gets fined for each call, and if they call repeatedly they get fined more, and i'm not sure but there may be a provision for you receiving some of the money that they are fined (it's been a long time since I read about the DNC list, so I don't remember off hand).

:lol: Youre getting screwed by your teleoperators

:bangin:
Thanks the gods we have laws protecting our privacy over here, and we pay to call someone, not the other way round. Who ever thought of that?

pdanev said:
So any time you get a call you have to pay? :? That's nutts...

yep, it's more than nuts, it's robbery....hehe

America has the most backwards and primitive cell phone network/program in the developed world. The phones in the UK and the rest of Europe puts ours to shame. I won't even begin talking about what the phones in Japan are capable of doing!

I hate my cell phone with a passion because I was spoiled by knowing what the rest of the world gets. I've even broken cell phones by throwing it against a concrete wall out of frustration. And I'm usually a calm person!

Z Draci said:
I've even broken cell phones by throwing it against a concrete wall out of frustration. And I'm usually a calm person!

dang dude, did you forget your pills that day or something? :D