Final Gear Top 100 - 6th place - 11 votes

Overheat

Forum Addict
Two cars tie for 6th:

Audi Quattro

audi_quattro_01.JPG

The Audi Quattro was a famous and historically significant Audi road and Rally car. Officially, the model name is simply "Quattro", always with a capital "Q" (although the graphics on the car, confusingly, refer to the AWD system and use a lowercase "q"). The word "quattro" with the lowercase "q" is used to refer to either the Audi AWD system, or any AWD version of an Audi automobile.

Audi released the original Quattro in 1980, making it both the first car to feature Audi's quattro All Wheel Drive system (hence its name) and the first to mate quattro with a turbocharged engine. The powerplant was a 2.1 L, single overhead cam, 10 valve straight-5 originally making 160 hp (149 kW) and eventually receiving upgrades to 200 hp and then to a twin-cam setup producing 220 hp (164 kW). It is considered one of the most significant rally cars of all time, and was one of the first to take advantage of the then-recently changed rules which allowed the use of all-wheel-drive in competition racing. Many critics doubted the viability of all-wheel-drive racers, thinking them to be too heavy and complex, yet the Quattro was an instant success, winning its first rally on its first outing. It won competition after competition for the next two years.

Total road car production is around 11 000 vehicles over the period 1980-1990. The body style received very little modification during its production run, the only significant changes were made for the 1985 model year, and included a new, sloping front grill and headlights and trim and badging changes. All Quattros were hand built in Germany by a dedicated crew.

Jaguar E-type

e-type_2_full.jpg

The Jaguar E-type or XK-E is an automobile manufactured by Jaguar Cars between 1961 and 1974. The E-type revolutionised sports car design, with performance, handling and looks ahead of its time. It was priced well below competing models, helping it to huge sales. In excess of 70,000 E-types were sold over 14 years.

The E-type was initially designed and shown to the public as a grand tourer in two seater coup? form (FHC or Fixed Head Coupe) and as convertible (OTS or Open Two Seater). The 2+2 version with a lengthened wheelbase was released several years later.

The model was made in 3 distinct versions generally referred to as "Series 1", "Series 2" and "Series 3". A transitional series between Series 1 and Series 2 is known unofficially as "Series 1?".

The Series 1 was introduced in March 1961, using the triple SU carburetted 3.8 litre 6-cylinder Jaguar XK6 engine from the XK150S. The first 500 cars built had flat floors and external hood latches. These cars are rare and more valuable. After that, the floors were dished to provide more leg room and the twin hood latches moved inside the car. The 3.8 litre engine was increased to 4.2 litres in late 1964.

All E-Types feature a fully-independent suspension for improved ride and handling, and power-assisted disc brakes on all four wheels, features that were uncommon for cars from that era.

The Series 1 can be recognised by the following features:

* Glass covered headlights (up to 1967).
* Small "mouth" opening at the front.
* Signal lights and taillights above bumpers.
* Exhaust tips are under the license plate in the rear.

3.8 litre cars have leather-upholstered bucket seats, an aluminum-trimmed center instrument panel and console (changed to vinyl and leather in 1963), and a 4-speed gearbox that lacks synchromesh for 1st gear ("Moss box"). 4.2 liter cars have more comfortable seats, improved brakes and electrical systems, and an all-synchromesh 4-speed gearbox. 4.2 litre cars also have a badge on the boot (trunk) proclaiming "Jaguar 4.2 Liter E-type" (3.8 cars have a simple "Jaguar" badge).

A 2+2 version of the coup? was added in 1966. The 2+2 offered the option of an automatic transmission. The body is slightly longer and the roof angles are different. The roadster remained a strict two-seater.

There was a transitional series of cars built in 1967-68, unofficially called "Series 1?", which are externally similar to Series 1 cars. The new features were open headlights, different switches, and some de-tuning (with a downgrade of twin Zenith-Stromberg carbs, from the original triple SU carbs) for US models. Some Series 1? cars also have twin cooling fans and adjustable seat backs. Series 2 features were gradually introduced into the Series 1, creating the unofficial Series 1? cars, but always with the Series 1 body style.

Open headlights without glass covers, a wrap-around rear bumper, re-positioned and larger front indicators and taillights below the bumpers, better cooling aided by an enlarged "mouth" and twin electric fans, and uprated brakes are hallmarks of Series 2 cars. De-tuned in US, but still with triple SUs in the UK, the engine is easily identified visually by the change from smooth polished cam covers to a more industrial 'ribbed' appearance. Late Series 1? cars also had ribbed cam covers. The interior and dashboard were also redesigned and slightly more comfortable seats fitted. Air conditioning and power steering were available as factory options. It was available in FHC, OTS, and 2+2 versions.

