Fucking iPod

I know you said you wanted a capacity of around 10gb, but flash memory based players should have longer battery life.

Renesis... trust me, the Applecare warranty is very very useful, my 3G iPod is just out out warranty after a good 2 years of service and the iPod is still very good. Although it may seem expensive, it's going to be much cheaper than buying a new one when it screws up on the second year. Plus isn't it great when you scatch your iPod and you can get a new and shiny one immediately?

andyhui01 said:
Renesis... trust me, the Applecare warranty is very very useful, my 3G iPod is just out out warranty after a good 2 years of service and the iPod is still very good. Although it may seem expensive, it's going to be much cheaper than buying a new one when it screws up on the second year. Plus isn't it great when you scatch your iPod and you can get a new and shiny one immediately?

Yeah, I'm a strong believer in apple care warranties. As long as it is not obvious abuse, they will fix pretty much anything under warranty. I just wish that I had used my iPod more so I could get the hard drive replaced before the warranty ran out (the drive died about 6 months after the warranty ended).

I also have had enough with my ipod, it freezes, the batterys shite and now im going to buy a Sony Walkman this weekend, 6gig ? 135

wait wait, apple care warranty? what's that? what does it cover? how long does it cover? how much does it cost?

I recently bought the black video ipod and it's scratched like a mofo... I would like to keep this player for another few years if that is possible so the warranty seems like a good idea.

^ ive always wanted one of those, but the price is too high for the capacity that i want.

I love my nano. It's ridiculously small, holds 4GB, and the battery is as good as it gets. I hardly ever "consciously" charge it and it goes on the charge it gets from the car FM trasmitter when I plug it in and the charge it gets via USB when I sync with the PC.

It also syncs with my Outlook calendar and contacts which is very convenient in a work environment.

And yes, I work for MS and have an ipod :p

Re: Fucking iPod

Renesis said:
Ok so long story short, my iPod mini's battery is going out, it's going dead in the cold making it useless most of the time in the winter and it started to pop up some weird bugs for instance this morning it went slow as shit and froze up, the reset button combination only helped to turn it off.

So I'm sick of it and I'd like to consider my options to change it.

Please keep in mind my criterias

-Must be reasonably small (not a lot bigger than a mini!)
-A capacity of around 10GB would be great, anything over that is worthless unless it can play videos
-A color screen would be nice, a big one is a plus, especially if it can display photos
-Price isn't really an issue if it's reasonnable
-I'd REALLY like if there was a FM Transmitter accessory (not too expensive and of good quality) because it's the only way to use it in the car, and I use it for that A LOT.
-Something RELIABLE would be great, if you suggest the new iPod video okay, but please tell me more about what's been changed cause now.. I don't feel like buying Apple products again!

Alright, so I'm waiting for your suggestions, feel free to comment on what you have and what you think of it too.

Thanks

What about something like this http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/04/pioneer-unveils-inno-xm2go-portable-xm-radio-mp3-player/ or this http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/20/samsungs-helix-portable-xm-dap-available-for-preorder/

matt2000 said:
how 'bout an MP4 player. big screen for videos and pics, great sound, and lithium batteries

B0002IXB2E.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

this is the Archos AV400

review
http://www.mobilityguru.com/2004/07/06/archos/

I had an Archos portable drive (not an mp3 player or anything, just a 20 gig drive I bought because it could run off the USB power alone), and it's a pain to get it to work. Sometimes windows recognises that it's plugged in, sometimes not. I wouldn't trust any of their other products. :thumbsdown:

AxlxA said:
wait wait, apple care warranty? what's that? what does it cover? how long does it cover? how much does it cost?

I recently bought the black video ipod and it's scratched like a mofo... I would like to keep this player for another few years if that is possible so the warranty seems like a good idea.

It's the extra warranty from apple. The typical warranty on products is 90 days (for both machines and iPods IIRC). Applecare extends the warranty to 2 years (so you get 1 year and 9 months of additional coverage from date of purchase). It covers anything that can be construed as a manufacturing defect (not sure if scratches count...). If the battery dies to an unacceptable level, or the hard drive consistently has problems, they will replace it. I have also found that if you send stuff in for service, they will at times fix the other defects for free (like when I shipped my powerbook in for a hard drive, I got new palm rests, keyboard and speaker housings because they were scratched). I believe applecare for the ipod is either $99 or $79 (when I bought it, it was $59 because I was a student, so I wasn't sure of retail pricing).

hokiethang said:
I believe applecare for the ipod is either $99 or $79 (when I bought it, it was $59 because I was a student, so I wasn't sure of retail pricing).
can i still get that if my ipod is less than 90 days old? i just got a dent in the metal back:(

patrick10 said:
hokiethang said:
I believe applecare for the ipod is either $99 or $79 (when I bought it, it was $59 because I was a student, so I wasn't sure of retail pricing).
can i still get that if my ipod is less than 90 days old? i just got a dent in the metal back:(

Yes, as long as it is in the original warranty period. I don't know if they will cover the dent though, because it could be attributed to abuse, but it's worth trying.

and a PSP is a very crappy solution to the problem. The fact that it costs at least $350USD (once you buy the device and a 1GB MSPRO), where with the same money, you could pay $50 more and get 60x the storage, and pretty much all of the same capability (minus the games, which there aren't many good ones). Buying a PSP as an audio player, is like buying a screwdriver to drive a nail, and not just a regular screwdriver, but a ferrari screwdriver.

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Can't you just put the ipod inside your jacket Ren?

Yeah, and then get a new battery for under 10 bucks off ebay :)

You can buy replacement batteries and have them installed.

They aren't official Apple, but surely it is cheaper then buying a whole new unit.