Brake horsepower or horsepower?

I think it has to do with where you are... North Americans seems to use HP whereas most European stuff I've seen/heard/read use BHP.

Shawn_230 said:
I think it has to do with where you are... North Americans seems to use HP whereas most European stuff I've seen/heard/read use BHP.
Thats correct. And there is a difference between Euro BHP and U.S. HP.

eg; An SL65 AMG, as you all know, has 612BHP in Euro measurement. In U.S. measurement, thats only 604HP though...

I can't explain why however...someone else probably can.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Shawn_230 said:

eg; An SL65 AMG, as you all know, has 612BHP in Euro measurement. In U.S. measurement, thats only 604HP though...

Differences like those can also be the result of different engine tuning for different market's emission requirements.

fbc said:
Shawn_230 said:

Differences like those can also be the result of different engine tuning for different market's emission requirements.
so it needs ro be more green for america than it is for europe?

i dont think so.

Carsightings said:
fbc said:
Shawn_230 said:

i dont think so.

Read what I wrote - I didn't say that was definitely the case with the SL65, just suggesting that output differences can occur in different markets due to emissions regs.

I think it's just a different way of phrasing it... because break horsepower refers to a special type of horsepower... but horsepower is generally taken to mean break horsepower. Check Wikipedia, you'll see what I mean.

hmmm

i though hp was at the engine, and bhp was at the wheels :oops:

Carsightings said:
fbc said:
Shawn_230 said:

i dont think so.
You'd be surprised actually. Cali has some pretty tight emissions standards, ones that we're actually considering adopting ourselves...

To bring even more confusion into this discussion the American used (don't know if they still do) the so called SAE hp which always resulted in slightly higher numbers then european measurements due to the way the power was measured.

Carsightings said:

i dont think so.

well, start thinking something else

why you think you hardly find any diesels in america?

Because gas was never expensive enough to warrant loud/stinky diesels?

bone said:
Carsightings said:

i dont think so.

well, start thinking something else

why you think you hardly find any diesels in america?

because we are idiots.

and our cars are now faster, heavier and slightly less fuel efficient that they were 30 years ago.... progress :?

i just read an article in the NY Times today - it seems some current Toyota Camry is faster 0-60 than a mid-70s Firebird... that made me laugh =)

Shawn_230 said:

Euro cars have pretty much always had higher hp ratings than US, mostly due to emissions controls Euro 911's, for example, lacked the catalytic converter for many years, giving them different tuning, and about 20 hp more from the same engine.

Furthermore, technically, metric horsepower is 98.6% of mechanical horsepower, so if this were the reason for the difference, the Euro numbers would actually be lower.

sandor_ said:
and our cars are now faster, heavier and slightly less fuel efficient that they were 30 years ago.... progress :?

heavier? those old muscle cars don't look all to light, how much did they averagely weigh?

bone said:
sandor_ said:

heavier? those old muscle cars don't look all to light, how much did they averagely weigh?

about 1800 kg if i remember correctly.