So, Where The Bloody Hell Are You?

flyingfridge

Car(s)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, VW Passat 118TSI
1103bloody_ad2_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

Heheh, Trust us to stir things up with a bit of "Paddock" or "Outback" talk. Heheh.
here's a bit off official commentary because i'm really not the prolonged typing type:

The AGE said:
Tourism Australia "might have been expected" to know its "bloody" ad campaign would be banned from UK TVs, the watchdog which proscribed it says.

The $180 million tourism promotion, which features the controversial slogan "Where the bloody hell are you?", was deemed too risque by the UK's Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre last week.

The BACC says in a statement on its website that many would view "bloody" as an offensive word and Tourism Australia "might have been expected" to know the ad would not be approved.

It says the Television Advertising Standards Code "prohibits material which is likely to be found offensive."

"Bloody" was ranked as the 27th most offensive word in a research report which the BACC uses to guide its decisions.

The report states: "Ninety-two per cent of respondents agreed with the current policy that says there should be no swearing or offensive language used in television advertisements at all."

The report also states 70 per cent of respondents thought "bloody" was either mildly, fairly or severely offensive.

Tourism Australia has used the same figures to show that 86 per cent of people thought the term "bloody" was either quite mild or not swearing at all.

Despite hailing the ruling as a blessing in disguise, Tourism Australia and the Federal Government are pressing the BACC to dismiss the ban.

"Our take out from the research is that the commercial clearly falls within what is acceptable," Tourism Australia's managing director, Scott Morrison, said.

Tourism Minister Fran Bailey said it was hypocritical of the BACC to have banned the tourism ad while approving two other commercials that contained the word "bloody".

Those ads were a Foster's commercial featuring Paul Hogan and a Toyota ad in which a talking goldfish says the word.

"The British have seen it before on their TV advertising and I don't think a lot has changed - it's not as if they have become more precious or stuffy overnight."

Mr Morrison said Tourism Australia had not planned the controversy to spark more publicity.

"The controversy, while not planned, is certainly grabbing attention. In such a competitive business you have to take your opportunities when they come your way," he said.

What do you reckon? It's certainly caused a big Hoo-Hah in the media here. I know the ads have been airing over there already without the word 'bloody', but our advertising gurus or pollies or whatever they call themselves are fighting with the BACC to get it in....

I was wondering this the other day when I was watching some old Top Gear eps. Is "bloody" concidered a swear in the UK and Austrailia??? Clarkson seemed to say it but muted himself during a news segment.

It is more acceptable to use the word bloody on a TV programme in the UK, but as soon as they put that or anything smilar in a Advetisement campaign complaints will start flooding in.

But I don't think bloody is really a swear word.

You know what they say: there's no such thing as bad publicity. I'd say Tourism Australia did it on purpose becasue they knew it would get widespread media coverage. On a related topic, did anyone see The Chaser's sendup of these ads? I'll see if I can find a video somewhere ...

That word has never made any sense to me...

I don't believe bloody is considered a swear word in Australia. You hear so many people using it every day, just the Poms being uptight about a hamrless word...

it used to be quite offensive, but we're becoming desensitesed to it now. i guess the same way that 'arse' or for the Americans, 'ass' used to be offensive but now everyone uses it...

I think its fine using the word bloody... they seem to use it on ad campaigns here
on the tram, for example "Be Patient, we're hosting a bloody big event"

And "bloody hell", "bloody oath", "bloody idiot" (TAC ads anyone?) are a part of the Aussie language, some more so than others but yeah, as 'fridge said, it's become severely desensitised.

^^ Yeah, it was probably the 'bloody idiot' drink driving campain that did most of the work to desensitise it. It was originally designed to be offensive to get people's attention. Now no-one gives a shit.

:lol: Trust us Aussies to think up a word that some people like, and others find offense to. BUGGER is another example of a word some people find offense to, but the best defense for using it is because it was in the Toyota ad a few years ago.

I think people find offense to them because they are more 'polite' subs for "F**KING".

Its a shame that this $180 mil ad won't be hitting the screens in the UK :(

^ well it is in the most part, they're just cutting out bloody, and they reckon the decision will be overturned in the next week or so.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
BUGGER is another example of a word some people find offense to

Which is understandable when you consider it's original meaning...

(No, I'm not offended by it in the least - buy I do know people who used the word a lot until they were told what it actually meant)

I just like the girl at the end of the ad. I can't remember her name....but I would go to that beach if she was there! :shock:

Sadly this is the best pic I could find of her. :cry:

Australia-bikini-girl.jpg

They mentioned her name on the news because they were sending her to England to promote the ad and convince them to change their minds. :thumbsup:

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
:lol: Trust us Aussies to think up a word that some people like, and others find offense to. BUGGER is another example of a word some people find offense to, but the best defense for using it is because it was in the Toyota ad a few years ago.

