Aftermarket Seats + Steeringwheel?

Izari

Resident Forum Noob
Car(s)
330XI
Hey I know I am in America and 'safety' regulations are like pests in a farm barn to automotive enthusiasts here.
BUT...
Wouldnt a set of race buckets with 4 or 5 point harnesses and aftermarket steeringwheel set up be safer than 3 point standard belt and airbags in my 350Z?

the seats i am looking to get are Corbeau FX1 Pro (i am not a big american guy i got size 30 waist lol so it should fit quite well and its fiberglass and weighs only 16 lbs a pop!), corbeau 2 inch harnesses and of course a momo/sparco steeringwheel + custom hub mount...

any comments?
i mean TVR in UK/Europe doesnt have ANY safety equipment not even ABS lol... and I understand my Z is equpped with tier 1 safety stuff like curtain airbags, side airbags, front airbags, all kinds of cumple zones etc......
removing the steering wheel + seat will kill frontal and side impact airbags BUT will leave window curtain airbags intact which is nice because the body will be strapped by the harness and curtain airbags will prevent window/glass from killing me?
comments thx?

definitely keep the airbags. you could get the seats i guess but it seems like a waste of money that you could put into performance espically if those are reclining seats which cost an assload.

no they are 1 piece race buckets...
:cry:
ps.
i dont think i care that i look completely ridiculous with race buckets and harness... lol

dont do it unless you are reqiured to do so either by a race official or the strip.

Re: Aftermarket Seats + Steeringwheel?

Izari said:
Hey I know I am in America and 'safety' regulations are like pests in a farm barn to automotive enthusiasts here.
BUT...
Wouldnt a set of race buckets with 4 or 5 point harnesses and aftermarket steeringwheel set up be safer than 3 point standard belt and airbags in my 350Z?

the seats i am looking to get are Corbeau FX1 Pro (i am not a big american guy i got size 30 waist lol so it should fit quite well and its fiberglass and weighs only 16 lbs a pop!), corbeau 2 inch harnesses and of course a momo/sparco steeringwheel + custom hub mount...

any comments?
i mean TVR in UK/Europe doesnt have ANY safety equipment not even ABS lol... and I understand my Z is equpped with tier 1 safety stuff like curtain airbags, side airbags, front airbags, all kinds of cumple zones etc......
removing the steering wheel + seat will kill frontal and side impact airbags BUT will leave window curtain airbags intact which is nice because the body will be strapped by the harness and curtain airbags will prevent window/glass from killing me?
comments thx?
A harness without a roll cage is basically a death trap. Seatbelts are designed so that if the roof caves in you get pushed out of the way, but with a harness you can't move, so your head is pushed down or to the side, resulting in a compressed spine or broken neck. Improper mounting can also result in a comressed spine even if you manage to stay upright. I don't know of any racing organization that allows the use of a harness sans roll cage(or at least bar) for those very reasons.

Steering wheels are also designed to collapse instead of impale you, unlike aftermarket racing wheels.

If you get a good 6 point cage, race buckets and all that, yes, it would probably be safer. But just one or the other isn't going to cut it, and makes you less safe. I don't know where you live or what the rules are, but around here nobody is going to tell you not to replace things with aftermarket parts. You may run into problems with insurance or something, but you can replace whatever you like on your car.

If your seats aren't holding you right in the turns, get a good set of buckets, but unless you get a roll bar make sure that your upper body can slide sideways and out of the way of the roof. Seats like Bride Artis, Vios and Low Max should be fine, but stay away from things like Gardis III or Maxis III. Also consider a lap belt. A lap belt is basically part of a harness, but just the lap part. It goes across the lap and locks, so you won't be able to move back and forth like when a normal seatbelt lets out slack. You may also look at other OEM seats that offer more bolstering, for instance I drive an FC3S, and while the stock seats are pretty great, Mazdaspeed or Infini seats offer even better support and are OEM.

If you are looking to compete in a racing series or drift series, look up the regulations before you do anything. If you're just doing it for show, then well, do whatever because you suck anyway. ;)

If you're gonna get seats, do it for a reason. Not just for show.

At least you're doing somthing right and putting them in a 2 seater. I hate it when someone puts racing seats in a 4 seater and leaves the back seat totally stock.

Why would you be carrying people in the back in the back of your fine racing 1992 Honda Civic DX Type-SiR VTECKH beast, anyway? I mean, if it has racing seats, then it's definitely prepped for Le Mans.

Note: this is a joke, based on a stereotype. Thank you for listening

zenkidori said:
Izari said:
BUT...

any comments?
comments thx?
A harness without a roll cage is basically a death trap. Seatbelts are designed so that if the roof caves in you get pushed out of the way, but with a harness you can't move, so your head is pushed down or to the side, resulting in a compressed spine or broken neck. Improper mounting can also result in a comressed spine even if you manage to stay upright. I don't know of any racing organization that allows the use of a harness sans roll cage(or at least bar) for those very reasons.

Steering wheels are also designed to collapse instead of impale you, unlike aftermarket racing wheels.

If you get a good 6 point cage, race buckets and all that, yes, it would probably be safer. But just one or the other isn't going to cut it, and makes you less safe. I don't know where you live or what the rules are, but around here nobody is going to tell you not to replace things with aftermarket parts. You may run into problems with insurance or something, but you can replace whatever you like on your car.

If your seats aren't holding you right in the turns, get a good set of buckets, but unless you get a roll bar make sure that your upper body can slide sideways and out of the way of the roof. Seats like Bride Artis, Vios and Low Max should be fine, but stay away from things like Gardis III or Maxis III. Also consider a lap belt. A lap belt is basically part of a harness, but just the lap part. It goes across the lap and locks, so you won't be able to move back and forth like when a normal seatbelt lets out slack. You may also look at other OEM seats that offer more bolstering, for instance I drive an FC3S, and while the stock seats are pretty great, Mazdaspeed or Infini seats offer even better support and are OEM.

