Making a top gear dvd

jonnyuk

Hi, im new here. I was just wondering if it was possible, or if anyone could tell me how to fit all episodes from one series onto a dvd? Ive got nero startsmart dvd software. Each episode is 350mb but when I add the video files they seem to be up to 700mb each. :? wondered if anyone else had these probs? Thanks

The size thing is because a dvd-compliant mpeg will always take up more space than a divx / xvid avi of the same quality as the compression isn't as efficient

Oh, and :welcome:

It is actually quite difficult to make a good DVD, takes me about 6 hours or so, that is converting all the video and making menus etc.

Plus you can't put all the eps of a season on one disk, not without loosing so much quality you wouldn't want to watch them. I would only put 4 episodes on one disk, especially as Top Gears are actually an hour long, not 45 minutes like US shows.

Basically I have decided that it is too much time and trouble to put them on DVD. I just back a whole series of .avi's onto a data disk and either put it in my PC or put them on my iPod when I want to watch them.

^ Ah but then you can't watch them in the comfort of your lounge room :)

(Having said that, I'm getting a bit tired of converting everything to DVD, so I'm looking at building a HTPC, or just running cables from the pc to the tv)

TechZ said:
I just use my DVD/DivX player to watch them on the TV, ultra-cheap nowadays :)

That is true.

fbc said:
but then you can't watch them in the comfort of your lounge room

You can if you have an iPod video and a set of AV cables.

lm_altview_avcable.jpg

I use these for when I want to move my iPod or take it somewhere, but for my main TV I have a dock and remote control.

lm_altview_ipoddock.jpg

lm_altview_universalremote.jpg

fbc said:
^ Ah but then you can't watch them in the comfort of your lounge room :)

S- Video cable + RCA cables + laptop = Saturdays gone.

I went up to Best Buy the other day, and had my friend pick my up the cables I needed. He got them for me (my price $45, his price $9) and spent the whole night lounging and watching the episodes on the plasma. So sweet.

Thanks everyone, I'll probably try to make a couple of dvds for each series then. Should I convert the files to another format or leave them as they are? (AVI)

:bangin: You will have to convert them. DVD needs MPEG2 video, not AVI.

As I said, everyone thinks it is this quick and easy process to make a DVD, it is long, hard and very confusing for the first couple of times until you work out what the hell you are doing.

Try this site, they have a lot of tools and guides on how to do everything to do with making DVD and links to the programs you will need.

www.videohelp.com

Yup, I used to put all sorts of shows on DVD, but after a while I just said screw this and just ran an svhs and audio cable from my computer to my tv in the other room.
With a wireless keyboard, it works like a charm. :)

I got so sick of eveybody asking me for DVD's of the new US shows, like Prison Break and Lost, so now I just give everybody, no matter who they are, a simple one word answer...."F**K OFF!"

Hi, i use a DVD player with Divx and Mpeg4 playback so dont have the problem of DVD, but for those that need DVD i use Nero Vision just drop `n drag the .avi`s and it converts and burns in simple 1 step process. I did this recently with the Victory By Design file fitted 3 episodes to each disk each as a chapter in the main menu.
Very simple to use.
Hope this helps