Color Changing Tach

my friend's Chevy Blazer has a shift light

p0w3r said:
zenkidori said:
And shift lights are ghey in street cars.

Doesnt the wrx sti have a shift light in the middle of the tach?
I don't remember seeing one when I test drove the new one a couple weeks ago, but it's possible. My RX-7 has a shift up light and a buzzer, hahaha, but with a stock exhaust a normal driver would kind of need it. Not with my HKS tho, muhahahahahaha :evil:

zenkidori said:
p0w3r said:
zenkidori said:

Doesnt the wrx sti have a shift light in the middle of the tach?
I don't remember seeing one when I test drove the new one a couple weeks ago

Yeah it does, it's on the tach right above the center of the dial. It's smaller than the diameter of a pencil eraser, so it's not "rice". And it's also programable, you can assign it to come on at different revs depending on the gear you're in.

sti-gauges2.JPG

zenkidori said:
I could have used that graphic in my original post.

I made it about a year ago... feel free to share it!

I use these a lot too:

TRANSLATION.gif

obviously this one is limited:

cluepon.gif

zenkidori said:

I think it depends. In a really fast car I think it?s acceptable. But on cars that have just a noisy exhaust it?s stupid and ricey.
Sport motorcycles desperately need those, no wonder most manufacturers fit one as standard.

I have a shift light in my car. Came stock. Pretty helpful when the redline changes (4k to 9K) depending on engine tempature and other factors. Besides that though, I honestly don't see the point in having em...

JediMindGamez said:
I have a shift light in my car. Came stock. Pretty helpful when the redline changes (4k to 9K) depending on engine tempature and other factors. Besides that though, I honestly don't see the point in having em...

what kinda car?

JediMindGamez said:
your redline doesn't change based on the engine temps, just FYI.

An Elise

And yes the redline doesn't change, but the ECU won't let me rev past a certain RPM depending on the temp, etc.

JediMindGamez said:
An Elise

And yes the redline doesn't change, but the ECU won't let me rev past a certain RPM depending on the temp, etc.
I didn?t know that, but I liked it.
It reminds me of the BMW M5 (or was it the M3?) Wich changed the redline by turning on and off lights around the tachometer. Was it based on temperature also?

jensked said:
theclapp, isn't that like a sexual disease?

lol didn't take long for someone to bring that up....yeah, it is slang for an STD - My last name is Clapp, and I'm in the army. Most of my friends have seen war movies about Vietnam where the disease was widespread with American GIs, so my last name and the fact that I'm army added up to me getting the nickname.

Thanks for the answer about the car!

zenkidori said:
JediMindGamez said:
your redline doesn't change based on the engine temps, just FYI.

so what does determine your variable redline?
i also tought that is was changed along rising oil temp

Yea, it's mostly oil temp, but from what I've been told the quality of the air your getting, quality of the fuel, etc. all effect it a lil bit which may be true cause sometimes it'll max out at 8500 sometimes 8700.