If you are looking to compete in a racing series or drift series, look up the regulations before you do anything. If you're just doing it for show, then well, do whatever because you suck anyway. ;)

right now for street and minor fun use ie. auto-x, and non-comp fun stuff lol...
hmmm... my car is litterally 3-4 inches off the ground and my coilovers are bone shattering stiff lol... i have to drive off a cliff to flip the car driving on the street with my current set up lol...
the stock Z seats are very supportive compare with other OEM's but it doesnt look nice and weighs a ton! on top of that, when i drive a while it hurts my back :cry:
im figuring if i sell stock seats(300?), sell stock steering wheel(400?) i basically have a good portion of the funding for my set up alrdy...
nah mean?
i know i suck but for a college kid who drives a Z... i drive well :mrgreen:

Izari said:
for a college kid who drives a Z... i drive well

Modest too... ;)

Izari said:
when i drive a while it hurts my back

And you want to swap to aftermarket racing seats? :? I can't imagine that'd help much. Does your car have an airbag in the steering wheel? If so, I'd think twice about replacing it with an aftermarket one... Especially if you're not doing competitive events, performance wouldn't be worth the tradeoff in safety... but that's just my opinion. :)

from all the 1 piece race buckets i sat in, from cobra to ebay... they all feel great...
i mean like there is so much support that i feel that i am being held by something instead of feeling loose and slippery

i am NOT sure about long distance cruises with the race buckets, but initially and in short drives, they do feel a hell of alot better... (just my opinion)

and the steeringwheel ... i think the stock wheel is kind of big and clumsy...
a smaller 320mm or 340mm wheel would be perfect
i personally think the Z stock steering wheel is fugly, because its like a modified 3 spoke not a true 3 spoke like EVO, STi or S2000's steeringwheels... but then EVO/STi steering wheels are made by MOMO and S2000 is godly as always

Well its stupid to look at race seats if your back is hurting. If you want good seats that are more like "Sport" seat look at Sparco as they sell a line of street seats that are nice. They are ok, but pretty stiff. I would find a local dealer and see if they have demo seats to sit on before you buy, or cars that have it insalled.
BTW, another brand that is REALLY good is Recaro, as they are OE for some big name cars.
But the bigger problem is your setup my friend, if your going to have coil overs, your going to pay the price in comfort.

I would only get a racing seat and racing harness if I had a full racing roll cage.

Izari said:
from all the 1 piece race buckets i sat in, from cobra to ebay... they all feel great...
i mean like there is so much support that i feel that i am being held by something instead of feeling loose and slippery
Have you driven anywhere with those racing seats? Really sat in them for an hour or so? Tried to reach down for coffee or spare change while in the seat? Of course not, because you haven't installed them, but sitting in them for a minute doesn't mean your back won't stop hurting if you do buy and install those seats.

And you have lost the wing, have you? If I were you, I'd probably put some aftermarket wheels on the car first before moving to seats. Just my thoughts. ;)

if your getting rims, look for ssr longchamp xr-vip's. the loook freaking sweet. better yet heres a set of 18x10 +22 all around for sale.
DSC00188.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

1400 without tires.

I don't know any autoX organization that will let you run a harness without a cage, and if you run a cage you better have a fairly modified car to be competetive.

It's REALLY easy to flip lowered cars, trust me I have seen it. It only takes one small obstruction or uneveness of the road to toss you off balance. I GUARANTEE my S14 was lower than your Z, but it was still very possible to flip it, and a buddy of mine flipped his lowered S13 at the track, shit happens and there isn't anything you can do about it. Stiff coilovers actually can contribute to upsetting your car.

DO NOT GET CHEAP RACE SEATS! for crying out loud especially if your back hurts. ebay special corbas suck donkey ass. Invest in a GOOD set of seats like Sparco or Bride. A good set of seats makes all the difference, a Bride or Sparco sport seat will be much more comfortable than your stock seats if you get the right size. Also look out for fakes, a LOT of the ebay seats are fakes, and thus won't pass with any racing organization. If you see a listing for a Bride seat with Alcantara or suede or suede-like fabric, stop, it's a fake. Brides were never made with that.

well currently this is the set up...
yes the WING is gone :oops:

here...
2003 Fairlady Z

Modifications :

NISMO S-Tune Cat-Back Exhaust
NISMO R-Tune Cold air intake
NISMO R-Tune Brake pads f/r
NISMO Polished aluminium shift knob
NISMO JDM Spec rear spoiler
JIC FLTA-2 Coilovers
Topspeed Pro-1 Race pipes
EBC Slotted/Dimpled sport brake rotors
Goodridge SS brake lines
Custom Type-R Shift boot
Custom painted engine covers
Stripped trunk/spare removal
New clutch and transmission *warranty*

ENKEI RPM2 Race wheels
F - 18x8 ( 225/45/18 ) Bridgestones
R - 18.5x8 ( 245/45/18 ) Bridgestones

Ray's Engineering Drift wheels
F - 18x8 ( 225/45/18 ) Bridgestones
R - 18.5x8 ( 245/45/18 ) Bridgestones

umm...
are Corbeau race seats considered bad?
the FX1 Pro is made of fiberglass backing
5_02.jpg

Brides and recaros are awesome... what you think of MOMO?
i like the Acropolis Evolution seat...
acropolisevo.jpg

lol i like full race style seats its like a fetish somehow :mrgreen:

the momo is 500 dollars
corbeau is 300 dollars...