Project about cars for school {need help}

Carsightings

So this is the deal. I need to do a project about cars for English class. Its very importnat since its 40% of my final grade!

So i was thinking about mercedez or ferrari since they have a long history but my teacher said no. She siad it needs to do a research project. We must do somthing like the affect of ferrari on X or How mercedez amg affects X. So i am not to sure what we can do.
However last night i saw some top gear on tv and i saw that episode when they are talking about what F1 gave us (flappy paddle gearboxs) then they spoke about what rally gave us. So i was thinking that maybe we could do the affect of rally cars on road cars. I mean they gave us 4wd diffs, they gave us the wrx sti and the evo and much more.

what do you think?whtever it is, there must be lots of info on it.

do the general "how motorsports changed cars"

so you don't have to limit or rally or F1, but can do them all

I'm thinking something along the lines of cars and safety.

Can you give us some more details, like:

- How long does it have to be
- Is it an essay or more like a proper research paper, divided into sections, with a problem/thesis statement etc
- Does it have to be something specific or more general
etc

So basically what are the requirements for the project?

pdanev said:

- Is it an essay or more like a proper research paper, divided into sections, with a problem/thesis statement etc
etc

well its a long one and it needs to be a proper research project. As for the subject i get to choose :)

Research every aspect of safety... a lot of solid material there.
ABS, Airbags, 3point seatbelts, ESP, traction control, every other electronic gadgets they put in new S class Mercs and in other technologically leading vehicles.

Carsightings said:
pdanev said:

etc

well its a long one and it needs to be a proper research project. As for the subject i get to choose :)

thats not very detail is it? So its just a research paper with sections? or do you have to present it? or is the research paper just in essay form? And you need to tell us a length, one of my research projects went on for about 10k words over hundreds of pages, I'm pretty sure that isn't what you want, but roughly how long does it need to be?

That's not very detailed indeed. :?

How long does it have to be, do you have to include or rely on other academic researches done in the field, does it have to be quantitative or qualitative, do you need to find out stuff yourself, or can you rely on secondary data, etc etc etc, there are about a zillion things that define exactly what you need to do.

Just saying "well its a long one and it needs to be a proper research project" doesnt tell me much.

speaking of projects... I have a 10minute presentation due on speed limits and safety plus my quickbooks assignment due in 3weeks... yikes!

And pete.. I dont' think Carsightings is at a level where they make them reference and do primary and secondary sources and where you MUST use academic resources. God I miss those days, referencing and doing research is a pain in the ass :D

the body of the work needs to be 8-10 pages of course we can go over by a few but not under! It needs to be in sections. Also you must do a index,summry and all that stuff. Anyway will will probbaly do it on motorsports and its affect on road cars.

as for info do you have nay good sites? and no not google :lol: .

well if its a academic research, I suggest you start in the Library before the internet. Just read up on history of motorsports and see what you can find which exists in Road cars today and do more research on it like where it came from and stuff ;)

If its academic research, SL65 recommends Wikipedia :lol: Don't my teachers just love that site...NOT :thumbsup:

Carsightings said:
the body of the work needs to be 8-10 pages of course we can go over by a few but not under! It needs to be in sections. Also you must do a index,summry and all that stuff. Anyway will will probbaly do it on motorsports and its affect on road cars.

as for info do you have nay good sites? and no not google :lol: .

Motorsports and effect on road cars, is waaaaaay too broad. It seems that your task is at a high level, so first of all you need a problem statement. Something specific, in the sort of "How does variable X affect variable Y", or "how does varaible X depend on variable Y" etc.

Avoid stuff like "The effect of motorsport on road cars", thats tooooo broad. It would need to be more like "The effect of the XYZ BMW engine on the production/marketing/selling strategies (whatsoever) of the ZYX car series".

If I were you I'd start in the library, or some online portal with academic articles, say ebsco. (you normally have to pay to get access to articles, but if you access such sites trhough your school network then you should have access) You need bulletproof data/info for your paper, so I'd avoid wikipedia.

Once again, if I were you, I'd do something in the field of the automotive industry. The topics are not exactly pure petrolhead stuff, you'll probabaly encounter some economics stuff, but it's still automotive related and should be interesting.

Here are a few examples from top of my head that could be interesting for you, and that you will find a DOZEN of info about:

- Toyota and JIT (Just in time) inventory management.
- The logistics of a Formula 1 team for instance (any team), or for that matter the logistics in any racing series, dtm, wtcc, whatever you want
- Ford and the famous conveyor belt story
- You can also write something about alliances/mergers/take overs in the automotive industry, tons of possibilities here as well

Well...If you were going the route of safety, I'd discuss seatbelts and airbags.

and use the book Unsafe At Any Speed as a great point of reference.

Re: Project about cars for school {need help}

Carsightings said:
So this is the deal. I need to do a project about cars for English class. Its very importnat since its 40% of my final grade!

So i was thinking about mercedez or ferrari since they have a long history but my teacher said no. She siad it needs to do a research project. We must do somthing like the affect of ferrari on X or How mercedez amg affects X. So i am not to sure what we can do.
However last night i saw some top gear on tv and i saw that episode when they are talking about what F1 gave us (flappy paddle gearboxs) then they spoke about what rally gave us. So i was thinking that maybe we could do the affect of rally cars on road cars. I mean they gave us 4wd diffs, they gave us the wrx sti and the evo and much more.

i wouldnt use top gear as a refenece since they often stretch the facts and can be inaccurate.

as for motorsports...i think audi pioneered thier FSI technology through thier Lemans program..and i thing thier DSG transmission has some roots in motorsports too.

Re: Project about cars for school {need help}

p0w3r said:
Carsightings said:

i wouldnt use top gear as a refenece since they often stretch the facts and can be inaccurate.

as for motorsports...i think audi pioneered thier FSI technology through thier Lemans program..and i thing thier DSG transmission has some roots in motorsports too.

thats all great and thanks but there is no info on any of those! :(