• i wish i could eliminate it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • downloading a song or two once in a while never hurt anyone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bartboy9891

I'm not Moe
what are your thoughts on music piracy?

wrong options...because i would say that most sensible people here download lots of music, but do that to check out new bands and then also buy CDs...ok, with my limited budget as a student i cannot buy every CD i download, but p2p networks have enabled me to find lots of new bands and i buy more CDs than ever before.

you also mix up piracy and downloading/sharing. piracy is when you copy lots of CDs and then sell those pirated copies. thats a crime and i condemn that.

I'd say so long as ur not soley downloading music and not buying the CDs then i dont think theres a problem. Were at the very dawn of an open source and free copyright music revolution and i hope to see the day there's organizations that support bands and allow them to distribute their music for us at no cost other than donations or what have you. Theres some Copyright movement i forget whta its called but it was in the isue of wired that came with the free cd of music you could copy, distribute, and w/e

I'd rather keep my money than give them to the tyranic music mega companies, i only buy music i like from smaller lables.

I buy CDs only if I really like the songs I've "acquired". I've bought a few because of this, that I otherwise wouldn't have bothered. Downloading music is convenient when you want to sample songs before you decide whether you like the artist or not before wasting 15 bucks on whatever they're trying to pass off as rock music these days.

I mostly listen to artists that I have respect for, so I don't have any problem spending money on their music.

I don't ever buy CDs, because they break far too quick, are overpriced and good ones are hard to find.

I download music to find new music or sample new tracks, I then go buy the vinyl or head to shows of musicians I like and support.

any music which I download and then don't buy, I never would have bought in the first place so there isn't really any lost money thier. The RIAA and MPAA have horrible loss projections because they take how many times a song has been downloaded, then assume that if people couldn't download it they would have bought it and mutiply that by the cost and voila! they can now rant and rave about piracy costing them "billions" in "lost" revenue.

ryosuke said:
wrong options...because i would say that most sensible people here download lots of music, but do that to check out new bands and then also buy CDs...ok, with my limited budget as a student i cannot buy every CD i download, but p2p networks have enabled me to find lots of new bands and i buy more CDs than ever before.

you also mix up piracy and downloading/sharing. piracy is when you copy lots of CDs and then sell those pirated copies. thats a crime and i condemn that.
yea, the poll options are kinda flawed. but i tried to keep it simple (yes, no, maybe)

zenkidori said:
The RIAA and MPAA have horrible loss projections because they take how many times a song has been downloaded, then assume that if people couldn't download it they would have bought it and mutiply that by the cost and voila! they can now rant and rave about piracy costing them "billions" in "lost" revenue.
What he said.

I would buy it, but knowing that something that costs less than a buck to manufacture is being sold for 30bucks pisses me off (I?m using local currency).
Labels want big bucks from each end every new band they launch, so they pay radio stations to play the record ad nauseum, entering a vicious circle.
A guy here in Brazil came up with a very good idea: if you sell the CD with a magazine, taxes don?t aplly to it, only regular magazine taxes. They magazine+cd combo is sold for 10$, and considering the average price for a magazine is 7$, you pay only 3$ for the CD. Many many unknow bands are using this "loophole" to launch their records.