For Series 3 a new 5.3 L 12-cylinder Jaguar V12 engine was introduced, with uprated brakes and standard power steering. The short wheelbase FHC body style was discontinued and the V-12 was available only as a convertible and 2+2 coupe. The convertible used the longer-wheelbase 2+2 floorpan.

I'm rather surprised about the Quattro, I must say. Quite impressed that the E-type did so well too tbh. What do you lot think?

Cawk. That's my Quattro vote gone. Time to update the Top 100 Compilation thread too.

E type in 6th? rubbish. Now that the GTI, Mustang, Mini, 300SL, and Etype are down.... I have no idea.

I'm surprised to see the quattro so high.
the jaguar, i'm surprised to see so low, comparing to what it usually reaches in this kind of Tops. but i'm actually happy because ( :unsure: don't kill me :unsure: ) i've never really liked it :thumbsdown:

araracd said:
I'm surprised to see the quattro so high.
the jaguar, i'm surprised to see so low, comparing to what it usually reaches in this kind of Tops. but i'm actually happy because ( :unsure: don't kill me :unsure: ) i've never really liked it :thumbsdown:

:x For not liking the E-Type :ban?: :p

Sadly, my No.1 car only made it sixth :( Well, but if you thing that the competition are all cars ever made, that's quite an achievement to be proud of. I should have gone for the Quattro instead of the Audi 200. Wouldn't have believed it had so many fans out here!

What's really interesting is what is left now - for sure, one is the Porsche 911, but the others?

I don't think a skyline or an evo merit a place here. The M5 might though... :roll:

Sure shows this forum's European influence when the Audi Quattro is ranked higher than the Mustang and Corvette, which both have the heritage and legendary status to deserve a higher rank.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Audi Quattro and understand its importance to motoring (those amazing rally wins, the mass-market AWD with the turbo), but I'm also surprised at the results.

Fearless prediction: The Porsche 911 is 1st. Or 2nd. If it's not, I'll pull a Clarkson and eat my hair (can't think of anything more exciting or gross at the moment).

Well, there's my vote for the E-Type.

Dad had a red one of these and he said that although it was a shit cornering car, it was at its prime cruising at 160km/h on the Hume Highway. He loved that car, it's damn sexy!

Amazed by the high position of the Quattro but I guess it did change the face of AWD sedan motoring...

Yeah well, it's only natural. TG and FG audience already have the european influence or taste in cars. I know I do. Those are the people who hang around here.

v0od0o said:
I don't think a skyline or an evo merit a place here. The M5 might though... :roll:

yea but i remembered voting for an evo and a skyline and a M5 (and a few more that didnt show up yet). So they got to show up sooner or later :unsure:

Now that you're mentioning it, I remember the Skyline as well (only Japanese car on my list) - bet that'll come soon.

I am too young to remember these cars when they were popular so, really, don't like them :( and they look, not goot at all.

Xeon SX said:
I am too young to remember these cars when they were popular so, really, don't like them :( and they look, not goot at all.

I don't think you have to remember when a certain car was popular to appreciate it. I fell in love with the Quattro when I found interest in stories of Group B rallying. I'm not very old myself, in fact the car has me beat :) You can definitely appreciate the cars wihout having to have been around when they were big.

I haven't been around very long, but I would definitely have voted for the Quattro, so I'm happy it found a place up here. Many kudos to the E-Type too, though I would have expected it to be a bit higher.

Xeon SX said:
I am too young to remember these cars when they were popular so, really, don't like them :(
You are definitely not a fan of the E-type then :p
Or the F40, or the F50, or the McLaren F1 (well these were never "popular" at any point of time anyway), or the GTI...

I think you get my drift :)

Mmm It's good to see the daddy of the AWD rally rockets do so well. On the same level as the first pin-up car the E-Type? Probably not though.

Blaro, I do want to see either photos or video of the consumption of the locks if the 911 isn't in that position :twisted: Clarkson made the bold statement and he didn't reneg...

where's the top 100 Compilation thread?

Well, I am supremely disappointed that the E-type didn't make higher than 6th. The Quattro is a historic car, but it just doesn't carry the presence that the E-type does. I guess it goes to show the younger ages of the forum members. :p