Cosworth Vs Home Network Round 2

Paddy

Car(s)
'06 BMW 320 M Sport
Howdie folks,

I want to hook my laptop up to my Desktop. I tried the wireless route but failed so got my hands on a new non dodgey crossover cable.

Both are plugged into each other, what do I do next ?

Desktop = XP Home Edition, ZoneAlarm Firewall
Laptop = XP Pro, Norton Firewall

Okay, i've done that mad network wizard.

BUT.

On my desktop machine I can see my laptop under "View Workgroup Computers" but everytime I try to open it I get a message saying its not accessible.

On the laptop, when I click "View Workgroup computer" I get the same message that I can access the workgroup Home ??

That message should only come when there are no open shares. If you have shared some folders, then there might be other things like firewalls.

They can both see each other now but I'm still getting that

"\\laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to accesss this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

I get that when trying to access the laptop from the desktop and fom the desktop when trying to access the laptop.

Cosworth said:
They can both see each other now but I'm still getting that

"\\laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to accesss this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

I get that when trying to access the laptop from the desktop and fom the desktop when trying to access the laptop.

As hajj pointed out, very often that message means that the firewall is blocking Windows networking traffic. Try disabling both firewalls and see it that gets you somewhere.

jensked said:
So what's the score then?

Cosworth 1 - Home Network 1 ?

PREPARE FOR THE FINAL BATTLE !!
$10 on Home Network

if you connect them with a straight cable, and give them both fixed ip addresses, you can access them without a problem