Mailman busted in London

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
I wonder if any of our friends in the UK were affected by this lazy (and greedy) mailman:

LONDON - A mailman who hoarded thousands of letters and parcels at his home was jailed for four months on Friday. Christopher Meek, 19, admitted hoarding 13,819 postal items, saying he had taken them home because his mailbag was too heavy for him to carry.

He was arrested in December after the Royal Mail received complaints from people who had not received Christmas gifts sent through the mail, prosecutors told Sunderland Magistrates' Court in northern England.

Meek opened more than 1,400 of the items and stole the contents, including compact disks and DVDs, jewelry and gift vouchers, prosecutors said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12247565/

Can you imagine how much trouble that would cause?

If you live in London and wonder whatever happened to that birthday present that was "lost" in the mail, now you know! :lol:

When I was in London last I watched a special report on the news about the dodgy mailmen. They sent a guy in undercover as a new employee and within 2 weeks all the other employees were explaining how they steal credit and bank cards from the mail, fly to the US for next to nothing, rack up thousands of pounds of charges and then fly back. The US authories don't bother chasing it up.

jensked said:
Meh that happens every year in Belgium. At least once a year they discover such a postman here :)

wow, really? That must really suck to be frequently having your mail picked off by some lamer.

Royal Mail is rather ineffective anyway, they lose quite a lot of their mail. Therefore it would be difficult to get caught if you steal only a few letters every day. But he simply overdid it.