I think people find offense to them because they are more 'polite' subs for "F**KING".

Its a shame that this $180 mil ad won't be hitting the screens in the UK :(

Apart from being bloody stupid, as you can get away wih virtually anything these days on the BBC!, I believed that the word actually was used in England first before being "adopted" by the obvious UK-Aus connection in Australia? Wickipedia anyone?

Here you go! It was used in Britain long before being commonplace in Aus!

bloody - expletive adjective, as in 'bloody hell', or 'bloody nuisance' - Brewer's 1870 dictionary of phrase and fable explains that the use of the word 'bloody' in this sense ".....arose from associating folly or drunkenness, etc., with what are (were) called 'Bloods', or aristocratic rowdies...." Brewer explains also that this usage is in the same vein as the expression 'drunk as a lord', (a lord being a titled aristocrat in British society). Rowdy aristocrats were called 'Bloods' after the term for a thoroughbred horse, a 'blood-horse' (as in today's 'bloodstock' term, meaning thoroughbred horses). Clearly, the blood-horse metaphor captures both the aristocratic and unpredictable or wild elements of this meaning. The use of blood in this 'aristocratic' sense would have been reinforced by other similar metaphors: 'blood' was and still is a term used also to refer to family descent, and appears in many other lineage-related expressions, such as 'blood is thicker than water' (people are more loyal to their family members than to other people) and 'blue blood' (royalty or aristocratic people - an expression coming into England from France where 'sang blue' means of high aristocratic descent, the notion originating in Spain when it was believed that pre-Moorish old Spanish families had blue blood whereas the common people's blood was black. The blue blood imagery would have been strengthened throughout Western society by the idea of aristocratic people having paler skin, which therefore made their veins and blood appear more blue than normal people's.) The modern expression 'bloody' therefore derives from an old expression of unpredictable or drunken behaviour, dating back at least to the early 19th century.

It's conceivable, and I think likely, that since then people have inferred a Christ/crucifixion connection, which would have stigmatised the expression and added the taboo and blasphemy factor. 'Bloody' was regarded as quite a serious oath up until the 1980's, but now it's rare to find anyone who'd be truly offended to hear it being used.

It has also been suggested (ack B Bunker) that 'bloody' is a corruption of another oath, 'by our lady', which could (arguably, since no specific evidence seems to exist) have contributed to the adoption and use of the expression. If so, then (ack A Sobot) in a similar vein - no pun intended - the expression 'by our lord' might similarly have been developed, corrupted, or distorted to add to the 'bloody' mix.

The advertising regulator had given the word a ranking of 27 on its list of most offensive words, behind "crap" and just ahead of "God".

They rank the words :shock: How is crap offensive :?

I think we all know whats at No.1.

What the hell are you Canadians on about!?

What the hell are you Canadians on about!?

And so it rolls on. Controversy over our tourism ads has bloody well struck again. This time it's our friends from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. They don't like the word hell and won't be showing the ad during family friendly shows.

Bloody hell.

Canada bans Aussie ad campaign
Wednesday Mar 22 05:59 AEDT

No sooner than British censors cleared Australia's colourful tourism campaign, Canadian officials have banned it, but not because of the word "bloody".

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has refused to run the "Where The Bloody Hell Are You" ad during family television programming because of the word "hell," Toronto's Globe and Mail newspaper reports.

"It just shows you the different taste levels of audiences in various cultures," CBC spokeswoman Ruth Ellen Soles told the newspaper.

Tourism Australia last week submitted the commercials to the CBC and to Telecaster, which screens commercials before they appear on Canada's private broadcasters.

The CBC said the ad could run alongside most of its content, but not on two programs it characterised as "family" programming. It also would not be allowed in family Easter specials.

"We've also told the agency that we'll be monitoring audience reaction and if we get a significant number of complaints, we'll rethink running it," Soles told the Globe and Mail.

The head of Telecaster said that although it had approved the ads, it would flag them so individual broadcasters knew they contained objectionable language.

"Those are words that we would generally have problems with. They're on our list of bad words because we don't want kids picking up on that," said Jim Patterson, president and chief executive officer of the Television Bureau of Canada, which runs Telecaster.

Tourism Australia's Canada director Luke Jones said the adverts were likely to run there later this month or next.

British authorities allowed the advert to screen there at the weekend after Tourism Minister Fran Bailey flew over to persuade them to change their minds.

British television audiences will now be able to see the entire advertisement, which features Australia's top tourist attractions and ends with the tag line: "So where the bloody hell are you?".

The ad was pulled after Britain's Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre (BACC) objected to use of the word "bloody".

Taken from here

meh, only they only won't screen it on two shows, it's still going to run. big deal